• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • goodfellas

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 20, 2008
    San Antonio
    I am short for room and have been throwing around the idea of putting my single stage press on a 2x4 and storing it away till i needed it where i woudl just clamp it down on an available table with space. Anyone try this?
    Texas SOT

mikeofcontex

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 2, 2010
    Midlothian, TX
    I can see a couple of problems with a 2x4... I'm not sure it's wide enough for your press, but a 2x6 or 2x8 would solve that. I would also worry a bit that the board might split. The solution to that would be a piece of plywood at least 5/8" thick. With the plywood, you could shape the board as you wish.

Charley

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 7, 2008
    San Antonio
    Started handloading with a RCBS Jr press bolted to a 2x4. I would use a C clamp to attach it to the breakfast bar when I wanted to use it. Worked then (about 30 years ago), would work today, if needed. If your press has a bigger footprint than the old Jr, a 2x6 would be better, though.

DubiousDan

Trump 2024
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 22, 2010
    San Antonio
    Just decided to go to bass pro to get the last things i need for my setup any thing to watch out for when getting a tumbler and calipers?

Look at the Franklin Arsenal equipment. Sometimes it the same product as a "Name" brand at a lower price.

I've used a single stage mounted on a piece of scrap 2x10 for years. I use a bar clamp to mount it to a table or Workmate. I like the Workmate when I lived in an apartment because I could fold it up and put everything in a closet. I have a Dillon 650 now, mounted on an old computer desk in my "Man Cave" but I use the single stage on occasion and it's still on the same old piece of 2x10.

tmd11111

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 8, 2009
    San Angelo, Tx
    I used a 2x6 for my press. I was traveling on the road with my job and staying in hotels. I carried everything I needed in a foot locker. Used to clamp the board to the desk in the hotel room.

CanTex

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Pflugerville
    I use a piece of stair tread and clamp it to the table, Have made a few so I can reload with my turret, single stage as well as Mec(s). Just bought the Lee Clamp system which sucks.... no where for the spent primers to go amongst other issues. They need to tweak it a bit more before I would recommend it.

You can look for decent calipers at Harbor Freight as well as tumblers..

Top Bottom