• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Gray Ghost

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 11, 2009
    Houston, TX
    I am going back and forth on this decision, so I thought I would throw it out and get some opinions. In the next 4 weeks I plan to purchase a Sig P229 Gen 2 with Night Sites in 40sw then drop a Bar-Sto 9mm conversion barrel in for EDC. I have looked at them with rails, without rails, in all blue, in all stainless, two tone, SAS, and every other variation out there. Here are my questions.

1) Does SAS really make a difference when drawing the weapon?
    2) Does the stainless slide actually cause more noticeable glare on sunny days than the blued?
    3) Rail - Does the rail cause issues with holsters? I am not a tactical operator, do I even really want the rail at all?
    Lynx Defense

SIG_Fiend

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 21, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Honestly, if it were me I would go with the non-rail frame for EDC as it's a bit less bulky. The P229 is already fairly large as it is, so it needs all the help it can get in that department. ;)

randmplumbingllc

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    El Paso
    I am going back and forth on this decision, so I thought I would throw it out and get some opinions. In the next 4 weeks I plan to purchase a Sig P229 Gen 2 with Night Sites in 40sw then drop a Bar-Sto 9mm conversion barrel in for EDC. I have looked at them with rails, without rails, in all blue, in all stainless, two tone, SAS, and every other variation out there. Here are my questions.

2) Does the stainless slide actually cause more noticeable glare on sunny days than the blued?
    3) Rail - Does the rail cause issues with holsters? I am not a tactical operator, do I even really want the rail at all?

I have a Sig 239 SAS, in .40 cal. Actually it is my carry weapon.

1 YES, IMO it does. It will not snag from concealed. After being sliced by my Colt Lightweight Commander and needing stiches, to me, it makes a difference.

2 No, it is more of a matte finish

3 No issues with a holster on my 226R Elite. My 239 is a little shorter and used concealed. IMO, if you are gonna CCW with it, I would not get the rail.

Texas1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX

1.) It's a nice feature.
    2.) No, it's a nice silvery matte finish as others have said.
    3.) The rail isn't a big deal in my opinion. It will make re-holstering a bit harder, but the rail can be used for a light, which isn't operator so much as useful for home defense.

Okierifleman

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Houston
    Yes, the SAS makes it easier to draw.
    No, the stainless will not produce any unwanted glare, its matte
    If you do not plan on mounting a light, dont get the rail, easy as that.

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    1: Only from concealment, and it's only meant to keep you from snagging. "Sig Anti-Snag."

2: Probably not. It's a satin finish.

3: No problems here. I've heard they can chew a bit at leather holsters, but I'm thinking those are cheaper holsters that won't hold their shape and collapse in on the pistol a bit.

SIG_Fiend

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 21, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Always remember, if you look for the CPO (Certified Previously Owned) Sigs that come in a red box (instead of a blue one), those are going to be significantly cheaper around the $450-650 price range roughly, depending on which model. Even a used, older Sig is still a top notch gun. I've only ever owned old ones, and all mine have pretty much always run like lawn mowers. ;)

TxShooter

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 16, 2008
    Houston Metro Area
    Just ordered a new P229 SAS .357 SIG Two Tone, and a .40 cal barrel factory direct under a LE purchase program. I have owned several sigs including a early model P229. Loved everyone of them and plan on keeping this new one a very long time......

Cowtown

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 2, 2009
    FT. Worth
    Just ordered a new P229 SAS .357 SIG Two Tone, and a .40 cal barrel factory direct under a LE purchase program. I have owned several sigs including a early model P229. Loved everyone of them and plan on keeping this new one a very long time......

I want the same thing.....

Gray Ghost

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 11, 2009
    Houston, TX
    Thanks for the responses.

Has anyone had any experiance with converting the 40 to a 9mm using the Bar-Sto conversion barrel? I have heard good things about it, but just wanted to see if anyone had anything to say about it.

wgsigs

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 18, 2009
    DFW
    I have a P229R and bought a Bar-Sto 9mm conversion barrel. The barrel is very accurate (I shoot it better than the factory .40) and have not had any issues. However, when my son shot it, he had a couple of failures to lock when empty so the range where I bought it made some "adjustments". I still have not had any issues, but my son has not shot it since the work. I would highly recommend the purchase - 9mm ammo is a lot cheaper to practice with.

navyguy

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    DFW Keller
    The only issues with the Bar-Sto barrels are they don't guarantee they will 'drop in', meaniing sometimes a bit of fitting is required. I believe they will do that for you at no cost except for shipping (slide and barrel) back and forth.

Post back when you finally get your new gun. I'll be interested to know if it came with a plastic guide rod instead of the steel one.

Gray Ghost

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 11, 2009
    Houston, TX
    Hmm, interesting. Thanks wgsigs.

Post back when you finally get your new gun. I'll be interested to know if it came with a plastic guide rod instead of the steel one.

Will do. In the mean time I can tell you my P239 that is only a couple months out of the factory came with a plastic guide rod.

navyguy

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    DFW Keller
    Hmm, interesting. Thanks wgsigs.

Will do. In the mean time I can tell you my P239 that is only a couple months out of the factory came with a plastic guide rod.

Because some many people complained about that change (as well as the one mag fiasco) there was some talk about Sig going back to the metal guide rod. That is the first thing I would replace. Although I had a standard steel guide rod in my P226, I replaced it with a stainless steel.

Hutch

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Spring
    Always remember, if you look for the CPO (Certified Previously Owned) Sigs that come in a red box (instead of a blue one), those are going to be significantly cheaper around the $450-650 price range roughly, depending on which model. Even a used, older Sig is still a top notch gun. I've only ever owned old ones, and all mine have pretty much always run like lawn mowers. ;)
    Yup. That's what I did. Got my P226 with night sights for $500

Gray Ghost

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 11, 2009
    Houston, TX
    Yup. That's what I did. Got my P226 with night sights for $500

Bought a P229 .357 Sig Gen 2, Night Sites, SRT, Two Tone, CPO yesterday off GunBroker ($650). Should be here next Friday.

Does anyone have any recommendations on .357 JHP ammo? I am going to swap out the barrel for the 9mm conversion in a couple of weeks, but figured since I have the .357 barrel I would buy a box of ammo for it. Plus, I want to see what it is like.

Navyguy,

I will let you know about the guide rod, but I think the gun is 9 months old. I will end up replacing it if it is plastic.

navyguy

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    DFW Keller
    Does anyone have any recommendations on .357 JHP ammo? I am going to swap out the barrel for the 9mm conversion in a couple of weeks, but figured since I have the .357 barrel I would buy a box of ammo for it. Plus, I want to see what it is like.

Gold Dots are pretty good defense loads. Others are Federal Premium, Winchester Ranger and Honady TAP. I've only shot the Gold Dots and Rem UMC practice loads. .357 Sig is somewhat limited. But it's a great round. Accurate and lots of power. That would make a good carry option. Practice with the 9mm, and carry the .357.

Top Bottom