• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MTA

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Mar 10, 2017
    Fannin
    I am probably in the minority here, but I prefer the Yugo over any other variant. I wasnt impressed by the Russians I have had in the past. I felt like my Yugo was more accurate and felt more solid in build.

I think any SKS is a good choice but I would definitely hold one of each type if you are able to before buying.

At the risk of hoisting myself upon my own petard, I've been watching this Russian on Gunbroker.

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/755016052

I'm not as thrilled with the stock on it but it otherwise seems pretty clean. Debating whether to put a bid on it in the next couple of days.

There are also these:

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/757676275
    https://www.gunbroker.com/item/755586070

I'd appreciate any feedback on any of these.

These are really nice rifles. I wouldn't hesitate to buy one since they are only going up in price.
    Venture Surplus ad

SQLGeek

Muh state lines
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 22, 2017
    Richmond
    Thanks to Majormadmax, I have a line on a Norinco I am going to look at tomorrow.

It's a departure from saying I wanted a Russian at the start of this thread but it appears to be a very nice shooter.

I still have plans to get a Yugo or Russian for the historical side of the collection. :)

MTA

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Mar 10, 2017
    Fannin
    Thanks to Majormadmax, I have a line on a Norinco I am going to look at tomorrow.

It's a departure from saying I wanted a Russian at the start of this thread but it appears to be a very nice shooter.

I still have plans to get a Yugo or Russian for the historical side of the collection. :)
    Man I thought of you today. I was at the gun show in Paris and some guy had a superb Russian SKS for $450. I almost bought it myself

deemus

my mama says I'm special
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    DFW
    I have had a Romanian and a Yugo. I liked them both and had zero issues with them. I always cleaned them after shooting. I used to shoot the corrosive ammo. Not sure if the stuff I have now is or not, so I bust out the windex bottle.

deemus

my mama says I'm special
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    DFW
    I have Yugo SKS and AK rifles, the non-chrome barrels have never been an issue.

You can get M68 practice grenades from folks on the major AK forums, then blanks to shoot them. They're a hoot!

I still need to get some those dummies. I haven't even shot my Yugo yet.

deemus

my mama says I'm special
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    DFW
    Indeed. I look at it this way, I bought a CMP M-1 for $525 in 2004. Now it's probably worth double that. Years before that I could have bought the rifle for much less. While I will never sell it, it is just going to keep increasing in value.

I see a Russian SKS the same way. While clearly not an M-1, the $150 or less days are over and it will just keep increasing in value. If I pay fair market for it today, I will be happy. I wish I had bought one 15 years ago when I was first intetested in them but I can't change that now.

I also wish I had bought a K98, M-1 carbine, etc etc. Woulda, coulda, shoulda. :)

I had quite a run for a few years there.

Yugo SKS for $110

K98 Swiss for $140

M-1 Carbine for $250

Enfield 303 for $80

Was mad to pay $200 for a Romanian SKS.

Glad I bought them now. They will make great gifts for the kiddos.

robertc1024

Staff member
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 22, 2013
    San Marcos
    I had quite a run for a few years there.

Yugo SKS for $110

K98 Swiss for $140

M-1 Carbine for $250

Enfield 303 for $80

Was mad to pay $200 for a Romanian SKS.

Glad I bought them now. They will make great gifts for the kiddos.
    Thats some good stuff. I really like shooting my SKS, recoil is nothing and I don't get the cheek slap like I do with an AK. I'd love to try out a .303 Enfield at some point . I keep thinking about a Moisin, but the first one I shot was a carbine with the steel butt plate. After a few rounds, I needed some Advil.

deemus

my mama says I'm special
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    DFW
    Thats some good stuff. I really like shooting my SKS, recoil is nothing and I don't get the cheek slap like I do with an AK. I'd love to try out a .303 Enfield at some point . I keep thinking about a Moisin, but the first one I shot was a carbine with the steel butt plate. After a few rounds, I needed some Advil.

The 303 kick is minimal. That wood stock to the end of the barrel makes it really heavy.

deemus

my mama says I'm special
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    DFW
    Yep. In the 80's we bought them at gun shows for $60. I'd shoot 1040 rounds (a case of surplus ammo on stripper clips) through it, then sell it for $150. I must have had at least 6 or 8. Sure wish I would have kept a few of those. But alas, I was too young and dumb to realize how good I had it.

Also had a $450 Russian pre-ban AK. But I was too dumb to know what I had.

Young and dumb has been a theme in my life.....

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    Thats some good stuff. I really like shooting my SKS, recoil is nothing and I don't get the cheek slap like I do with an AK.

Yep, Simonovs are quite tame compared to Kalashnikovs; and I think they are badly underrated rifles!

I keep thinking about a Moisin, but the first one I shot was a carbine with the steel butt plate. After a few rounds, I needed some Advil.

Yeah, but 7.62x54R is a real fun fireball of a round through the M44 (carbine) versions; but I usually end up with some colorful shoulder bruises if I put a lot of ammo through mine...

Capture1.PNG

Capture3.PNG

Cheers! M2

deemus

my mama says I'm special
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    DFW
    Shoulda.
    They never shoulda gone over 200 bucks.
    Then again, I wouldn't give 100 for an AK47.

They seem massively over priced. After owning several, I would never pay over $250 for one, inflation be damned.

I also won't sell the one I have.

SQLGeek

Muh state lines
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 22, 2017
    Richmond
    Well, with major thanks to majormadmax for the lead, I brought home a Norinco today in a fiberglass "jungle stock". This has a scout scope mount so it's optics ready if I want to go that way. Otherwise I'll put the original rear sight on. The seller threw in an extra magazine, a couple of extra spike bayonets and the wood furniture.

I am not sorry I went this route, it will be a great shooter.

I have some Czech BXN stripper clips coming from eBay. Now just need a case of ammo and I'm ready to roll.

I've wanted an SKS for maybe 20 years. Took me longer than I wanted and probably more money, but I have finally arrived in the Combloc club. :)

A big thank you to everyone who shared advice.

SKS.jpg

Ignore the mess. :)

SKS2.jpg

Close up of the scout scope mount and ribbed handguard.

I'll try to snag some more detailed pictures tomorrow. Ran out of light this afternoon.

Top Bottom