• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jcb7469

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Can someone talk to me about the Sig Suer P938,

I love the look, I love the fact that it looks like a baby 1911.
    A couple of quick questions,
    #1 Is it an accurate weapon,
    #2 how hard was it to carry
    #2A how do you carry it
    #2b what is your body type.( i dont wanna date you just wanna know how a 38 year old 6'1 200lb clumsy dude would wear it.)
    Any other alternatives
    #3 what is the street value of one ie what could i expect to pay for one used and or new from a dealer/individual(ballpark it guys i know it depends on several factors that are impossbile to detect)
    #4 what are some known problems and fixes for it.
    #5 Im assuming i need to practice with fmj and carry hollow points will it function with said ammo.
    thanks very much for your help and consideration.
    Texas SOT

mitchntx

Sarcasm Sensei
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 15, 2012
    Waco-ish
    I have a 938 and carried it for over a year.

1 - its as accurate as I am
    2 -2c - not hard. I carry it reverse draw at the 5 o'clock. Basically a left handed holster. I'm a big guy and the knurled grip dug into my fat-roll while seated.
    3 - they are pricey for what they are ... $6-700 last time I looked.
    4 - a buddy had a pin shear on the safety. Didn't affect operation, but had trouble engaging and disengaging the safety. Sig fixed it very quickly.

I'm a big Sig fan but ... I shot and bought an XDs in 9mm. I think may've replaced the 938.

Anger

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 7, 2010
    Washington MI (glorious in summer)
    #1 Is it an accurate weapon. Just dandy. Love the trigger.
    #2 how hard was it to carry. Don't like the thick ambi safety compared to Kahr but has a nicer trigger than the Kahr.
    #2A how do you carry it. 2 oclock
    #2b what is your body type. bout the same as you but shorter and heavier lol
    #3 what is the street value of one ie what could i expect to pay for one used and or new. I paid $650 shipped with laser, sold laser for $100.
    #4 what are some known problems and fixes for it. Mine has an extremely stiff slide release compared to others I've fondled at the gun shows.
    #5 Im assuming i need to practice with fmj and carry hollow points will it function with said ammo. practice with both to prove functionality.

jcb7469

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mitch, because im bored at work, and have nothing better to do, what does the xds give you that the 938 don't. Im not trying to be argumentative just curious. I have a xdm 40 which i really like, but I LOVE my range officer, however the range officer really aint a carry gun. I also have a RIA on order to bubba up with parts from brownells. So im looking for a small version of the range officer. I dont really forsee myself getting into a situation where I will need more than 7 rounds of any caliber. I tend to practice discretion more than valor. I dont do stupid things, go to stupid places or associate with stupid people. I alos jokingly ask what are your plans for your p938 rig?

Spcwolf

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 16, 2013
    Conroe tx
    I have the sig p238, same gun just in 380.
    it's almost the same size, I carry it in the pocket with the pinky extension on the mag. I am 5-11 220 pounds.
    It is a accurate little gun, has 3 dot tritium with sig rubber grips. I spent 600$

mitchntx

Sarcasm Sensei
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 15, 2012
    Waco-ish
    Mitch, because im bored at work, and have nothing better to do, what does the xds give you that the 938 don't. Im not trying to be argumentative just curious.

Fair question ... I have lobster claw hands.

The 938 fit me better than either the Shield or Nano.
    So it was my choice even though my little finger didn't have room on the grip.

The XDs with teh extended mag and lip gives my little finger a resting spot.
    The XDs feels a tick lighter unloaded and the grip is just a tick thicker.
    It fits my hand better still.

If it is replaced, the 938 will be handed down to either my bride or son-in-law most likely

STXdevilsquid

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 14, 2013
    Live Oak
    Can someone talk to me about the Sig Suer P938,

I love the look, I love the fact that it looks like a baby 1911.
    A couple of quick questions,
    #1 Is it an accurate weapon,
    #2 how hard was it to carry
    #2A how do you carry it
    #2b what is your body type.( i dont wanna date you just wanna know how a 38 year old 6'1 200lb clumsy dude would wear it.)
    Any other alternatives
    #3 what is the street value of one ie what could i expect to pay for one used and or new from a dealer/individual(ballpark it guys i know it depends on several factors that are impossbile to detect)
    #4 what are some known problems and fixes for it.
    #5 Im assuming i need to practice with fmj and carry hollow points will it function with said ammo.
    thanks very much for your help and consideration.

1 - yes for what it is
    2 - no issues carried, have to carry in IWB can't do pocket like my LCP. Smaller framed, no fat role yet but working on it.
    3 - I've been seeing them between 6-7$
    4 - most issues now are with ammo that I've read, I've had a couple FTF but was white box practice lighter ammo.
    5 - like tstated in 4, FMJ lighter practice ammo FTF, but just in first 50 rounds, not since, no issues with HP.

jcb7469

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Fair question ... I have lobster claw hands.

If it is replaced, the 938 will be handed down to either my bride or son-in-law most likely

Thats honestly a better way to dispose of a pistol than selling outside the family.

I have given guns away to friends/family but never sold one either. but if you give away to friends will you be my friend.jk

Whisky

Well-Known
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2013
    1stly I suggest you go to a Sig forum for more on the 938

2nd, I've had my 938 for quite a while - bought it new from my LGS and paid a premium for it

I love the "idea" of the pistol - but - I had nothing but FTE troubles with it - it's been back to Sig twice and they didn't nothing to fix it

turns out that mine doesn't like 115gr ammo - the smiths at Sig shoot nothing but 124gr and send notes back saying "try a heavier bullet OR it must be the shooter (insinuating that I limpwrist - I DON'T limpwrist)

but Sig has never come out saying "use a bullet heavier than 115gr" (b@stards !)

also guessing on the forums that earlier builds had that FTE problem - mine is a late Nov '12 build

I now shoot nothing in 115gr ammo and carry 124 and 147gr 9mm NATO, which is basically +P pressurized. I've not had problems with the heavier bullets

I do "carry" the 938 as a pocket pistol in the summer (my Wife has a 238, which also had it's problem - a FTF thing, until I used my Dremel to polish the feed ramp). she doesn't like shooting my 938 but loves her 238 - says the recoil is too much (tho she shoots all her Glocks and her STI and has no problem

accuracy is what you'd expect for a 3" barrel - very good at 12yds and closer

TundraWookiee

Scruffy Nerf Herder
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 9, 2012
    Cedar Park
    My P938 has performed flawlessly and everyone who has shot it has loved it. I split carry duty between it and my G19. Never had a FTF and only one FTE in the first mag I ran through it and I've had it and been shooting it for well over a year now. Mine has no issues with 115gr. I've heard people complain about having a heavy trigger (like 15 lbs) but I think a few people either modified theirs in some way that changed it or simply got a bad one cuz mine is 7.2 lbs factory. I'm comfortable with that for a single action carry gun.

Shorts

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2008
    Texas
    I love my 938 but it hasn't been without it's issues.

Went back to Sig the week I bought it before I shot it for an out of spec barrel. It came back just fine and shoot everything. I do still question the primer strikes it results and the firing pin aperture chamfer. Sig says it's normal but I keep my eye open for other 938 owners to ask and see.

To your questions:
    #1 Is it an accurate weapon? Accurate for the range it will be used in, self defense ranges inside 10yds. I've shot it off a rest at 15yds and determined a bullseye gun it isn't, orrather, bullseye shooter I'm not. I'm not the best pistol shooter at dstance but kept it on a paper plate. From such a short barrel it is ok. I had my E marksman husband shoot it as well. His description and results were also "on a paper plate".

#2 how hard was it to carry? It is an easy carry IWB. I have the rubber grips with finger grooves so they add a little bulk. This gun would be even easier to carry with flat panel grips.

#2A how do you carry it? IWB

#2b what is your body type.( i dont wanna date you just wanna know how a 38 year old 6'1 200lb clumsy dude would wear it.) - I'm a 5'3" 115 female.

Any other alternatives ? Well, I could get down 112lbs, takes work though.

#3 what is the street value of one ie what could i expect to pay for one used and or new from a dealer/individual(ballpark it guys i know it depends on several factors that are impossbile to detect)? At the gun show a dealer had a new on for $640 cash. Don't forget the extra mag and tax to get out the door. That brought it to just under $740.

#4 what are some known problems and fixes for it.? Folks like to replace the plastic trigger with an aluminum one. Folks don't like how heavy it is for an SA trigger. Folks don't like the ambi safety and install the 238 unit for a single sided safety. Personally the trigger pull weight is just fine for SD. If you are shooting drills you will not notice and it is a non-issue. If you're working slow fire target practice you will notice. I have no intention of doing any trigger work. It has smoothed out with several hundred rounds anyway.

#5 Im assuming i need to practice with fmj and carry hollow points will it function with said ammo.? Yes. My gun runs on various brands of FMJ and JHP. I verified it by shooting through drills. I'd encourage you to do the same if this is an SD gun to ensure the gun cycles reliably at SD pace (rapid fire, followups etc).

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    You should always be sure a carry gun will function whatever ammo you plan to carry through every magazine you plan to carry.

I had a Beretta that did not like Car Bon. At all.

rl96ss

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Feb 20, 2013
    CenTex
    Had a 938 for about a month. Only fired WWB out of it 115 grain. After 2 range trips and a several Fte's didn't care to figure out was wrong with it. Traded it as soon as I could.
    Never liked the way it felt in my hand.

Top Bottom