• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Big country

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2009
    Cedar Park,TX
    My cousin bought a sigma .40 last night. I know they are notorious for being unreliable and it does have a horrible trigger from the dry fire test I did last night. The bullets rattle in the mag but I've heard some of the x's do the same thing. It has not been shot yet but I cycled some Hornady TAP hp's threw it dry and they never "grabbed" the feed ramp. I think it will function pretty good but I was wondering if there is anything special I need to tell him about this afternoon when I go to help him get the basics down for striping and cleaning. It broke down like a Glock. I look forward to the range trip so I can shoot it.
    Hurley's Gold

40Arpent

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 16, 2008
    Houston
    ...I was wondering if there is anything special I need to tell him about this afternoon when I go to help him get the basics down for striping and cleaning. It broke down like a Glock yesterday.

Yes, you should tell him that it will break down like a Glock again today.

40Arpent

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 16, 2008
    Houston
    That is what my friend said about his XD 40 exactly, That is strange. But if the guess the gun feeds it's OK.

Strange indeed. I am just wondering what, in a mechanical way, is going on inside the gun such that the rattling round is not under the tension of the magazine spring. Guess I should start a new thread about it.

Big country

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2009
    Cedar Park,TX
    Nah? this thread 'll do for now we're the only ones posting here anyway.
    I guess the way that the bullets stack leaves one or two pressed against the side of the mag instead of the other rounds? I think it maybe that the mag is longer than the bullets and it sliding front to back not side to side. But that doesn't explain the rattle stopping when you take bullet out tho.

Hoji

Bowling-Pin Commando
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Mustang Ridge
    Tell him to get a Glock

I do not know if I related my experience with the Sigma I purchased new about 14 years ago{ when they first came out, it might have been longer} But the striker assembly broke after 50 rounds. I called S&W and they told me to send it back. I did. Got my gun back in about 3 weeks{ pretty good} and with a replaced striker. 50 rounds later it broke again

Called S&W and was told to send it back we are sorry, etc. I sent it back and in about 2 weeks I got my gun back. 25 rounds later the striker broke AGAIN:confused:

I again called S&W and I was pissed. Kept my cool but let the guy I talked to know that when I spend almost $600 on a gun I really do expect it to work. He then told me that the 1st gen gund had a defective striker and I , unfortunately got the bad one replaced with an old one ....twice

I sent it to them, and in about 2 weeks I got my gun back. 100 rounds later....... you guessed it

I called S&W and asked for the extension of the guy I spoke to previously and calmly explained the situation. He put me on hold for a couple of minutes and came back on and apologized and explained that , for a THIRD time my gun got the defective striker AND that they were going to be shutting down for the summer

I calmly stated that being without a functioning firearm for 3 months was completely unacceptable. He sent me a prepaid overnight shipping box{ overnight delivery urgent} that I recieved the next day, sent the gun to them , and 3 days later I got my gun back with a bunch of discount vouchers for a new S&W product, factory tune up and cleaning vouchers, and a bunch of other S&W swag..... and the non defective striker assembly. I went to the range burned off about 400 rounds without a mishap, and promptly sold the gun for what I paid for it.

I will NEVER own or advise anyone to own one.

broberts001

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    Lake Jackson
    I have a sw9ve, that is about 2 years old. After polishing the sear and numerous other parts and a wolf spring, it shoots great. The trigger is lessened and after 1000 rounds it I have not have any issues. It gets a bad rap; however, I think it is a great gun for the money.

-Bryan

okie556

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    Longview, TX
    I am at a complete loss.

Okay........now you guys have tweaked my curiosity! I will be forced to load my Sub-Compact mag to full capacity and see if if rattles. I always load 1 shy of full because of some hand and wrist problems and have never noticed any noise. Will let you know my findings later tonight. Boss gets jumpy when I start fooling with my gun at work.

Stangfan93

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Houston/Pasadena
    The gun is not unreliable. I have the .40 and I have put well over 2000 rounds through it and it has not ever hiccuped once from what I can remember. If it did I can't even recall.

What just sucks about the gun is the trigger. In all reality its that. Oh and the fact that the light rail is not very universal. Only one company makes a light for it. Although now someone makes a rail attachment for it.

TexMex247

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 11, 2009
    Leander(NW Austin)
    IMO...the sigma is the worst firearm ever to bear the S&W name. I have also owned a 40ve(First handgun I bought when I turned 21). It shot ok and tore-down easy, but the trigger pull sucked, it kicked like a mule(probably to ultra-lite poly frame/tight spring) and feeding was less than perfect. In the world of firearms, you really do get what you pay for.

mortdooley

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 25, 2008
    Texas Gulf Coast
    Having a little experience with the 40cal sigma my only gripe with it is the trigger pull, accuracy is good at the range where you can put increasing pressure on the trigger until it goes off. For defense the trigger could pull you off target more then other firearms. We didn't have any failure issues with the one we used at the range.

Big country

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2009
    Cedar Park,TX
    Hoji, I think you got F....... screwed on that deal. And the funny thing is he doesn't want a glock! I think after he gets this one broke in he will sell it and get a glock tho.

pwrincross

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 24, 2009
    Pflugerville,TX
    I have a sigma in the 9 mm caliber. I bought it in 1997 and have had it ever since. I have put thousands of rounds thru it with no problems. I have sig sauer handguns now and I let my son shoot the sigma whenever he wants to. I dont have any special love for the sigma but it has proven itself as a reliable gun just not as accurate as my sigs. Glock -- Glock --who would want a Glock!! Arent they considered glorified door stops??? Just kidding. I told my daughter who has her own place now to get herself a glock. They are reasonably priced and are a great reliable gun. In the end having a reliable gun is the most important thing. If you pick up a gun and it dont fire you are in a world of hurt!!!!

TxPhantom

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 5, 2008
    Frisco, Texas
    Good defensive tool............

My cousin bought a sigma .40 last night. I know they are notorious for being unreliable and it does have a horrible trigger from the dry fire test I did last night. The bullets rattle in the mag but I've heard some of the x's do the same thing. It has not been shot yet but I cycled some Hornady TAP hp's threw it dry and they never "grabbed" the feed ramp. I think it will function pretty good but I was wondering if there is anything special I need to tell him about this afternoon when I go to help him get the basics down for striping and cleaning. It broke down like a Glock. I look forward to the range trip so I can shoot it.

I don't know how it got a reputation for being unreliable. My SW9VE has never had any kind of malfunction with well over 3000 rounds through it.
    The trigger is about the same as a double action revolver trigger. The Sigma was designed as a self defense and/or LEO weapon when it 1st came out. It's not a fun at the range pistol but once you master trigger control with the Sigma trigger you will be a better shot with about any other handgun. Also, the trigger smoothes out after some use and dry firing.
    The earlier versions had some problems (like many other 1st edition pistols) but the later VE editions were much better and extremely reliable.
    For me, and many others the ergonomics of the Sigma are near perfect.
    I own quite a few pistols and revolvers that cost a lot more and have a much better range gun trigger but I definately feel my Sigma would be dependable in a defensive situation. As a fairly inexpensive defensive weapon the Sigma rates very high, at least with me.

Here is a link to Gun Blast review of a SW9VE and comparison to a Glock 19; [URL]http://www.gunblast.com/SWSigma9.htm[/URL]

Top Bottom