• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TxShooter

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 16, 2008
    Houston Metro Area
    A few years back (I'll let you guess how long) I was getting ready to go to the police academy and needed to purchase what would be my first duty weapon. I took a drive with a friend to Texas State Distributers in Houston. They are no longer in business, but at the time they were located in the same building as the FBI and were strickly a LE only operation. You had to show some sort of ID to even get in the door.

The Sig LE rep was in the store and convinced me to buy the Sig P228. I went through the acadamy with this weapon and carried it with me daily for the first 4 years of my LE career. I then decided to start carrying Glock and retired the Sig. A short time later a sold it to another LE officer that wanted it. I needed the cash at the time but told him I wanted the first shot at buying it back if he ever decided to sell it.

Many years passed and I lost track of the buyer, but I always missed this gun and wished I had never sold it.

A little over a year ago we both came back to work at the same agency and he still had my old Sig. I tried to buy it back several times, but he was never interested. Last night while working overtime together he let me know he had traded it away. I happened to know the person he traded it to well and was able to buy it back for $350.00. I could not be happier!

Funny thing is, I checked my closet and I still have about 7 holsters for this gun. Guess I have to go stack up on 9mm again!
    Lynx Defense

oldnbald

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    Abilene, Texas
    Its good to see old friends getting back together... Nothing like cathing up on old time with your pistol....LOL

I know what you mean. I sold and old beat up Lightweight Commander to a friend some while back, and almost immediately regretted it. Luckily, he decided he didn't like the gun and wanted to trade it back to me for a Walther PP I had. I made him pay extra, but i got the Colt back and I'm going to keep it now.

mac79912

Well-Known
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2008
    Glad you got your baby back.I sold my Sig 228 after graduation as my department required the Glock 22.I really miss that Sig.

TxShooter

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 16, 2008
    Houston Metro Area
    Pictures

I will try to take a picture later this weekend. I already removed the factory grips and put the Houges I had on it years ago back on. I do need to replace the factory night sites as they are now very old and weak.

Any suggestions on aftermarket sites? Likes / don't likes?

juwaba98

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 9, 2008
    North Zulch, TX
    Any suggestions on aftermarket sites? Likes / don't likes?

I use Meprolights on my sigs. They are pretty much the standard aftermarket night sight for sig owners. Some people swear by them as the best. I won't go that far, but really do like them. They have the tritium inserts encased in a white plastic sleeve giving you the bright glowing night sight you need in the dark and also very nice 3-dot white sights during the day. Just my

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 14, 2008
    Nice story, glad you were able to get it back. I bought mine last year and I like it alot. Then again I haven't met a SIG I didn't like. ;)

228-2.jpg

228-5.jpg

JAFO

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 10, 2008
    S. A., TX
    I've got Meps on my 226, TruGlo tritiums on my 229, and I've also gone through a set of TruGlo TFOs.

The TFOs have offered the best overall usability, providing a nice, bright sight no matter what the lighting conditions. The downside? The front fiber optic tube popped out at about 3000 rounds. TruGlo offered to replace them for me, but I opted to have them send regular tritium sights instead.

Between the TruGlo tritium and the Meps, the brightness is about the same, but I like the white outline on the Meps during the day. I've also found that I shoot a blacked-out rear better than a three-dot system in daylight, so I colored in the rear sight with a Sharpie. It looks black during the day but the tritium shines through in the dark.

Another sight set I'd like to try would be the Heinie Straight-8, since I seem to line up verticle dots faster than horizontal ones.

TxShooter

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 16, 2008
    Houston Metro Area
    Picture

I had promised to post a picture sometime back and simply forgot.

She does not look too back considering she has been in and out of duty holsters since I originally bought her in 1996 until just receantly. I do plan on having her refinished sometime in the near future.

p228.jpg

Porter

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 3, 2008
    Houston
    I just want to take this opportunity to say I think you suck! I want one of those so damn bad I can taste it, but every time I think I've found the one that will be mine...something happens and I don't end up getting it.

Yeah I'm bitter, but that is a beautiful gun, and I'm glad to see it's back home where it belongs. Congrats!

brickboy240

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 19, 2008
    Houston, TX, USA
    Nice pistol!

I bought a 1991 P228 from Cole Distributing back in October for about 425 bucks. It was in very good condition and typical of SIG' early P-series guns...a great shooter. One of my favorite 9mms...no doubt about it.

Now...to find me a decent 9mm P226!

(you can never have too many SIGs)

- brickboy240

QBToo

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 19, 2008
    Dallas, TX (North Carrollton)
    Glad you got you P228 back. Sad that your friend wouldn't sell it back to you but "traded" it and then told you he traded it.....that's just a little inconsiderate/odd.

But the main thing is that you did get it back.......I miss my P228 also. I also miss my P225 with euro mag release!!!!

!!!

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 5, 2008
    Great story. Interesting main character -the P228 is the best. Happy ending.

Dog

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 29, 2008
    Central TX
    Lost mine in pre-divorce. Excellent firearm. Sold mine to a Waco police officer. He was a Sig collector and was really glad he got it.
    congrats.

sv6er

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 26, 2008
    I had promised to post a picture sometime back and simply forgot.

She does not look too back considering she has been in and out of duty holsters since I originally bought her in 1996 until just receantly. I do plan on having her refinished sometime in the near future.

p228.jpg

Great picture! That sig looks sweet.

How much you want for it?

Top Bottom