• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Gray Ghost

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 11, 2009
    Houston, TX
    Gold Dots are pretty good defense loads. Others are Federal Premium, Winchester Ranger and Honady TAP. I've only shot the Gold Dots and Rem UMC practice loads. .357 Sig is somewhat limited. But it's a great round. Accurate and lots of power. That would make a good carry option. Practice with the 9mm, and carry the .357.

Thanks for the recommendations. I am going to run a box of practice loads through it and see what I think about and EDC caliber.

Unless I missed it somewhere, Hornady does not make TAP or critical defense in .357 Sig. They make and LE .357 CQ Sig round, but since I am not LE it would be a pain to get.
    DK Firearms

TxShooter

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 16, 2008
    Houston Metro Area
    Bought a P229 .357 Sig Gen 2, Night Sites, SRT, Two Tone, CPO yesterday off GunBroker ($650). Should be here next Friday.

Does anyone have any recommendations on .357 JHP ammo? I am going to swap out the barrel for the 9mm conversion in a couple of weeks, but figured since I have the .357 barrel I would buy a box of ammo for it. Plus, I want to see what it is like.

Navyguy,

I will let you know about the guide rod, but I think the gun is 9 months old. I will end up replacing it if it is plastic.

Nice price on a CPO gun! I know you will be happy....I will still be waiting on mine from the factory...although they have already shipped the .40 cal barrel and extra mags I ordered at the same time....

navyguy

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    DFW Keller
    Thanks for the recommendations. I am going to run a box of practice loads through it and see what I think about and EDC caliber.

Unless I missed it somewhere, Hornady does not make TAP or critical defense in .357 Sig. They make and LE .357 CQ Sig round, but since I am not LE it would be a pain to get.

Well okay, I've had these for a few years now since I sold my P239 .357. Not TAP, but Hornady loads.

375sig-opm.gif

Texas42

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2008
    Texas

Look online at places like ammotogo.com and other places have that kind of ammo in stock. It is a bunch cheaper anyway. Really worth it.

There is even some in stock.
    http://www.ammunitiontogo.com/catalog1/index.php/cName/357-sig-hollow-point-ammo

navyguy

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    DFW Keller
    Does anyone know if the Hogue brand screws will work ok with the factory grips?

Yes they do, but my experience with Hogue screws on several Sigs was disapointing. They break off very easily. I had several break off in the frame threads. This was with tightening just barely enough to hold the grips without movement. Thankfully, the broken pieces came out easily using a small screwdriver. I would stick with OEM screws or the ones from TJ Custom. YMMV

navyguy

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    DFW Keller
    That's a good pistol for sure. SAS. Can't tell if it's DAK or DA/SA, but a good find none the less. Enjoy a great gun.

Gray Ghost

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 11, 2009
    Houston, TX
    I have had the P229 SAS for a couple of months now. When I got it I noticed some gouges in the top of the barrel, but did not think much of it. I recently received my Bar-Sto conversion (.357/.40 - 9mm). After playing around with it and cycling snap caps through it a few times I have noticed similar gouges appearing on the top of the new barrel. Is this normal?

Also, has anyone noticed that their Bar-Sto conversion barrel wiggles a little from side to side when you take hold of the piece that the rod/spring rest against (what is the name of that thing?)?

navyguy

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    DFW Keller
    The marks on the barrel are probably what's called Smiles which are perfectly normal and typical with Sig P series.

As for the conversion barrel moving... are you saying it moves when the slide is closed? if so that should not be. It should be locked up tight. Bar Sto conversion barrels are not "drop in" meaning that they may need some fitting. I believe they give some instruction on how to do that at their web site.

Here's a barrel out of my old P239 with about 50 rounds through it. They get way worse over time, but this does not effect the function.

barrel-right-OPM.gif

Gray Ghost

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 11, 2009
    Houston, TX
    The marks on the barrel are probably what's called Smiles which are perfectly normal and typical with Sig P series.

Not the smiles. These marks are on the top part of the barrel that shows through the slide.

Does anyone know where I can find a detailed diagram of a Sig Barrel? Feel foolish not using the right terms to describe where the gouges are.

As for the conversion barrel moving... are you saying it moves when the slide is closed? if so that should not be. It should be locked up tight. Bar Sto conversion barrels are not "drop in" meaning that they may need some fitting. I believe they give some instruction on how to do that at their web site.

It does not really seem to move when the slide is on the gun and closed. If you removed the slide and then turned it over and took a hold of the part of the barrel that the guide rod rests against the barrel moves a little from side to side.

navyguy

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    DFW Keller
    Not the smiles. These marks are on the top part of the barrel that shows through the slide.

Does anyone know where I can find a detailed diagram of a Sig Barrel? Feel foolish not using the right terms to describe where the gouges are.

It does not really seem to move when the slide is on the gun and closed. If you removed the slide and then turned it over and took a hold of the part of the barrel that the guide rod rests against the barrel moves a little from side to side.

I think you should give Bar Sto a call or email. As I said earlier, they are not always 100% drop in. I think that they will fit it for you if you send the slide and barrel and pay shipping both ways ($20?) It should be solid when sitting in the slide just by itself. My p226 with better than 8,000 rounds is solid as a rock in that condition.

Gray Ghost

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 11, 2009
    Houston, TX
    Bar-sto said it was fine and I have put about 500 rounds through it so far with no issues or miss feeds. I am taking my P229 to Teddy Jacobson next month anyway for an action job, trigger recess, short trigger, and some reliability work anyway. I am going to have him take a look at it then.

Top Bottom