• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 22, 2009
    Lakeway, Tx
    I have a Romy built on a Armory USA receiver. I'm looking for a reputable gun smith to remove my front sight block, weld up the slots, swap out my 45 degree gas block for a 90 degree and add weld on HK front and rear sights, then refinish the parkerizing. Can anybody recommend such a gunsmith?
    Lynx Defense

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    How are you going to do the HK rear sight? The only way I've seen the HK front sight done is by putting it on the gas block, which really shortens the sight radius a lot. Also, I'm not sure you can put a 90 degree block on, since I think the hole drilled in the barrel is at 45* and the rifle might not function right if you do this.

I know a place in the Houston area that might be up for the project, though. They updated my friend's beater Mak 90 with AK-100 series furniture for him and threaded the barrel. Did a good job. I can find out the name of the place if you want.

I'm not sure if you just want the "cool" factor of the HK sights, or if you want better sights. For better sights, it's hard to beat the LaRue AK IronDot for price or function. http://www.laruetactical.com/pics/laruetacticalak-irondot/laruetacticalak-irondot.html

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 22, 2009
    Lakeway, Tx
    I believe the 90 degree gas block requires welding the old hole and drilling a new one. I have seen the rear HK sights mounted on the top cover. i would like the name and number of the g-smith if possible, post it or PM me please.

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    I'll get it to you, I'll talk with my friend who had the work done later today.

Just so you know, putting the rear sight on the cover isn't the best way. I'm pretty happy with the simple Mojo rear sight on my AK. But it's your rifle, so enough of my trying to talk you out of it. :p

Innocent-Bystander

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    I'm the a fore mentioned friend of Sage. I had my AK worked on in Houston by Elk River Tool and Die near Hobby Airport and I-45. I had a very good experience with Cody, who did the work. He went above and beyond what you would expect of a craftsman. He knew that I was only in town for the weekend, so he came in on Saturday, his day off to do the work, to finish the rifle. I had a AK-103 left side folding stock put on and the barrel threaded for a flash suppressor. The job was done well and when I called with a problem, he immediately fixed the gun w/ no hesitation.

Take your guns there. Tell your friends to take their guns there. I don't hand out praise, but he has it coming.

They share the office space with a company that deals with the AK/HK mods and will be able to help you out.

goodfellas

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 20, 2008
    San Antonio
    Yeah I would advise agenst the top cover for issues with holding a zero. I had some issues with mojo peeps too. Just wouldn't hold a zero. I ended up going with a RPK wind age adjustable rear sight. Got an ultimak rail on there and just waiting for the funds for an aimpoint. What ever you decide to do please post pics of the finished project.

Top Bottom