• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Texas42

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2008
    Texas
    Why to do people put maginfiers on their Red dot and holographic sights?

Why not just get a normal scope?

Good red dots aren't cheap, and I doubt the magnifers would be any cheaper . . .so why wouldn't you just put a decent low power scope on it? Lots of good choices for a lot cheaper.
    ARJ Defense ad

Moss_Berg5150

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    Me in particular, the majority of my shooting is done within 25-30 yards. My BSZ is set for 15-20 yards but there is that occasion I need to take a shot thats greater than 100 yards. I am able to thrown on my magnifier and get a quicker view take my shot then go back to business. With that said if you don't do a lot of CQ shooting then yes it does not make sense to rely on the RD and Magni combo, but if you shoot CQ a lot and occasinally you need to take the long shot then I'm sure you can see the the reason.

gladi8r

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 5, 2008
    Troy Tx
    I use to run a eotech with a magnifier for 3 gun and enjoyed it, the eotech was sited in at 50 yards and it was on from 0 to about 250. Anything pass 75 yrds I would use the magnifier. A open eotech will get sight picture faster on a close range target than it would magnified, For me at least I cant speak for everyone. Right now I run ta 31 f acogs with the trijicon red dot on top. I like this combo much better I feel like I wasted money on the red dot on top cause I hardly use it. I use the bindon aiming concept with the 4 power acog and can find and fire on targets with both eyes open faster than with the open eotech, that is my expeirence. To answer your question that is why they have a magnifier to fire on targets close quicker with out magnification and with it they can reach out there a bit. A scope would be constant magnification and hard to pickup targets at close ranges. Unless it was a variable scope that was 1x4 or somewhere around there.

navyguy

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    DFW Keller
    I don't think it's that great of a combo at any price. Optics like Eotech usually have a 1 MOA or larger dot and are more or less intended for sub 100 yard shooting. Although, if I really concentrate and have a good rest to hold on, I think I could shoot 1 1/2 to 2 MOA at 100 yards with mine. If I mount my 3-9x42 tactical scope, 1 MOA is very doable even out of the carbine length barrel.

The beauty of the red dot is quick target acquisition. I think the magnifiers work against that.

Texas42

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2008
    Texas
    So you can turn the magnification on and off quickly? I was under the impression it was just a static magnifier.

ZX9RCAM

Over the Rainbow bridge...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.
    So you can turn the magnification on and off quickly? I was under the impression it was just a static magnifier.

The magnifier is added seperately, in addition to the red dot, & can be added or removed very quickly (if you havr the right mount)

ZX9RCAM

TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.

Good red dots aren't cheap, and I doubt the magnifers would be any cheaper . . .so why wouldn't you just put a decent low power scope on it? Lots of good choices for a lot cheaper.

That's why you need more than one AR so that you can have an Aimpoint one one & a decent variable scope on the other....

40Arpent

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 16, 2008
    Houston
    The magnifier is added seperately, in addition to the red dot, & can be added or removed very quickly (if you havr the right mount)

Or just flipped to the side if you have a mount such as the LaRue pivoting mount. But if you're worried about cost, that's another $150 on top of everthing else including at least $100 or more for the RDS mount.

Texas42

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2008
    Texas
    Or just flipped to the side if you have a mount such as the LaRue pivoting mount. But if you're worried about cost, that's another $150 on top of everthing else including at least $100 or more for the RDS mount.

That sounds pretty cool, actually. That seems much more useful. . . . .sigh. . . . maybe someday.

gladi8r

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 5, 2008
    Troy Tx
    The eotech magnifier comes with the flip mount. If you dont need it you flip it to the side when you need it you flip it back. The main sight is a 1 moa dot with a 65moa circle around it. I like the idea but am more comfortable with the acog line of optics. The bindon aiming concept works with a little practice.

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio

Because a scope works like crap for CQB.

dobarker

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 26, 2010
    Sonora

To be extra tactical.
    Just playing.

To each their own, after reading these posts, i'll probably go broke trying to find a good setup.

ZX9RCAM

TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.

Which I do have, I just didn't want to confuse the issue (really I just didn't think about it, lol).

gerritm

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 5, 2009
    seabrook, tx
    Some of us can't afford the $1K plus for the Eotech red dot and magnifier. I have a BSA tactical scope and an Aimpoint red dot mounted off to the side. The Aimpoint takes care of most close up shots 0-50yards and the occasional 100 plus shot I use the 1-4 power range compensating BSA Tactical scope. A little more bulky, but works for me in 3-gun comp. I have tried to use a scope for the up close shots and with any kind of power or smaller scope eyepiece you can't acquire the targets fast enough up close. For me they are just a blur.

Top Bottom