• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Woody

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2013
    Vidor,Tx.
    Got my first Sig the other day. 226 40s&w. What is this gunk all over it. It won't come off. I assume it is suppose to be on it?

hkusp1

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 25, 2009
    DALLAS, TX
    New sigs are hosed down with some kind of oil because they end up sitting on a shelf for awhile due to their price. That's the only gunk I've seen on a new sig.

Sent from my toaster using secret alien technology.

Rogue

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 29, 2012
    Katy, TX
    Congrats, with 9mm being so scarce I wish I had purchased my 226 in 357sig or 40s&w. Mine was well oiled, but that sounds like something different. I would think some Hoppes #9 would take it off...

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    I also don't know what gunk you are referring to, but I also have never owned a Sig.

If Hoppe's #9, brake parts cleaner/ Gun Scrubber, or WD40 doesn't remove it it probably ain't coming off.

navyguy

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    DFW Keller
    New Sig P series have Stainless Steel slides, most with Nitron finish. While it is possible for the slide to rust, especially at the points where the thing is fixtured while being nitroned, it is about as rust proof as there is. The frames are alloy so no rust there. Whatever is no your gun should come off with Hoppes, alcohol or other such chemicals. Then you do want to grease the frame rails liberally, as the nitron finish is fairly abrasive, and if run with little lubrication will wear out the frame pretty quickly. I also wipe mine down with an oily rag just to be on the safe side.

fgarcia3441

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    SA (Sea World Area)
    All I had was Rem oil so I put it on a small spot and it did nothing. I will try the Hoppes. Thanks guys.

Can you post some pics. I have 2 Sigs, 1 of them a p226 and I have not experience that gunk you mention.

Also one of the cool things about p226, you can buy the conversion kit in .357sig or 40s&w. They come with a slide, barrel and magazine, once you buy either or you can just buy the barrel for the other caliber and use the same slide and magazine. You can make your p226 9mm capable of firing 3 different rounds if you want.

Woody

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2013
    Vidor,Tx.
    Hoppe's #9 is some really good stuff, man! It smells good too! It took that gunk off my Sig and it really smells good, man. Wow Man! I can't stop smelling that stuff....Thanks!

Woody

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2013
    Vidor,Tx.
    Can you post some pics. I have 2 Sigs, 1 of them a p226 and I have not experience that gunk you mention.

Also one of the cool things about p226, you can buy the conversion kit in .357sig or 40s&w. They come with a slide, barrel and magazine, once you buy either or you can just buy the barrel for the other caliber and use the same slide and magazine. You can make your p226 9mm capable of firing 3 different rounds if you want.

Did you buy your Sigs new? I hear the gunk is on all of them. But, I don't know anything, heck I never heard of Hoppes #9. That stuff smells good. I did know about the conversion kit and you are right, that is very cool. Wish I had the 357 barrel because 357 ammo was all that was available in Beaumont,Tx today.

navyguy

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    DFW Keller
    I did know about the conversion kit and you are right, that is very cool. Wish I had the 357 barrel because 357 ammo was all that was available in Beaumont,Tx today.

That is not quite correct. A 9mm Sig P series can NOT be converted to a .40 or .357Sig. A .40 on the other hand CAN be converted to a .357Sig or 9mm. You can go down from .40, but not up from 9mm. But no worries, it's still a great gun. Just remember for range sessions, grease the hell out of the slide to frame. Slide Glide is what I use but you can pick up white lithium grease from walmart or any automotive store that will work pretty well.

Last edited:

bptactical

BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 8, 2013
    CO
    OP- Do yourself a favor and completely disassemble the pistol. If you are uncomfortable with the process find a competent SIG armorer or 'Smith to do it for you. You need to detail clean the firearm and remove the factory Lubriplate type grease SIG uses. It will putrify into a sludge type mass and SIG has the neat habit of either way to much or not enough. I have also washed out metal chips in brand new SIGS. Wash it all down with a good solvent and re lube sparingly, oil if it rotates, grease if it slides.

fgarcia3441

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    SA (Sea World Area)
    Did you buy your Sigs new? I hear the gunk is on all of them. But, I don't know anything, heck I never heard of Hoppes #9. That stuff smells good. I did know about the conversion kit and you are right, that is very cool. Wish I had the 357 barrel because 357 ammo was all that was available in Beaumont,Tx today.

Yes got mine brand new, P226 MK25 and I didn't experience any of what you describe regarding it gunking up. There was an addendum on the box that mention that for the first 100 or 500 rounds to make sure the gun was well lubricated with the supply grease. I will look for the info tomorrow and post some pics of it.

That is not quite correct. A 9mm Sig P series can NOT be converted to a .40 or .357Sig. A .40 on the other hand CAN be converted to a .357Sig or 9mm. You can go down from .40, but not up from 9mm. But no worries, it's still a great gun. Just remember for range sessions, grease the hell out of the slide to frame. Slide Glide is what I use but you can pick up white lithium grease from walmart or any automotive store that will work pretty well.

That is not correct, I even call Sig customer service about the conversion kit. If you have 9mm you can buy the full conversion kit that includes slide, barrel and magazine to convert to 40 SW or .357sig depending on the kit you purchased. Once you have the full conversion kit than you can just buy the other barrel and get 3 calibers in 1 gun

Sig Sauer P226 .357 Caliber Exchange Kit

If you own a 40sw or 357sig you can convert from either caliber buy just buying the other caliber barrel. If you want to get a 9mm than you have to buy the full conversion kit again with slide, barrel and magazine.

Top Bottom