Hurley's Gold

Single speed bikes, and ankles getting stiff.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • AKM

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2011
    Around
    Alright so I need to get back in shape, and lets face it I'm a fatass. Schwinn makes HD frame cruisers we use at refineries. Only thing is they are single speed. Would they still be good exercise? I'm 6'6 330 and they fit me half way like they should. I walk but the last few times I've went the muscles in my ankles seize up and I have to start plopping my foot down flat which doesn't help. Any advice on this also? It's happens te last 2 times I've went walking I tried jogging today and the ankle stiffness set in faster.

RstyShcklfrd

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 23, 2011
    Dallas
    I know this is somewhat off topic, but have you ever considered low impact workouts like swimming?

Sent carelessly from Joe Biden's balcony

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    Those bikes might be good excercise depending on where you will ride. If you go up many hills you may want a 10 speed (or more).

AKM

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2011
    Around
    I know this is somewhat off topic, but have you ever considered low impact workouts like swimming?

Sent carelessly from Joe Biden's balcony

Use to swim a lot(since I live on a boat) never felt like it did anything. Id put a CD on and tread water through it and Id be tired but never felt like it did much, and when i say tread water I mean as hard as I can for that length of time.

AKM

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2011
    Around
    The ankle thing is weird though Ive never had it till the last 2 times Ive went walking. I tried running today and all it did was make my ankles seize faster.

coachrick

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 26, 2009
    north-north Austin
    For sure, the bike will be good exercise; but as mentioned, you may want the flexibility of a few more gears...especially for your knees, ankles and back. A single upright position will take some of the fun out, also; but it's not a bad way to start. Don't be in too big a hurry...30 minutes for the first ride(heck, that could be 7-8 miles...plenty for a start) OR an easy ride will result in your rear end giving out before your legs ;) . You don't want to be MISERABLE on the NEXT ride.

Make sure your leg doesn't extend fully at the bottom of the pedal stroke; BUT, you also don't want your knees to be over flexed at the top of the stroke, either. At six-six, saddle height adjustment is critical(relative to the handlebars, also). I know you wouldn't wear sneaks around the refinery...you want a fairly stiff sole on a 'bike' shoe, too...otherwise your ankles and arches will be barkin' !

Good luck! I've been off the bike for most of this year("They" say I need a total knee replacement) and I really miss it. Gonna try a short ride today.

coachrick

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 26, 2009
    north-north Austin
    Use to swim a lot(since I live on a boat) never felt like it did anything. Id put a CD on and tread water through it and Id be tired but never felt like it did much, and when i say tread water I mean as hard as I can for that length of time.

Your ankles might not like this either; but try run/walking in the water...waist high to chest high water...takes some of the stress off the ankles but is a serious workout.

AKM

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2011
    Around
    I carry weight in my stomach(beer gut) so I kind of figured an upright position may be a little more comfortable lol.

AKM

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2011
    Around
    Your ankles might not like this either; but try run/walking in the water...waist high to chest high water...takes some of the stress off the ankles but is a serious workout.

Maybe I can find somewhere to do this. my boats in 20' of water when the lakes up so its hard to touch bottom lol.
    35841_410092201121_110810_n.jpg

kusai

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 30, 2011
    Bedford TX
    My suggestion
    Invest in a cheap tablet or iPad. Copy lots of movies and watch each movie everyday on a treadmill, has worked wonders for me since music is not enough and movies consumes about 2 hours of time easily.

Sent from the black hole

London

The advocate's Devil.
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Sep 28, 2010
    Twilight Zone
    Alright so I need to get back in shape, and lets face it I'm a fatass. Schwinn makes HD frame cruisers we use at refineries. Only thing is they are single speed. Would they still be good exercise? I'm 6'6 330 and they fit me half way like they should. I walk but the last few times I've went the muscles in my ankles seize up and I have to start plopping my foot down flat which doesn't help. Any advice on this also? It's happens te last 2 times I've went walking I tried jogging today and the ankle stiffness set in faster.

Schwinn is also making the older style bikes with rear gear shifters now, making them into 10 speeds. If you're a cruiser guy it's a big plus. I doubt they'll flinch under 330 lbs.

AKM

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2011
    Around
    I'm not stuck on a cruiser I just knew they had the HD fat tired version. I do like the 50s style hot rod stuff so I like the style but if there's something better ill consider it.

Anger

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 7, 2010
    Washington MI (glorious in summer)
    make sure the seat is high enough so your legs almost fully extend while in the down stroke of the crank rotation. too short a seatpost won't allow your legs to extend, hindering blood flow. just an idear. Personally anything less than 7 speeds for me won't cut it. I've bought several of my last bikes here...http://www.bikesdirect.com/

Last edited:

London

The advocate's Devil.
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Sep 28, 2010
    Twilight Zone
    If money is no object hop into your local bike shop; they'll know what to steer you toward. Expect to pay at LEAST $600 and probably more like $1,000.

London

The advocate's Devil.
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Sep 28, 2010
    Twilight Zone
    I'm not stuck on a cruiser I just knew they had the HD fat tired version. I do like the 50s style hot rod stuff so I like the style but if there's something better ill consider it.

You can always convert your skinny rims into fatboys as long as there is room between the forks. Might have to mod or replace the fenders.

TundraWookiee

Scruffy Nerf Herder
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 9, 2012
    Cedar Park
    Cycling is a great low impact workout as long as it is setup properly for you and your area. A decent bike shop can help you find an appropriately sized bike and determine the best gear ratios for the terrain you will be in. I suggest trying a fixed gear bike if you really want to get a full workout. You don't realize how much of the time you are coasting on a traditional bike and the constant pedaling gives you a much more thorough workout. Just be sure to get a gear ratio that won't mash your knees on takeoff or mild inclines. I'm willing to help point you in the right direction or help you figure out what you need of you'd rather that than a bike shop.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

ROGER4314

Been Called "Flash" Since I Was A Kid!
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    Mike, When I first came to Texas, I didn't have a lot of money and gas was cheap so I bought a van and carried a Trek single speed bike down to the Galveston seawall several times per week. I was teaching so I had all summer off. Many times, I rode that bike 50 miles in a day. It was great exercise especially in the sunshine and fresh air!

I'd recommend that kind of bike for flat terrain. In hills, it will beat your knees up. The trick is to keep a cadence or pedaling speed high enough to keep the load off of your knees. Upright riding style and gears? Try a hybrid or "comfort" bike. The one that I rode in 2011, was a Schwinn Solitaire that I got from Wal mart. It's a great bike!

Flash

Top Bottom