• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Texaslovegun

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 28, 2011
    Bells
    I'm wanting to build a silencer for a Ruger 10/22. I've worked in my dad's machine shop since I was a kid. So I have the ability to make one. My question is how do I go about it and keep it all legal? Is it even legal to build your own silencer?

Thanks

Chad

matefrio

ΔΕΞΑΙ
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2010
    Missouri, Texas Consulate HQ
    Is it even legal to build your own silencer? Yes
    My question is how do I go about it and keep it all legal? . You must have an approved BATF Form-1 to make a silencer. All NFA laws apply.
    I'd personally use a trust.

SilencerTalk &bull; View forum - Silencersmithing Forum < -- Start Here

Most likely the money savings, especially for a .22lr suppressor won't be huge compared to a pre manufactured one. Too bad you can't buy the kits anymore :-).

matefrio

ΔΕΞΑΙ
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2010
    You'll be paying $200 to get a tax stamp along with the BATF Form-1 to make a silencer and register it. It can be registered to you or a legal entity such as a trust.

I'll let SC-Texas take it from there as to the benefits of a trust: Home

subhunter

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 8, 2010
    tyler, TX
    You should have no problem building your own can with a little elbow grease and accurate machining. Just to clarify what has been posted. Here are the steps you need to first take before undertaking your build.

1) Setup a revocable living trust (sc texas handles most of these for folks starting NFA) , or talk to your chief law enforcement officer in your city or county about signing off on your build,( this is a hard sale on building a can, because they think of the liabilities that might come back on them, making them often reluctant to sign)
    2) after you have a sign off or a trust, then you can proceed to fill out an NFA form 1 (which is an application to build or modify a firearm)
    3) send in your 200 bucks and wait , wait , wait , and when the atf issues you a $200 tax stamp you are legal to manufacture your own suppressor.

Just remember that the BATF have set guidelines on markings (IE: depth of engraving, entities name, and SN# which you designate, etc..)
    There are some really good builds for 22's on silencer talk along with alot more information on what you need to fill out on your form 1, just make sure you build it right, baffle strikes are not cool.
    Good luck to you and keep us posted on your build

Acera

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 17, 2011
    Republic of Texas
    Remember, do not build any part of that thing before you get the stamp, that could get you in trouble.

If all you want is a .22 suppressor, you might check out Major Malfunction Munitions out of Oklahoma. They have a deal for $550 that gets you a suppressor and a Walther P-22 in one complete package. Then thread you Ruger barrel and use it on that as well.

Swede

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 3, 2011
    Ft. Worth
    I have built more than one, all on Form 1's. Here's the trick... making a good .22 can is not too hard, making an excellent one is a bit more tricky. What you don't want to do is spend the $200, then make a crappy can, because you are now stuck with it. You cannot make another (better) stack for it. So when you get your F1 approved, take your time. There's no rush. Do a bit of research and asking the folk at silencertalk, and you'll see success.

A .22 can is a perfect accessory, IMO. You can thread a dozen guns, swap the can around, and if done right, it'll be quieter than an air rifle so long as you stay subsonic.

Here is a monolithic (one piece core) .22 silencer I built a while back... works nice.

nc20.jpg

nc23.jpg

SC-Texas

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    Houston, TX
    Got it, IM sent.

I apologize for missing your email! No excuses . . . it should not happen.

Don't ask me how but I got picked by a Jury so I will have to call after 5pm.

Sean

project

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 5, 2011
    texas
    Newbe to the signt here but i have a question so ill jump right in. I suppressed a few .22 but i machined the barrel and built a sleeve to go over it and packed it with steel wool.. other than the slide moving the gun was totally silent. You could actually hold the slide forward and it sounded like a dry fire.. i know this is the old way of doing it and has to be repacked every 1000 rounds or so but how does the sound compare to a screw on can?

Sent from my Droid

matefrio

ΔΕΞΑΙ
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2010
    Newbe to the signt here but i have a question so ill jump right in. I suppressed a few .22 but i machined the barrel and built a sleeve to go over it and packed it with steel wool.. other than the slide moving the gun was totally silent. You could actually hold the slide forward and it sounded like a dry fire.. i know this is the old way of doing it and has to be repacked every 1000 rounds or so but how does the sound compare to a screw on can?

Sent from my Droid

I've heard screw on cans that quiet.

The sleeve you built was on a form 1 though right?

Mongo

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 15, 2008
    Houston area

Sent from my Droid

Never use steel wool in a suppressor. Steel wool is extremely flammable and burns like thermite. You should always use a copper or bronze based type wool. So far you have been lucky but switch to a different wool.

project

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 5, 2011
    texas
    Never use steel wool in a suppressor. Steel wool is extremely flammable and burns like thermite. You should always use a copper or bronze based type wool. So far you have been lucky but switch to a different wool.

It was stainless steel wool actually but by the time it made 1000 rounds I changed to a standard barrel .. never had any issues with it though other than the wool getting dirty and the sound level increasing after 800 or so.

Sent from my Droid

Top Bottom