• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • justin81

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    DFW, Texas
    Long story short I picked up my first 1911, a Colt Combat Commander, at a local gun show a few weekends back. I was very excited to get out to the range with it, but all that excitement quickly diminished. After only 50rds the front and rear sights had fallen off. Very disappointing.:banghead:

I'm looking for someone around my area to put some sights on this gun, or someone I can ship it too and get it back fairly quickly. I am also looking for advice on other sights besides the ones it came with. I figure since they are already off, why not upgrade. I live south of Denton.

thanks
    Justin

DoubleOBar

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2010
    Lower Rio Grande Valley
    You are not limited to your area. You can pull the slide off an mail it anywhere in the US. Can't mail the receiver/frame, but no problems mailing just the slide. I am at a loss as to how the sights "fell off". The front sight is staked on with a tenon through the slide and the rear sight fits in a dovetail. Factory installation will last forever. Somebody has been jacking with that pistol before you got it.

There are many types of sights that can go on that pistol. Pull up Brownells web site and take a look and find out what suits your fancy. I have been using King Hardball sights for many years and am happy with them, but they are very pedestrian as today's 1911 sights go.

With any gunsmith, turn around time is a problem. You might call Alex Hamiltor at 10X Precision in San Antonio and see what his turn around time will be. He certainly is competent. I am not from the Dallas area, but there are probably folks up there who can do it, but there is always the turn around issue.

justin81

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    DFW, Texas
    I was very shocked when they came off. I had never heard of this happening either. The only thing I can guess is maybe it had nicer sights on it, and they removed them and just slapped these in for a quick sell. Not really sure, but very disappointed. The sights just slide in and out without any tapping at all.

Thanks for the advice. I will check Brownells site and see what I can find. I appreciate it.

I will chek out Lee's. Thanks

Top Bottom