• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • GPtwins

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 15, 2009
    Sachse, Tx
    Traded for a Sig P239 in .40 recently. In reviewing this gun I read about others swapping out the .40 bbl for a 9mm bbl and mags. Theoretically it should work if the OD are the same size but I don’t know those idjets. So I thought I would ask the ones I do know. Thoughts on changing out the barrel for the 9mm?

My plan is to make this my wife’s carry gun and thought the 9 might be easier to handle.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Capitol Armory ad

ADAMS75

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 18, 2021
    ITASCA, TX
    Traded for a Sig P239 in .40 recently. In reviewing this gun I read about others swapping out the .40 bbl for a 9mm bbl and mags. Theoretically it should work if the OD are the same size but I don’t know those idjets. So I thought I would ask the ones I do know. Thoughts on changing out the barrel for the 9mm?

My plan is to make this my wife’s carry gun and thought the 9 might be easier to handle.

I have googled what you want to do and there is a lot of articles on doing that very thing but I think the issue is the slide to barrel fit, the 40 and 357 sig barrel may be bigger in diameter then the 9.

Charlie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    'Top of the hill, Kerr County!
    Only my opinion but sounds to me like you are doing some changes that may or may not have any impact on the "handling" characteristics. Spending time and money to change caliber that may or may not work to improve the handling. My understanding is the only difference between the two calibers is the difference of 1mm from 9mm to 10mm (40 caliber). Just my opinion, I'd keep it in 40 caliber and select "softer shooting" ammo if it worked out to be too much for the shooter.

GPtwins

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 15, 2009
    Sachse, Tx
    The articles that I read regarding the potential swap from a .40 cal barrel to a 9mm barrel included swapping the recoil spring, barrel, and magazines. I also read about the possibility of stove piping during firing. Since the idea is to make this my wife's EDC then I think I will just stay with the .40 cal as it was designed. That way, I know the firearm is reliable.

Charlie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    Probably a good idea to stick with the 40 caliber. I think I'd rather have the 40 than the 9mm. But, although I've owned a 9mm, my caliber of choice is a 45ACP. I currently have only two in 45: the Colt Defender with a 3" barrel and the Colt Commander with the 4" barrel. I like them both.

GPtwins

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 15, 2009
    Sachse, Tx
    My preferred calibre is .357 Mag but I carry a full size 9mm on the hip daily. The comfort of having 17 rounds feels good to me. I do own a 1911 in .45 ACP and like it very much but I prefer my GP100 over them all. Been shooting that one for over 20 years and feel like I could drop a deer with it if I had to.

Sent from Mordor using an iPhone.

Charlie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    I personally do not feel like I've got to have a dozen or more rounds in my carry gun. It may be because of where I live, etc. My carry guns for the majority of the time I'm out somewhere are my Colt Defender (8 rds. 45ACP) or my S&W640 with 5 rounds of 357 magnum. Hell, the damn blast from the 357, 2" barrel would probably catch the bad guy on fire! :fire:

BillW

North Ft Worth FFL
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 25, 2009
    Haslet,TX
    As stated above, easily done from 40 to 357 SIG, mags virtually the same. I’ve seen some listed for sale with 9 and 40 barrels but not sure what else was changed if anything. Better search for 239 9mm mags before you make the decision. They don’t go cheap. 40/357 mags much easier to find.
    On another note, pm me if you ever decide to sell it.

Last edited:

quantum13

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 17, 2021
    Denton, TX
    Generally with Sigs, you can swap 40 for 357 but not 9mm. For the 226/229 its a different slide for sure and although many say it 'works' it's really not the right way. I suspect the 239 is the same and you'd need to get a conversion barrel from EFK or Barsto (not sure they make one for a 239)

Top Bottom