• ...and so much more!
  • Wiliamr

Well-Known
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    Austin
    An interesting question arises. Will having a LTC become a vehicle for the Democrat party to force states to enforce their gun "buy-up" agenda. Will the Democrat Party be able to do their anti gun agenda making most semi-automatic guns illegal or NFA items?

No knee jerk "not here in Texas" answers. Look at this as a worst case reality. The Democrat Party could own the House and Senate and with Biden in, writing a law to force states with issued carry licenses to give that data to the Federal government under guise of public safety. IF they pack the courts in the next year a Democrat majority in courts could allow such a a law as Constitutional.
    Lynx Defense

Bozz10mm

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 5, 2013
    Georgetown
    An interesting question arises. Will having a LTC become a vehicle for the Democrat party to force states to enforce their gun "buy-up" agenda. Will the Democrat Party be able to do their anti gun agenda making most semi-automatic guns illegal or NFA items?
    I don't think so. The type of firearm used in obtaining an LTC is not indicated anywhere. And right now, it's just semi auto rifles they are going after. The pistols will follow after they come to the conclusion that banning the rifles did not reduce gun violence.

Dougw1515

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 14, 2020
    USA
    The reality is no one will have that answer. On the surface and due to the Constitution explicitly saying ".... not explicitly a state right..." (or something like that) the answer would be NO, they can't do that. The reality is the Fed's have trampled states rights beyond recognition so it would, no doubt, end up in front of the Supreme Court for the final ruling. Our saving grace may be the 5.5 Constitutionalist on the Supreme Court.

Wiliamr

Well-Known
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    Austin
    Generally you are correct about the license not listing what firearm someone does have. The mere fact that someone has the LTC then can be written into Federal law presuming that someone must present their firearm. This is Orwellian thinking, but indeed those days may be upon us and just hoping or declaring it would never happen, well just look at this election Biden 270 Trump 267.... Looking over the Democrat HR 5717 text it is chilling in what it actually propses to do. Next year expect to see the bill back in its current form or even enhanced.

From HR 5717 the following:

Title five Section 511:
    “(D) A semiautomatic pistol that has the capacity to accept a detachable magazine and any 1 of the following:
    “(i) A threaded barrel.

“(ii) A second pistol grip.

“(iii) A barrel shroud.

“(iv) The capacity to accept a detachable magazine at some location outside of the pistol grip.

“(v) A semiautomatic version of an automatic firearm.

“(vi) A manufactured weight of 50 ounces or more when unloaded.

“(vii) A stabilizing brace or similar component.

“(E) A semiautomatic pistol with a fixed magazine that has the capacity to accept more than 10 rounds.

So one can see that darn near any semiauto pistol can accept a magazine of over 10 rounds and thus falls into the banned. I

Wiliamr

Well-Known
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    Austin
    The reality is no one will have that answer. On the surface and due to the Constitution explicitly saying ".... not explicitly a state right..." (or something like that) the answer would be NO, they can't do that. The reality is the Fed's have trampled states rights beyond recognition so it would, no doubt, end up in front of the Supreme Court for the final ruling. Our saving grace may be the 5.5 Constitutionalist on the Supreme Court.

Remeber I pointed out that we KNOW they will pack the Supreme Court with new Justices and Harris as VP will have the tie breaker vote in Senate if they end up as a 50 - 50 split.

ZX9RCAM

Over the Rainbow bridge...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.
    Many/most semi autos have the capacity to accept a threaded barrel as well.

ETA:
    After rereading this, must it currently have a threaded barrel, or just the capacity to accept one?

Last edited:

Bozz10mm

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 5, 2013
    Georgetown
    From HR 5717 the following:

Title five Section 511:
    “(D) A semiautomatic pistol that has the capacity to accept a detachable magazine and any 1 of the following:
    “(i) A threaded barrel.

“(ii) A second pistol grip.

“(iii) A barrel shroud.

“(iv) The capacity to accept a detachable magazine at some location outside of the pistol grip.

“(v) A semiautomatic version of an automatic firearm.

“(vi) A manufactured weight of 50 ounces or more when unloaded.

“(vii) A stabilizing brace or similar component.

“(E) A semiautomatic pistol with a fixed magazine that has the capacity to accept more than 10 rounds.

So one can see that darn near any semiauto pistol can accept a magazine of over 10 rounds and thus falls into the banned. I
    This is targeting the AR pistols, not your standard Glocks and Smith and Wesson handguns.

SQLGeek

Muh state lines
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 22, 2017
    Richmond
    The Democrats will try to push forward all sorts of ridiculous shit. Gun laws will be but one thing to look out for.

This is targeting the AR pistols, not your standard Glocks and Smith and Wesson handguns.

Regardless of what it is targeting, the language of the law includes any pistol that accepts a detachable magazine with a threaded barrel.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Remeber I pointed out that we KNOW they will pack the Supreme Court with new Justices and Harris as VP will have the tie breaker vote in Senate if they end up as a 50 - 50 split.

Hard to pack the court without a majority in the Senate.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

oldag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 19, 2015
    Even if Biden wins, for the next two years we should have 52 in the Senate. That should block the most ridiculous laws.

Lord willing, for some time we will have five solid Constitutionalists plus Roberts on SCOTUS. I hope that now they will hear some of the 2A cases and some 2A rights will be restored in the U.S. (or parts thereof).

Wiliamr

Well-Known
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    Austin
    That is an interpretation. The language does not state only AR pistols. It says " a semiautomatic pistol" no exemptions, no language specifying "only".

Wiliamr

Well-Known
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    Austin
    I didn’t realize the challenges have already been settled in court. Can you send me a link to the outcomes?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Nothing is settled of course. But doing just the math, it looks grim for Trump. The Supreme court only rules on Constitutional issues in the election. I am reading some history in SCOUS rulings, and it is interesting that they have in past generaly held that the individual states have the right to set the rules on how votes are counted and deadlines. for usch. The challenges in Wis, Mich, and PA will probably be along the lines of PA allowing ballots postmarked after the election day being counted. It is going to be argues that since bills, and legal documents mailed are accepted as being paid or filed based on postmark, it states to logic that ballots postmarked on or before 11 - 3- 2020 are valid, after that no. This is going to be very interesting legally.

popsgarland

Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 24, 2011
    DFW area
    123939436_4124984397514878_5800554730218547293_n.jpg

Wiliamr

Well-Known
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    Austin
    Change your title Karen
    The title was carefully chosen to get the TGT members to look at this post.
    Abusive, derogatory, sarcastic, belittling comments do absolutely nothing to further conversation about this real topic.
    Discussion looking at logic, flaws in analysis of the possible ramifications of this election as well as any and all statements of personal fears, concerns and worries over the potential for abuse of the LTC records are certainly encouraged and needed. Snarky comments really do not enhance this discussion.

MacZC7

Well-Known
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 11, 2020
    Texas
    Nothing is settled of course. But doing just the math, it looks grim for Trump. The Supreme court only rules on Constitutional issues in the election. I am reading some history in SCOUS rulings, and it is interesting that they have in past generaly held that the individual states have the right to set the rules on how votes are counted and deadlines. for usch. The challenges in Wis, Mich, and PA will probably be along the lines of PA allowing ballots postmarked after the election day being counted. It is going to be argues that since bills, and legal documents mailed are accepted as being paid or filed based on postmark, it states to logic that ballots postmarked on or before 11 - 3- 2020 are valid, after that no. This is going to be very interesting legally.
    A republican representative needs to put EYES on the physical ballots and cut the BS. Being able to review the ballots is an agreement made when mail in ballots are in play in an election. Pennsylvania and a few other key states are being very vague and not allowing these to be seen at all. Do you think that is acceptable?

Shady

The One And Only
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2013
    How many Rino Republicans in the Senate will salivate and jump at the next weapons ban. If not now after the next mass shooting. I can assure you one will happen soon after the inauguration if its Biden and no this is not the right shooting the left it will be a leftie going after a soft target

Top Bottom