• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • R.Lynn

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 31, 2008
    Katy
    Which is the best for plinking and self defense?

How much should I pay for either?

Where is a good gun shop in Houston area to purchase?

Thanks!
    Lynx Defense

JKTex

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 11, 2008
    DFW, North Texas
    Either for both. SKS if you want more accuracy. AK for hi cap/take mags.

To buy one now, I'd guess $400 (if you're lucky) to $800. Generally, $300-$500 I'd think is/was about right.

I know a guy that is/was selling a Russian, all original, never molested SKS for $400 which I don't think is bad at all for the current market.

Texas Patriot

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2008
    Spring
    I have both and as was mentioned before, the SKS is a little more accurate, but you are generally limited to the 10 round mag. Most AKs are handling hi-cap mags and are very dependable and reliable. Accuracy is not bad, its just not bench rest quality. Think about 3-4" groups at 100 with an AK and maybe 2-3" groups with an SKS.

Prices on these have shot through the roof lately, but for self defense and plinking, you do not need stellar accuracy, but you do want dependability and reliability. Both offer this but the AK holds more ammo and I think they just look more cool too.

Shaolin

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 9, 2008

Thanks!

I have nothing against the SKS. Its just a limited firearm. The Saiga is your best move. You just have to decide on the caliber (.223,x39, or .308). You will have just as good if not better accuracy than an SKS. To be equal with an SKS, go with the longer barreled versions (21.5) over 16". I've had a .308 Saiga, which shot 1-1.5" @100 with high priced ammo and 2" with cheap russian ammo. I currently have a 7.62x39 Arsenal SGL-10, which is unbelievablely accurate with cheap russian ammo (1"-1.5"@ 100). I am having a hard time finding match grade quality ammo in the x39. So I don't know but I would assume it would be a lot more accurate. I got it because I wanted a modernized version of the SKS carbine. I wanted to have the option to install a scope because it has a side rail mount installed from the factory. Yes with the SKS you can mount a scope. but you are reserved only for the cheap wobbly rear-cover mount or cheap gas tube rail. Of course, I forgot you can get a Choate or Kalinka side rail mount which is more expensive. You must have a gunsmith drill and tap the receiver (straight), cut the stock to make it fit. Just too much money and work for a gun you're in the market for or getting. Now, I already have an SKS and I wouldn't spend the money it would take to get it close to rivaling a Saiga. I chose to buy me a Saiga. Why hack up a nice original SKS? Why would you want to buy an SKS and spend all that money trying to equal a Saiga? Granted if you do spend that money, you may be able to get more accuracy with it among other SKS's. It will not better than the Saiga w/ 21.5" barrel. Plus everyone knows you're limited on buying quality accurate ammo in 7.62x39, any why is makes a great plinker. This being the reason why there can't be a true comparison to the accuracy of the .223 over 7.62x39.

Yet, if you like the .223 Saiga, get it in the longer barreled version and you'll find out that it is very accurate. Especially, using higher priced ballistic tip ammo would smoke any SKS. The advantages: You get a new gun over some old retooled-refurb SKS. Having the Saiga will give you more options (UTG mount) variable scope, red-dot, flashlight/lazer etc., than retooling any country of origin model SKS...

Shaolin

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 9, 2008
    I haven't even got into reliable detachable high capacity magazines. How about converting it to pistol grip and having an AK47. Now you open another can of worms with different stocks, forends, muzzle brakes/flash hiders etc.

SKS limited < Saiga unlimited = SAIGA

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    My vote is for the SKS, i have a yugo. and no you arnt limited to a 10 round, tapco makes 20 round detachable mags for around 20 bucks.

You have to play the 922(r) parts number game to keep it legal, though. More of a PITA.

Though if you want to convert a Saiga to accept high caps, you need to play the same game...

My vote is for the AK, I love mine.

R.Lynn

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 31, 2008
    Katy
    What do you guys think of the Galini sporter?

GOLANI1.jpg

GOLANI2.jpg
    -

Shaolin

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 9, 2008
    What do you guys think of the Galini sporter?

GOLANI1.jpg

GOLANI2.jpg
    -

Its a nice rifle with a tremendous history, but have you put your hands on one of these? Century Arms just slapped these together with quality similar to the Romanian AK's. I looked at one of these at Military Gun Supply and wasn't impressed with the finish or machining compared to the Saiga's. For the higher price, not sure if it exceeds the Saiga 21.5" in .223/5.56. Now, if you're into the name or the history then get one before they're gone.

Kbear

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 21, 2008

Thanks!

In today's market neither. Your going to pay at least 100% mark up. If you need a HD long gun go with a shotty.

cuate

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Comanche Co., Texas
    Century Golani Sporter

Got one last month, read all the good and bad on severasl forums guess mine is a jim dandy, have no complaints and it is as accurate as my Bushie M4.... Then I ordered the $30 picatinny rail scope mount thing from Vulcan.

The latter to install you had to almost disassemble the Golani to install. Not any more following the hacksaw and black paint. A el cheapo Barska scope is on but cold and ice outdoors, and dark to boot, we will see.......

If I dont like it I can always "File 13" the mount, the iron sightsm once sighted in are fine.....:patriot:

photofreeman

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    I have an externally stock Yugo SKS. I got bored with it but don't want to mess with adding the correct parts. For a big heavy clunker it's OK. You can buy grenades to launch tennis balls and such, but where will nobody care if you launch what looks like bombs. Fun if you own a farm. I gave it to my kid. He loves it, sighted it in and gets respectable groups.
    Go with the Ak, they do look much cooler.

R.Lynn

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 31, 2008
    Katy
    Got one last month, read all the good and bad on severasl forums guess mine is a jim dandy, have no complaints and it is as accurate as my Bushie M4.... Then I ordered the $30 picatinny rail scope mount thing from Vulcan.

The latter to install you had to almost disassemble the Golani to install. Not any more following the hacksaw and black paint. A el cheapo Barska scope is on but cold and ice outdoors, and dark to boot, we will see.......

If I dont like it I can always "File 13" the mount, the iron sightsm once sighted in are fine.....:patriot:
    Where did you get it and how much was it?

cuate

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Comanche Co., Texas
    I ordered this Golani out of J&G Sales in December, it was with bayo lug and extra magazine, shipping and all about $650 or a little more best I remember.

O.S.O.K.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Deep in the Heart of Texas
    Both options are very good rifles.

SKS: Can take stripper clips - rapid reloads. Very durable. Reasonably accurate. Lots of aftermarket accessories (I council against scope mounts). Integral pig sticker. Easy to field strip and clean.

Saiga: Just as accurate as the SKS (yes guys - the Saigas are a cut above in this regard than other AKs). Can easily be converted to pistol grip configuration and high capacity standard AK mag use. Also has lots of aftermarket accessories. Has a very usable side scope mount. Also easy to field strip and clean.

If I could only purchase one, it'd be the Saiga. But I would not feel underarmed with an SKS.

markfh

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    Houston
    I prefer the Ak because of the magazines. I don't like using the stripper clips if I can avoid it. I agree about the Golani. The quality just isn't there.

country_boy

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    Round Rock
    I own both a ak and a sks.. I think I payed $320 back a yr and a half ago for the roman. ak. The sks is my primary deer hunting rifle, I have a yugo with a 10 round extrenal mag and a 4 powered scope. I shot a 6 point buck with soft points at 100 yards, one shot one kill. Thats the only rifle I will ever hunt with. I payed $175 for that sks over at heritage over off of anderson mill road.

Top Bottom