• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • byrom1212

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 1, 2008
    Greenvill,tx
    I bought some this weekend for my rem 700 .308 and it wont discharge.
    I have to pull extremely hard to get the bolt to slide. but with hornady ammo there is no problem.
    Whats the deal?
    DK Firearms

phatcyclist

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 22, 2008
    Austin, TX
    The silver bear is the bare steel case I believe. The only thing I can guess, is when the case neck expands it gets real snug in the chamber. Can you see any scratches or anything that would look like it would hang it up?

phatcyclist

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 22, 2008
    Austin, TX
    I would recommend against that ammo in a gun like that. It's designed to have a nice tight chamber, and the bare steel rounds at least can wear it prematurely. If you can swing it, I would buy brass-cased Privi Partisan or Wolf Gold. They are made in the same factory, are brass cased, accurate, and they are some of the cheapest centerfire ammunition you can get.

byrom1212

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 1, 2008
    Greenvill,tx
    ok I just called the place i bought it at and the owner said that if he was there he would have never sold it to me. and to bring it all back and he will give me my money back.

byrom1212

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 1, 2008
    Greenvill,tx
    I have bought every gun I own but the rem 700 from the guy. He has always been a great help and got me the best deal. If any one is ever around Caddo Mills or Greenville Texas check out Ammo Depot and ask for Mickey.

idleprocess

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 29, 2008
    DFW.com
    To the best of my knowledge, all steel-cased ammunition on the market today has some sort of coating - lacquer, polymer, or a metal plating.

Bear ammo is available in 3 grades - brown bear is lacquer-coated, silver bear is zinc-plated, and golden bear is brass-plated.

I wouldn't use any of it in a nice bolt gun. I have a slight reservation about using it in my AR, and none about using it in my AK (AK's were designed to shoot Russian steel-cased ammunition from the start).

Cyfer

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 29, 2008
    TEXAS
    This is just my opinion, but I don't recommend Silver Bear. A few years back, a friend had just purchased a brand new HK USP and decided to shoot some Silver Bear through it. As I was in the next lane, I all of a sudden saw a cloud of smoke and the magazine spring fly behind us. It looked like a round had exploded either in the magazine or in the chamber and cracked the lower polymer frame of the USP. Luckily he only recieved blood blisters and nothing fatal or any serious injury. Silver Bear agreed to replace the brand new gun, but after that incident, I would not even consider using SB no matter how much I can save on the ammo. Just to reiterate, this is just my opinion...

I'll see if I can dig up the pictures to show as proof of the damage to the pistol and the shooter's hand. He was a bit shook up about the whole incident.

Top Bottom