Join TexasGunTalk

SKS Shopping

Discussion in 'Rifles' started by SQLGeek, Mar 19, 2018.

1. SQLGeek

SQLGeek Active Member

Sep 22, 2017
    SW Houston
    Thank you!

I have fired rubber grenades with a Springfield 1903 and they are a hoot. Maybe I will get the Yugo just so I can do it with this if I ever have the place to do it.

I have to stay, I still want a Russian the most.

The SKS seems like a pretty sturdy and fool proof system so unless I get a real dud, I think I will be good to go.

majormadmax likes this.
  2. Southpaw

Southpaw SUPER OWNER TGT Supporter

Mar 30, 2009
    Texas
    You know it's one of those things. Though they are over priced, sometimes you want something so getting it at $600 is simply better then wanting one at $900. I bought on of those excellent condition Yugo's from Classic a year or so ago at $375. I was so reluctant to spend that much on an SKS but I just wanted to have one more. Sitting here right now I can't think of one time I ever regretted it getting it.

Damn!! Now you got me thinking about finding a Russian. :50cal:

MTA89 and SQLGeek like this.
  3. SQLGeek

SQLGeek Active Member

Sep 22, 2017
    SW Houston
    Indeed. I look at it this way, I bought a CMP M-1 for $525 in 2004. Now it's probably worth double that. Years before that I could have bought the rifle for much less. While I will never sell it, it is just going to keep increasing in value.

I see a Russian SKS the same way. While clearly not an M-1, the $150 or less days are over and it will just keep increasing in value. If I pay fair market for it today, I will be happy. I wish I had bought one 15 years ago when I was first intetested in them but I can't change that now.

I also wish I had bought a K98, M-1 carbine, etc etc. Woulda, coulda, shoulda. :)

4. Brains

Brains TGT Addict

Apr 9, 2013
    Cypress
    I'm glad I found my Russian, it's a nice example too. Good luck in your search!

5. SQLGeek

SQLGeek Active Member

Sep 22, 2017
    SW Houston
    I've been perusing Texas Gun Trader. Whole lot of $800 and Bubba'd rifles on there. The default price for Yugos seems to be $550. This may be a bit more of a hunt than I thought but I'm excited at the prospect of finding something.

The Russian is still my top choice but I'm open to anything. I've even caught myself thinking that it might be nice to also have one of the Chinese commercial ones that takes AK mags....what have I gotten myself into? :D

6. SQLGeek

SQLGeek Active Member

Sep 22, 2017
    SW Houston
  7. TxStetson

TxStetson TGT Addict TGT Supporter Lifetime Member

May 9, 2013
    Abilene
    The first one almost looks like somebody rebuilt the stock using pine, but the metal seems in perfect shape.

SQLGeek likes this.
  8. majormadmax

majormadmax TGT Addict

Aug 27, 2009
    San Antonio!
    Those are all nice examples, and are relatively in the ballpark when it comes to prices for Russians; but given that you intend for this rifle to be a "shooter" I would look at less expensive alternatives such as the Yugo 59/66 we discussed. Certain models of Chinese SKS rifles can also be had a decent prices. Russian variants are nice and desirable, but more so for their collector value than actual abilities; so I would get a less costly version first before spending more on a rifle than is necessary...

TreyG-20 and SQLGeek like this.
  9. SQLGeek

SQLGeek Active Member

Sep 22, 2017
    SW Houston
    Good to know on the pricing for when I get around to picking up a Russian.

You have me convinced that going for a shooter first is the best way to go. :)

majormadmax likes this.
  10. Brains

Brains TGT Addict

Apr 9, 2013
    Cypress
    They're definitely fun to shoot, and I'd totally pick up another Norinco if I find one cheap. Shouldn't have given mine away eons ago when they were cheap as dirt.