Sig Gunk

Discussion in 'Gunsmithing' started by Woody, Mar 22, 2013.

1. Woody

Woody New Member

Mar 21, 2013
    Vidor,Tx.
    Got my first Sig the other day. 226 40s&w. What is this gunk all over it. It won't come off. I assume it is suppose to be on it?

2. M. Sage

M. Sage TGT Addict

Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    What gunk are you talking about?

3. hkusp1

hkusp1 TGT Addict TGT Supporter

Mar 25, 2009
    DALLAS, TX
    New sigs are hosed down with some kind of oil because they end up sitting on a shelf for awhile due to their price. That's the only gunk I've seen on a new sig.

Sent from my toaster using secret alien technology.

4. Rogue

Rogue Active Member

Oct 29, 2012
    Katy, TX
    Congrats, with 9mm being so scarce I wish I had purchased my 226 in 357sig or 40s&w. Mine was well oiled, but that sounds like something different. I would think some Hoppes #9 would take it off...

5. Dawico

Dawico TGT Addict

Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    I also don't know what gunk you are referring to, but I also have never owned a Sig.

If Hoppe's #9, brake parts cleaner/ Gun Scrubber, or WD40 doesn't remove it it probably ain't coming off.

6. navyguy

navyguy TGT Addict

Oct 22, 2008
    DFW Keller
    New Sig P series have Stainless Steel slides, most with Nitron finish. While it is possible for the slide to rust, especially at the points where the thing is fixtured while being nitroned, it is about as rust proof as there is. The frames are alloy so no rust there. Whatever is no your gun should come off with Hoppes, alcohol or other such chemicals. Then you do want to grease the frame rails liberally, as the nitron finish is fairly abrasive, and if run with little lubrication will wear out the frame pretty quickly. I also wipe mine down with an oily rag just to be on the safe side.

7. Woody

Woody New Member

Mar 21, 2013
    Vidor,Tx.
    Seams to be more like a grease than oil.

8. Woody

Woody New Member

Mar 21, 2013
    Vidor,Tx.
    All I had was Rem oil so I put it on a small spot and it did nothing. I will try the Hoppes. Thanks guys.

9. fgarcia3441

fgarcia3441 Active Member

Jan 17, 2013
    SA (Sea World Area)
    Can you post some pics. I have 2 Sigs, 1 of them a p226 and I have not experience that gunk you mention.

Also one of the cool things about p226, you can buy the conversion kit in .357sig or 40s&w. They come with a slide, barrel and magazine, once you buy either or you can just buy the barrel for the other caliber and use the same slide and magazine. You can make your p226 9mm capable of firing 3 different rounds if you want.

10. Woody

Woody New Member

Mar 21, 2013
    Vidor,Tx.
    Hoppe's #9 is some really good stuff, man! It smells good too! It took that gunk off my Sig and it really smells good, man. Wow Man! I can't stop smelling that stuff....Thanks!