• ...and so much more!
  • Shotgun Jeremy

Spelling Bee Champeon
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 8, 2012
    Central Texas
    Is there a guide out there for silencer shopping? I'm trying to figure out what I'm looking at when I see all these different shapes and tricks. Here's a few questions in case any of y'all wanna just answer them yourselves:

What's the difference between a long and a short one?
    Are there different materials used in making cans? If so-what's the difference performance-wise?
    Is a multi-cal can going to work as good as a caliber specific can?
    Are there any performance differences between screw on cans and clip on cans?
    What do they mean by "aligning" the muzzle device?
    Venture Surplus ad

azkcr

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 24, 2013
    Borger, TX
    Long vs short is just maneuverability and weight changer. Longer the can, better sound suppression (to a point)

Stainless steel, aluminum, titanium, and inconel are used. Lots of explaining for different materials used for different applications.

Multi cal can will do fine. 308 can will suppress a 223 within ~5db of a 233 specific can.

Main difference between QD vs threaded is that by using a muzzle brake QD mount, it acts as a first "blast baffle" that takes the blast and is cheaper than the $900 can and can be replaced. Also ease of swapping platforms.Another reason I am partial to my QD mounts is that the ratchet design helps keep the can from unscrewing. I've read a lot of ppl having their threaded can loosen a little. That will eventually cause a baffle strike.

Not aligning the muzzle device. You need to be worried about the threads on the barrel being concentric to the bore. The purists will tell you to take the barrel and have the threads redone.

Your best bet is googling all these questions and spending a bit of time reading in depth on each.

I STRONGLY SUGGEST YOU DO NOT PURCHASE A SUPPRESSOR.
    I did and now I am waiting on 2 form4s and in the process of two form2s.
    It's expensive.

1slow01Z71

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jun 24, 2012
    Kyle
    Long vs short is just maneuverability and weight changer. Longer the can, better sound suppression (to a point)

Stainless steel, aluminum, titanium, and inconel are used. Lots of explaining for different materials used for different applications.

Multi cal can will do fine. 308 can will suppress a 223 within ~5db of a 233 specific can.

Main difference between QD vs threaded is that by using a muzzle brake QD mount, it acts as a first "blast baffle" that takes the blast and is cheaper than the $900 can and can be replaced. Also ease of swapping platforms.Another reason I am partial to my QD mounts is that the ratchet design helps keep the can from unscrewing. I've read a lot of ppl having their threaded can loosen a little. That will eventually cause a baffle strike.

Not aligning the muzzle device. You need to be worried about the threads on the barrel being concentric to the bore. The purists will tell you to take the barrel and have the threads redone.

Your best bet is googling all these questions and spending a bit of time reading in depth on each.

I STRONGLY SUGGEST YOU DO NOT PURCHASE A SUPPRESSOR.
    I did and now I am waiting on 2 form4s and in the process of two form2s.
    It's expensive.
    Ill expand a little bit on this.

If volume stays constant the longer can will be more quiet.

Shooting sub caliber is no big deal usually but it depends on the material the can is made out of. If its a titanium can you dont want to put it on an AR and do mag dumps. Slow fire would be fine but check with the manufacturer when in doubt. Also shooting sub caliber doesnt always mean it will be louder, most times yes. And by louder usually youre talking a decibel or two which isnt really intelligible with the hear. In the case of the specwar the 7.62 is actually a db quieter than the 5.56 when shooting 223 so there are exceptions to the rule.

Now is the best time ever to buy a QD can now that the SWR ASR and Silencerco MAAD system is out. Either one will serve you very well. Ill have my 7.62 specwar in hand shortly if you want to check it out. Since youre here in central texas swing by silencershop to look at the choices in person.

As far as threading goes, having a square shoulder is just as important as having concentric threads. For this reason for my precision bolt gun work I prefer to get mt threads cut by a local smith I trust rather than buy a factory threaded barrel. I just dont trust factory threads after reading multiple threads on baffle strikes and poor accuracy. It doesnt take much ammo and heartache to make up the cost of getting the barrel threaded.

If youve got an idea of when you want to buy, what youre going to suppress and how much you want to spend I believe we can help you narrow your choices. As said above its addicting, I started out with two cans and am now into the double digits on my schedule A. Theyre a ton of fun as are SBRs.

Shotgun Jeremy

Spelling Bee Champeon
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 8, 2012
    Central Texas
    I REALLY like the honeybadger 300 BLK design and want to do that as my first build. How hard is it to permanately attach a can to a short barrel so I only need one tax stamp? What is required to make it be considered a permenant attachment?

Sent from my SGH-S959G using Tapatalk 2

1slow01Z71

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jun 24, 2012
    Kyle
    Itll have to be welded or pinned just like a regular muzzle device. Id highly recommend just paying the stamp on the lower. A technical honeybadger even with a can permanently atrached wpuld still be an SBR unless you used one of the really long cans(9") which kind of defeats the purpose at that point. The stock for the honeybadger costs 400 by itself so keep in mind youre going to have a lot of money tied up in one. Plus what happens if you need to send in the can for servicing?

Renegade

SuperOwner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 5, 2008
    Texas
    I REALLY like the honeybadger 300 BLK design and want to do that as my first build. How hard is it to permanately attach a can to a short barrel so I only need one tax stamp? What is required to make it be considered a permenant attachment?

It needs to be silver soldered or welded or pin welded. For $200 it is not worth it. You would only want to go this route if SBR is not legal in your state of residence. That is not an issue in Texas.

Shotgun Jeremy

Spelling Bee Champeon
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 8, 2012
    Central Texas
    So it'd be easier just to make a SBR with the over hanging quad rail, and...screw the silencer on? Is there a more solid option? I don't think a snap on would work, and I've been reading from more sources saying the screw ons tend to loosen up easily. Will red thread lock fix this?

Renegade

SuperOwner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 5, 2008
    Texas
    So it'd be easier just to make a SBR with the over hanging quad rail, and...screw the silencer on? Is there a more solid option? I don't think a snap on would work, and I've been reading from more sources saying the screw ons tend to loosen up easily. Will red thread lock fix this?

I would build it like an MP5SD - the silencer just screws on. An O-ring on the shoulder locks gasses and provides enough pressure to prevent unscrewing.

Shotgun Jeremy

Spelling Bee Champeon
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 8, 2012
    Central Texas
    I'm gonna have to go see if I can find a tear down of the mp5sd to see what you're talking about. I think I know, but I wanna be sure. I've always liked the looks of that gun to. I guess the honeybadger is kinda like an american version of that. Lol

Shotgun Jeremy

Spelling Bee Champeon
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 8, 2012
    Central Texas
    I think I found the can I'm going for!

I like MAC's videos-he always explains things very basic so even if you are a beginner, you can still get caught up to speed on what's going on.

Shotgun Jeremy

Spelling Bee Champeon
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 8, 2012
    Central Texas

Here's an abuse test. I like this because they bring up and prove a good point-even if you destroy this suppressor, you don't need to worry about hurting the serialized part. You can replace everything without having to worry about another tax stamp. That's not something I would have thought to worry about with shopping for a can.

1slow01Z71

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jun 24, 2012
    Kyle
    I wouldnt let the whole serialized tube thing be a selling point, almost all rifle cans have a separate baffle stack so if you melt them the tube which is the actual NFA item remains unchanged. My griffin armament phs 338 is getting the entire guts swapped out for the gen 2 baffle stack right now. The only thing not being replaced is the tube. The tube with the serial number is only there to protect the baffle stack and allow the baffles to be replaced without going through the stamp process again.

Those new huntertown cans look nice but I havent seen any POI testing with the titanium series or independent DB testing either. Unlesd theyve changed their baffle design theyre usually on the louder side compared to others but they are cheaper. If youre after a can like that, wait about a month. Griffin is coming out with a can thats very close to the silencerco harvester which will be about 12oz and have interchangeable threads so you can run it on 1/2 and 5/8 thread guns with a street price around 500. Itll be made out of aluminum but if youre not into a lot of rapid firing that wont be a problem.

Shotgun Jeremy

Spelling Bee Champeon
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 8, 2012
    Central Texas
    I'm not into a lot of rapid firing, but I would like to be able to do the occasional mag dump without anything to worry about. Thanks for the info!

GlockOwner

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 15, 2013
    Dallas (Oak Cliff)
    I definitely want to get a suppressor that can handle a mag dump. I'll have to see which ones are MG rated, so if I want, I could even have a bumpski/slide fire stock on the gun

kabob

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 1, 2012
    Dallas
    I'd recommend an AAC M4-2000, 762-SDN6 or any of the Silencerco offerings (Saker, Specwar) and call it a day. I have a Specwar 556 myself.

Last edited:

Sugar Land

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 7, 2012
    Sugar Land Texas
    When I sent my sparrow back to silencerco for a cleaning they replaced every part of the can but the serial number tube.Great CS for sure.

Top Bottom