Join TexasGunTalk

Sig Romeo5 1x20mm thoughts

Discussion in 'Optics' started by WT_Foxtrot, Apr 6, 2019.

1. Sam7sf

Sam7sf TGT Addict

Yeah most red dots for ar’s work well with co witness setups. All this talk about it makes me wish I was blasting some critters

WT_Foxtrot likes this.
  2. V-Tach

V-Tach TGT Addict Forum Sponsor

Sep 30, 2012
    Rockport
    Sure a RDS can be used with a front sight on the S&W M&P 15...but it can be distracting.......changing out the front gas block/sight really isn't that difficult just remember that the pins are removed the opposite way of every other manufacturer.....They come out right to left instead of left to right......

ZX9RCAM and WT_Foxtrot like this.
  3. Bozz10mm

Bozz10mm TGT Addict TGT Supporter

Oct 5, 2013
    Georgetown
    The front sight will not interfere with the function of the red dot. It will co witness just fine. The Sig Sauer Romeo 5 comes with two bases. I used the short base for absolute co-witness with the red dot.

WT_Foxtrot likes this.
  4. WT_Foxtrot

WT_Foxtrot Active Member

Jan 23, 2019
    North Texas
    Very helpful Bozz....thanks!

Went ahead and ordered from Palmetto....thanks for everyone's input!!

Bozz10mm likes this.
  5. Bozz10mm

Bozz10mm TGT Addict TGT Supporter

Oct 5, 2013
    Georgetown
    When you get the red dot mounted and if you find you have astigmatism, causing a blurry or distorted dot, you can mitigate most of the distortion by using the iron sights and the red dot together.

WT_Foxtrot likes this.
  6. WT_Foxtrot

WT_Foxtrot Active Member

Jan 23, 2019
    North Texas
    IMG_1432.JPG Received and installed the Romeo5 last week. Was a breeze. Need to shoot for any fine tuning, but the thing co-witnessed with the iron sights right out of the box. I now see what all the hubbub is about.

Thanks for everyone's input.

Bozz10mm and Sam7sf like this.
  7. PinnedandRecessed

PinnedandRecessed Allegedly TGT Supporter

Feb 11, 2019
    Hays County
    For $119 shipped you can't beat it. It's on par with the Vortex Sparc I and II (which I also own). I'll go out on a limb and say in my experience the Romeo 5 is better than the Holosuns I have owned. I know many like them but the 2 I had were junk. I just bought another Romeo 5 for my PSA AK-P. We will see how it handles the heavier recoil of 7.62 vs 5.56. FWIW my favorite red dot to date is the Trijicon MRO. I use the MRO on tools that could be used for close range social work.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2019
    Sam7sf likes this.
  8. gshayd

gshayd Ugliest house on the block.

Nov 25, 2018
    Beaumont, Texas
    If your current pistol isn't red dot ready. EGW has a solution. no machining required. JUst something to take the rear sight out and something to put the rear sight rail in the slot.

http://www.egwguns.com/optima/docter/vortex-mounts/

For me, the distortion on a red dot/reflex clears up when I put my prescription glasses on.

I must have a dozen pistols with reflex style sights on them. I can't get a good rear sight picture or put the front sight in the center of the rear sight with my present eyesight. Love my Trijicon reflexes and Vortexes on my pistols nothing wrong with Vortex, Burris, Leupold, and others.

The sights I can come to using with good results is the sights with the different colored light tubes for the front and rear. I also Have a 1911 with the big dot Xcess that works great. I call it dotting the i and then firing.

I sold back my EOTechs and replaced them with Trijicon MROs and I also have a Trijicon ACOG and a couple of Aimpoints mounted along with a Reflex on MY AR15 rifles and pistols.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2019
  9. PinnedandRecessed

PinnedandRecessed Allegedly TGT Supporter

Feb 11, 2019
    Hays County
    I wonder how secure that mount is. With it only being dovetailed in will the mass of the red dot eventually cause it to move during recoil? Also, without the removal of slide material to counterbalance the optic will it overpower the recoil spring because it is too heavy? Intriguing idea though.

10. gshayd

gshayd Ugliest house on the block.

Nov 25, 2018
    Beaumont, Texas
    You can get mounts with full co-witness height. I usually set the red dot on top of the front sight for that and get the sight aligned. That way if the sight red dot sight goes belly up I can instantly go to the iron sights.I don't even need to remove them saving seconds to take of a quick mount. Get them in lower 1/3 co-witness. That way you have an uninterrupted view of the iron sights. They also come in low mounts.