• navyguy

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    DFW Keller
    -O/U, autoloader or pump.
    -12 Ga best for beginners.. wider pattern more hits. 20 Ga okay too, just harder
    26" barrels are most common, but any length will work.
    Open chokes. Skeet or at least I/C - Doesn't mean you can shoot with others, it will just be harder
    - Standard skeet loads for 12 ga are 2 3/4 dram 1 1/8 oz, #9. Just look for anything marked Skeet. Again, you can shoot heavier loads and bigger shot.. maybe up to 7 1/2. But all of that will work against you.

The idea with skeet is targets are relatively close, (30 yards at best), crossing shoots are moving pretty fast and it doesn't take much in the way of power to break one. A single pellet will knick the clay enough at 30 yards to count as a break. So you want a gun that opens up the pattern wide and fast, and swings fast.

Big country

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2009
    Cedar Park,TX
    If you will be hunting birds as well, I'd suggest something with interchangeable chokes. I shoot skeet with a full or modified one of the two i can't remember off the top of my head. But I also just shoot for Bird practice. I learned how to to shoot a single shot 20 ga at dove and got very good at it. My wife has seen me shoot doubles (skeet) with that old 20ga. It was all I had so I learned to make the most of it. A 12 ga is best for anything. I also shoot #8 or #71/2 out of a tight patterning choke. So IMHO it is all preference and what you can handle best. I think you should go with a 12 ga pump, O/U, auto loader, or (I'm going to make the skeeters mad) a S/S. <duck> Just stay away from the single shot or magazine fed shotguns for skeet.

navyguy

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    DFW Keller
    (I'm going to make the skeeters mad) a S/S. <duck> .

Nothing wrong with a s/s for informal skeet, or to practice with that gun you if use it for bird hunting. I'd like to have one, and always peruse the used gun racks looking for a gem.

texas_teacher

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 14, 2009
    South Korea
    I use a simple Mossberg 88 Maverick as a skeet gun... 12 gauge with the dowel taken out so it holds 5 and 1... Combine that with one of those cheapo bricks of shot from walmart that run 20 bucks and a case of pigeons and its pretty cheap and easy fun

Big country

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2009
    Cedar Park,TX
    Nothing wrong with a s/s for informal skeet, or to practice with that gun you if use it for bird hunting. I'd like to have one, and always peruse the used gun racks looking for a gem.
    I know I know.
    mainly was just singles, i would try for doubles and got decently fast on a reload...

then dad got the 870 for me, and was really nice ever since...

i steal his red label for skeet shooting now, i love that gun.
    It will make your follow ups very quick with the 870. I have an 870 now but I still bust out the little 20 every now and then for a "back to basics" kind of thing.

Big country

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2009
    Cedar Park,TX
    O yeah for sure. My wife and my Cousin's wife were laughing when I stepped up to the doubles with the extra shell between the fingers on my support hand. They weren't laughing so hard when I did the reload and hit the second clay.

Big country

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2009
    Cedar Park,TX
    good deal everybody,,,
    i think im going to go with an all purpose 870. unless something cheaper comes my way
    A Mossberg 500 (I think is the model) is cheaper and widely considered to be a better HD shotgun. The 870 is great. But there are those that dislike them. I love mine, and could buy the short barrel to make it HD worthy. Whatever you wind up with have fun with it.

40Arpent

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 16, 2008
    Houston
    -...you can shoot heavier loads and bigger shot.. maybe up to 7 1/2.

cbigclarke, since you live in Cypress, I thought you might like to know that Hot Wells will only allow low-brass shells with a maximun shot size of 8. If you bring your own shells, they will ask to see them.

jsbcats

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 4, 2009
    Kingwood
    I bought a Yildiz O/U for shooting skeet. Paid under $400 at Academy. I did not want to spend a lot in case I didn't like the sport. I've really enjoyed it and Academy carries a wide range of replacement chokes, but it comes with 5.

Carter's has a Stoeger O/U on sale right now for $389.

Just my

texas_teacher

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 14, 2009
    South Korea
    I bought a Yildiz O/U for shooting skeet. Paid under $400 at Academy. I did not want to spend a lot in case I didn't like the sport. I've really enjoyed it and Academy carries a wide range of replacement chokes, but it comes with 5.

Carter's has a Stoeger O/U on sale right now for $389.

Just my

I've been looking at that Yildiz for quite some time now because I want a good O/U and it looks and feels really nice... The only thing I was worried about that Yildiz was the weight of it as it seemed rather light and might turn the gun itself into a projectile from the recoil... But you seem to be pretty pleased with it so I'm guessing this isn't the case eh?

jsbcats

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 4, 2009
    Kingwood
    I have really been enjoying it. I bought a limb saver from Academy and put on it and it handles really well. I let a friend of mine shoot it at the range one day and he bought one the next day.

texas_teacher

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 14, 2009
    South Korea
    I have really been enjoying it. I bought a limb saver from Academy and put on it and it handles really well. I let a friend of mine shoot it at the range one day and he bought one the next day.

Nice... did Yildiz send you a shirt? I'm still waiting on mine that Springfield should be sending me...

Top Bottom