• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ebk06

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 15, 2009
    Austin
    So I have quick question. I'm going to be sighting in my bushmaster this week and need to know a decent ammo to use for sight in. I currently have some umc, Winchester 5.56, and monarch brass. Would any of the be accurate enough for this or should I find some hunting quality stuff? Btw I'm only using iron sights right now.
    Target Sports

usmcpmi

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 15, 2009
    Central Texas
    I would start with the winchester stuff.... they have state-of-the-art loading operation....usually will hold a tighter group than most shooters can shoot. MG

Big country

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2009
    Cedar Park,TX
    I would start with the winchester stuff.... they have state-of-the-art loading operation....usually will hold a tighter group than most shooters can shoot. MG
    I sight my hunting rifle in with winchesters and practice with winchesters. That is what my Ole 30-06 likes. But I would use the other stuff for plinking.

Rocket_Cowboy

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 30, 2009
    Plano, TX
    My AR didn't much care for the UMC I fed through it ... it all shot/fed fine, but hits were down and to the right. Hornady had better POI for me, and even Wolf seemed to track better to target than the UMC. I was a bit surprised at the performance Wolf vs UMC.

I'd second the recommendation to use your Winchester 5.56 since you've got it.

kingofwylietx

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 29, 2008
    DFW area.....Wylie.
    I don't think ammo is really much of an issue when using iron sights. Use what you have on hand.

When sighting in a hunting rifle that will be used for longer shots, we use the same ammo we will use for hunting. For that, there is always a precise optic on it. Your poi can change slightly with different ammo, so sight in with your hunting ammo and only use that same ammo...........but for iron sights....completely different scenario.

Burt Gummer

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 18, 2009
    Williamson County
    I don't think ammo is really much of an issue when using iron sights. Use what you have on hand.

When sighting in a hunting rifle that will be used for longer shots, we use the same ammo we will use for hunting. For that, there is always a precise optic on it. Your poi can change slightly with different ammo, so sight in with your hunting ammo and only use that same ammo...........but for iron sights....completely different scenario.

Agreed, if you are shooting at 100 or less the ammo will not matter all that much.
    If you are trying to get 1 MOA from an AR then obviously do some ammo selection. I would shoot good ammo to group it and bring your sight in on target then after that just shoot what you have unless you are doing long range precision stuff..

Big country

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2009
    Cedar Park,TX
    I would sight in with what you plan to hunt with or shoot most often. Even the cheap ammo will be right on target if you sight in with that brand and grain weight.

ebk06

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 15, 2009
    Austin

That's what I was thinking but I wasn't sure even with iron sights that a certain ammo would be a little better. Thanks for the input guys.

Top Bottom