Join TexasGunTalk

Site Down - Sever Reboot

Discussion in 'Announcements & Comments' started by texcross, Jun 27, 2018.

1. rman

rman Well-Known

Sep 7, 2015
    Ft. Worth
    someone had posted on Facebook and I replied. I was getting worried.

on that note, there are over 93k likes on FB... Yet on my friends list I only know 1 other guy and not sure he's on the forums lol.

who are all you lurkers?

Sent from my SIG Sauer

Last edited: Jun 27, 2018
  2. texcross

texcross Active Member Admin

Aug 28, 2013
    Sanger, TX
    no hack thankfully. Just some database tables got messed up during a simple scheduled update, makes no sense.

3. Vaquero

Vaquero Pre-ban Staff Member Admin

Apr 4, 2011
    Out West
    Seems faster for me.
    Worth the wait, I reckon.

4. Charlie

Charlie Time is the thief of memory! TGT Supporter

Mar 19, 2008
    Kerr County
    "Lurker" here! :green: Kinda' Sorta' Heh!

5. BRD@66

BRD@66 TGT Addict

Jan 23, 2014
    Liberty Hill
    fify

TxStetson and easy rider like this.
  6. Ole Cowboy

Ole Cowboy TGT Addict

May 23, 2013
    17 Oaks Ranch
    I took over one outfit and we had about a 1000 computers etc we supported. The staffing on help desk was eyeball deep in people. I used to tell the Mgr that he had more people on the help desk than we have people we supported.

I have always followed a rule: Any issue, any update always get a 2-reboot sequence. I was able to reduce staffing on help desks in most cases over 50% when that is given as the first command on and intake call. What I called "take 2 aspirins and call me if it doesn't make you feel better" thinking!

Last edited: Jun 28, 2018
  7. benenglish

benenglish Lifetime Supporter Staff Member Lifetime Member Admin

Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    A valid approach for Windows computers and 90% of printer problems.

Personally, I got so spoiled when my Officers first got computers and everything, from the laptops to the servers, was 100% Unix. That was about the time I moved from field Officer work to back-end support because I was a mediocre field officer and I thought computers were the future.

The full staff of server sysadmins, desktop/deskside support, and continuing training for a staff of 300 old-line, often computer-phobic field Officers was 2 people. We used to joke that we only had enough work for 1.5 people so there was never any problem for anyone taking vacation time; we could always cover for each other. We literally left the server room and went walkabout once a week, stopping into every group, asking every manager if they had any computer problems, anything we could make work better, any issues they'd like for us to explain in a presentation at their next group meeting.

My heart was filled with pity for the Windows-using side of the house.

Ole Cowboy likes this.
  8. Ole Cowboy

Ole Cowboy TGT Addict

May 23, 2013
    17 Oaks Ranch
    The first computer that sat on my desk that was not a terminal from mainframe or DEC was a Sun Workstation in early '85 when I got promoted to Project Mgr for Software Dev. My first Wondoze machine was in 1996 which was in terms of use like trying to unlearn how to ride a bicycle, what a convoluted, crude, archaic OS...

9. benenglish

benenglish Lifetime Supporter Staff Member Lifetime Member Admin

Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    Zilog terminals, a dual 8-inch floppy computer on my desk, (later) the copy of 2600 that was always in my drawer...you're bringing back memories.

10. Ole Cowboy

Ole Cowboy TGT Addict

May 23, 2013
    17 Oaks Ranch
    Those were the days...