• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • craftkr

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2011
    Rockport, Texas
    So I picked up a Sig Sauer 556R, the 556 platform but 7.62x39 aka the R is for Russian... I still don't understand their logic on that... but oh well. The first gen models of this rifle had some hiccups... but the second gen had most of that ironed out. Luckily this is a 2nd Gen and the original owner sent it back to Sig and they re worked it etc. etc.
    ve5a3eve.jpg

This is what it looked like when I got it, for whatever infinite reason SIG decided to put the little reflex sight on it vs. the fixed iron sights (rear diopter, I actually liked) like the 5.56 version. I tried to located some but they don't stay for sale long as people buy them quickly. After getting tired of searching I finally looked into my other options. I decided on a Troy battle rail in FDE, and then some HK style fixed Troy sights. Well I got home today and I saw that the UPS fairy had visited.... :weights:
    So I opened the safe, threw it in the vise and broke out the lock tight! :what: Came out pretty cool, I'm still waiting on a angled fore grip (magpul) to come in tomorrow, but I didn't want to wait.... I mean, I wouldn't wait.... :confused: Here's what it looks like now. Sights seem to align well and good ergonomics with cheek weld etc. And the factory hand guards seemed to rattle allot, but that's not an issue now. Over all pretty impressed with the Troy battle rail, even had a dove tail to slide in the gas bock for a set screw on the front of the rail. Went together rather well, and feels nice and solid. So here's what it looks like.
    duzutera.jpg

Over all it's a pretty cool rifle, has a swiss style folding stock. Nice for storage and I guess if you wanted to do sweeping with it as a room broom... Trying to decide to go duck hunting on Saturday or just go to the range and see how this thing shoots.
    Gun Zone Deals

Last edited:

craftkr

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2011
    Rockport, Texas
    Thanks, hopefully I might get to choot some piggys with it soon.... at least that's what I'm hoping for. This all started after acquiring my first Ak a few weeks ago. Cool rifle, but it just didn't seem like it was a tight gun... I know AK's are reliable and time tested and proven.... I still have it, but I found about these while doing some searching one night and felt this would be a better refined version of a similar to an AK... i.e. gas system, and 7.62x39.

9x19

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    I've thought about a Rock River LAR47, but I sold off all my AK stuff when the prices doubled... and I'm hesitant to get back into that cartridge.

If I did, with current prices for AKs, I'd opt for something "better" as well. I like optics these days and AKs are not the most optic-friendly option. That was easy to overlook at $300, but not at $700+

craftkr

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2011
    Rockport, Texas
    Ill be finishing it up if that angled magpul thingy comes in. Might go to range saturday. I need to shoot this and my AK.

Need to find a place to have another range day but for long guns.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 4

TXDARKHORSE361

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 15, 2012
    Ill be finishing it up if that angled magpul thingy comes in. Might go to range saturday. I need to shoot this and my AK.

Need to find a place to have another range day but for long guns.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 4

Yeah I agree, I'm gonna look into the Corpus Rifle and Pistol club, thinking about checking out their carbine match coming up on the 1st.

HillRider

BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    Helotes, TX
    Nice. I held the swat version recently. I like the original handguards better. Balances better and feels much lighter than with the rail. Check the folding stock, you will find it is a real imported swiss stock. I wonder what the previous owner found wrong with the 2nd Gen? I thought they were gtg.

craftkr

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2011
    Rockport, Texas
    MSRP is around 1300 but a site has them for 1159. I saw it this week. Cant remember the site.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 2

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    Any idea what they did to make these rifles start working? I only had the chance to look at one, and it looked like the barrel was waaaay out front of the magazine, with a huge gap for the next round to bridge on the way to the breech.

craftkr

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2011
    Rockport, Texas
    Any idea what they did to make these rifles start working? I only had the chance to look at one, and it looked like the barrel was waaaay out front of the magazine, with a huge gap for the next round to bridge on the way to the breech.

Something with the face of the bolt, and some other bolt carrier issues. Not sure on the exact problem, but from what I read the face of the bolt and some other modifications to the bolt.

craftkr

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2011
    Rockport, Texas
    Got to make it to the range today.

Ran 4 mags through it, not one problem. Ran Wolf, Tula, and Monarch Steel cased ammo.

Rifle is very smooth on cycling, not allot of recoil. Follow up shots were nice and easy.

Held pretty good groups with the Tula FMJ in a standing position at 30 yds. I didn't get to shoot much past that, the wind was coming off the berms past 30 and it was rather chilly. And it was starting to drizzle/mist.

I was even more impressed while cleaning it, very easy to disassemble and clean.

Overall I love this thing! I shot my AK and decided I don't like it anymore.... the Sig has spoiled me.

Top Bottom