Sig P229 Questions

Discussion in 'Handguns' started by Gray Ghost, Sep 11, 2009.

1. Gray Ghost

Gray Ghost New Member

Sep 11, 2009
    Houston, TX
    I am going back and forth on this decision, so I thought I would throw it out and get some opinions. In the next 4 weeks I plan to purchase a Sig P229 Gen 2 with Night Sites in 40sw then drop a Bar-Sto 9mm conversion barrel in for EDC. I have looked at them with rails, without rails, in all blue, in all stainless, two tone, SAS, and every other variation out there. Here are my questions.

1) Does SAS really make a difference when drawing the weapon?
    2) Does the stainless slide actually cause more noticeable glare on sunny days than the blued?
    3) Rail - Does the rail cause issues with holsters? I am not a tactical operator, do I even really want the rail at all?

2. SIG_Fiend

SIG_Fiend Administrator TGT Supporter Admin

Feb 21, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Honestly, if it were me I would go with the non-rail frame for EDC as it's a bit less bulky. The P229 is already fairly large as it is, so it needs all the help it can get in that department. ;)

3. randmplumbingllc

randmplumbingllc Active Member

Jun 15, 2009
    El Paso
    I have a Sig 239 SAS, in .40 cal. Actually it is my carry weapon.

1 YES, IMO it does. It will not snag from concealed. After being sliced by my Colt Lightweight Commander and needing stiches, to me, it makes a difference.

2 No, it is more of a matte finish

3 No issues with a holster on my 226R Elite. My 239 is a little shorter and used concealed. IMO, if you are gonna CCW with it, I would not get the rail.

4. Texas1911

Texas1911 TGT Addict

May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    1.) It's a nice feature.
    2.) No, it's a nice silvery matte finish as others have said.
    3.) The rail isn't a big deal in my opinion. It will make re-holstering a bit harder, but the rail can be used for a light, which isn't operator so much as useful for home defense.

5. Okierifleman

Okierifleman Active Member

Mar 14, 2009
    Houston
    Yes, the SAS makes it easier to draw.
    No, the stainless will not produce any unwanted glare, its matte
    If you do not plan on mounting a light, dont get the rail, easy as that.

6. juwaba98

juwaba98 Well-Known

May 9, 2008
    North Zulch, TX
    If you decide to go SAS then you won't have to worry about the rail, it isn't available.

7. Tx_Av8tor

Tx_Av8tor New Member

Sep 11, 2009
    Palestine
    These things are cool i just wish they didnt cost so much! I want a p229 sas myself!

8. M. Sage

M. Sage TGT Addict

Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    1: Only from concealment, and it's only meant to keep you from snagging. "Sig Anti-Snag."

2: Probably not. It's a satin finish.

3: No problems here. I've heard they can chew a bit at leather holsters, but I'm thinking those are cheaper holsters that won't hold their shape and collapse in on the pistol a bit.

9. SIG_Fiend

SIG_Fiend Administrator TGT Supporter Admin

Feb 21, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Always remember, if you look for the CPO (Certified Previously Owned) Sigs that come in a red box (instead of a blue one), those are going to be significantly cheaper around the $450-650 price range roughly, depending on which model. Even a used, older Sig is still a top notch gun. I've only ever owned old ones, and all mine have pretty much always run like lawn mowers. ;)

10. TxShooter

TxShooter Member

Mar 16, 2008
    Houston Metro Area
    Just ordered a new P229 SAS .357 SIG Two Tone, and a .40 cal barrel factory direct under a LE purchase program. I have owned several sigs including a early model P229. Loved everyone of them and plan on keeping this new one a very long time......