• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Englishman

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 24, 2009
    The New World
    I’m looking at getting another handgun to supplement my 380 with ammo availability issues. I have been looking at Sigs and I like the idea of having one with 22 + 9mm barrels to be able to practice at modest cost with the 22, but be able to shoot larger rounds with the same gun in competition. However, I am little confused by the Sig website where its implies that the 220, 226 and 229 are basically the same gun. Is it the case that say the 226 can handle 22 + one other size (9mm) and the others are 22 + 45 or 357?

If anyone has a Sig with 2 size barrels I would be interested to know:-
    • How the dual caliber works for you
    • Is shooting 22 valid practice for shooting the same gun in a larger cal?
    • What was the “unbelievable price” you paid using the conversion voucher Sig says it offers?
    Any help here appreciated.
    Capitol Armory ad

juwaba98

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 9, 2008
    North Zulch, TX
    First off a SIG is a fine choice.

However, you may be under the wrong impression about the caliber changing from centerfire to rimfire. The P-series SIG pistols are not all the same, but do have available .22lr conversion kits. This is not a simple barrel swap, rather an entire separate slide assembly.

The P220 and P226 are the most similar in size, but the P220 is available in .45acp only whereas the P226 is available in 9mm, .40s&w, or .357sig. Both are also available in a .22lr configuration (called Two-Step) with the option to buy the centerfire upper in your choice of caliber (except the P220 which as noted is .45acp only).

The P229 is a smaller more compact model available in 9mm, .40s&w, and .357sig. It has an available .22lr conversion kit for it, but I've not seen any Two-Step versions available.

If you are looking into this, the Two-Step is a great way to go as you can get the P226 or P220 in .22lr for about $499-$549 depending on local pricing and then purchase the centerfire slide assembly of your choice for $399 or less and have both calibers for just slightly higher than the cost of just a new P226 or P220. going the other way (buying centerfire pistol first, then the conversion kit) will cost a good bit more when you look at $749+tax (or more) and then $349-$399 for the .22lr conversion kit.

Shooting a .22lr is indeed valid practice for shooting the same gun in a larger caliber when mixed with shooting the larger cal as well. I say this because learning the gun for cheap is always good, but you don't want to only shoot .22s out of it, then pop on the centerfire slide and carry it. If you do and ever need it, the recoil alone will completely change your practiced routine. Shooting both is the best way to do it so that you remain fully familiar with the gun while saving money.

The vouchers come from SIG marked for $399 for the centerfire kit of your choice. Your local SIG dealer will likely have a lower price to offer you. I've seen $349 and heard of cheaper.

I hope my long windedness didn't get too hard to follow.

TxEMTP69

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 17, 2009
    Rockport
    I do not have the Sig, but I know a few people who have conversions for other weapons to shoot 22lr. I have not shot one, but from what I've been told is the ability to practice or shoot for fun with a much cheaper round.

On the practice side I've heard they get a better grasp of trigger control, factor in muscle memory from continued practice and obviously has less of a recoil.

hope this was somewhat helpful

navyguy

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    DFW Keller
    Good advice already given. The idea of a .22 conversion for your Sig, or any gun that has one available (Glocks, 1911's) is a great idea, as center fire ammo is somewhat hard to find and more expensive. So you bang away with you .22 for practice.

You might read around on the internet regrading the Sig .22 conversion units. I don't have one, so I can't say first hand, but I've read they are a bit finicky on ammo, liking mostly Mini Mags. Also the slide does not lock back after the last round. That is a problem because there is no firing pin block, so if you continually pull on an empty chamber, (not counting the rounds as you shoot, and not knowing it's empty) it could eventually nick the chamber rim to the point a round won't chamber. Also I've read about some people waiting months to receive their center fire upgrade. Of course as I said, this is all anecdotal, as I no first hand experience, but thought I'd bring it up to you so you can research it if you like.

Englishman

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 24, 2009
    The New World
    Juwaba, TxEMPT and NavyGuy

Thanks for the detailed and knowledgeable reply to answering my questions. You have pretty much confirmed my thinking that a 226 in 22 cal would be the way to go for many reasons. Having spent $500 on a 380 that’s difficult to get basic consumables for, I did not want to make another novice mistake again.
    Independent help like this, not from the shop selling you the item, is of great value.
    Thanks again.

juwaba98

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 9, 2008
    North Zulch, TX
    Here's what Top Gun Supply is offering in a P226:

P226 .22lr - [url]http://www.topgunsupply.com/sig-sauer-p226r-.22lr-nitron-adjustable-sights-da-sa-converts-to-9mm.html[/URL]

P226 9mm X-change kit - [url]http://www.topgunsupply.com/sig-sauer-p226-caliber-x-change-kit-9mm.html[/URL] not currently in stock, but gives you an idea of what to expect.

Plain P226 for price comparison - [url]http://www.topgunsupply.com/sig-sauer-p226r-.40s-w-nitron-standard-sights-da-sa.html[/URL] this one's in .40s&w, but the 9mm should be the same.

and the .22lr conversion - [url]http://www.topgunsupply.com/sig-sauer_p226-22lr-conversion-kit.html[/URL]

You can see how the numbers work out.

You also have 12 months (from the date of purchase) to redeem the certificate for the X-change kit, so you can spread the cost out if need be while shooting .22lr on the cheap and learning the gun before stepping up to the centerfire.

brickboy240

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 19, 2008
    Houston, TX, USA
    Wow 800 bucks for a plain jane P226...man thats high!

Try looking for a CPO P226...they can be had for 450-550 bucks. If you can do without the light rail...they're a great buy. Use the diference in cost to buy ammo and a good holster.

Brand new SIGs are a ripoff....the older W. German made P-Series guns are better and less expensive if bought slightly used.

I have three used P series SIGs and they all run great. I'd trust them to the end of the earth.

The P228 is also a very nice shooter....ever looked at one of those? I love mine - the right size and a very accurate and reliable shooter. Bought it used for about 425 bucks.

- brickboy240

juwaba98

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 9, 2008
    North Zulch, TX
    I like the CPO program and usually advocate it at every chance, but in this situation, IMO, it isn't the way to go. A CPO P226 at your price range (which is pretty accurate) plus a .22lr conversion kit is still in the $800+ range with only a one year warranty on the centerfire pistol. The factory new .22lr P226 and an X-change kit will both carry a lifetime warranty for just a little more. A used pistol won't carry any warranty at all for the same money roughly.

I currently only own CPO guns, but you have to remember that the CPOs are refurbed by the same factory that is putting out the new pistols with the same parts, so if you don't think a new SIG is up to par, the same opinion should be held of the CPOs. Granted they do assemble some CPOs with leftover stamped slides and older frames, but the internals are basiclly the same.

SIGs have always been higher priced guns in recent memory, but have also maintained there pricepoint fairly consistently.

I also agree that a good W. German P220 is also about the finest SIG ever made, with the other flavors of W. Germans close behind, but you have to know what to look for and understand there will be no warranty.

A P228 (same size as P229 but in 9mm only) does not have a .22lr conversion kit available for it and has been discontinued by SIG in favor of the P229's multiple caliber platform.

SIG_Fiend

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 21, 2008
    Austin, TX
    My Sig minions have this one under control.
    icon107.png
    http://forums.rennlist.com/rennforums/graemlins/icon107.gif

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    I also agree that a good W. German P220 is also about the finest SIG ever made, with the other flavors of W. Germans close behind, but you have to know what to look for and understand there will be no warranty.

I haven't noticed any difference when shooting my friend's German P220 vs my American P220. I actually prefer the newer ones because of the one-piece milled stainless slide. But if we drop the W. German qualifier to your statement, I'd agree that the P220 is probably the best Sig (and one of the better pistols) made.

TomCat0197

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Converse
    I have one of the 229 22lr pistols. As for ammo, I basically did a break-in of 150 rounds of minimags. I now find that just like my Mosquito, it cycles standard velocity CCI and subsonic Aguila pretty well. I had initial concerns about not having the last shot hold open, but a very clever man has figured out a solution. Jeff at Sigpower.com has made new aluminum followers that sit high enough to lock the slide. He also makes magazine plugs that will up capacity from 10 to 15 rounds. I have three mags with these parts in them with no issues. Sure, every now and then a spent round doesn't completely clear the chamber, but that's when it starts getting dirty.

I haven't placed my order for the 9mm slide yet, but I've used a Glock 17 with a 22 conversion. I found that is what a great tool for figuring out what I was doing wrong. I'd fire a few mags of 9mm then change slides if my groups weren't where I was aiming. Sure enough I would catch myself pushing. It's pretty obvious when there is no recoil and the Glock is pointing low left of where I had initially aimed. LOL

Anyhow, that's my experience with 22 conversions.

Now if Sig would get the threaded barrel out the door to dealers...

Top Bottom