• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 45tex

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 1, 2009
    I can't believe nobody was reminded of the late Michaei Creighton's novel The Swarm.
    Where "nanites" could swarm into any configuration and used group think to kill you.

A.Texas.Yankee

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2012
    NTX
    I can't believe nobody was reminded of the late Michaei Creighton's novel The Swarm.
    Where "nanites" could swarm into any configuration and used group think to kill you.
    Did you mean Micro? Crichton novels always entertained me. While they are science fiction, most were usually based on current scientific theories and almost predicted some future technologies. I have to re-read some of his, specifically Eaters of them Dead.

RIP Michael Crichton

Sent from my LG-H830 using Tapatalk

TheDan

deplorable malcontent scofflaw
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    Once the machines are able to design and reproduce/construct themselves, we're screwed.
    Reproduction and simple design aren't really that scary. What is scary is if an AI is produced that can understand and alter it's own programming. That would be like us actually understanding how our brain works, and re-wiring it... in real time. That's something we cannot do.

There are already "programmer bots" that automate a lot of development work, but actual understanding of it in the same way that we do is a long ways off; if possible at all. I think all this is moot as we'll be able to merge with technology in ways that blur whats human and what's machine long before AI reaches that level. The super intelligent machines will be us.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Reproduction and simple design aren't really that scary. What is scary is if an AI is produced that can understand and alter it's own programming. That would be like us actually understanding how our brain works, and re-wiring it... in real time. That's something we cannot do.

There are already "programmer bots" that automate a lot of development work, but actual understanding of it in the same way that we do is a long ways off; if possible at all. I think all this is moot as we'll be able to merge with technology in ways that blur whats human and what's machine long before AI reaches that level. The super intelligent machines will be us.

I think we are safe until the first, really workable, quantum computer is created. Current technology, and future tech grounded in current tech simply won't have the processing power for such complex variables as the human mind can produce IMO.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Keeping in mind that a quantum computer about the size of a grain of sand would be a leap from current computing at least as large as comparing a modern super computer to an old vaccuum tube "computer" that took up an entire room.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rebel

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 20, 2014

My first thought was Von Neumann's War by John Ringo & Travis S. Taylor

TheDan

deplorable malcontent scofflaw
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    I think we are safe until the first, really workable, quantum computer is created. Current technology, and future tech grounded in current tech simply won't have the processing power for such complex variables as the human mind can produce IMO.
    It still requires us to program it. If you gave Watson a quantum processor, he'd just do what he currently does instantly. It's not like he'd magically gain sentience and go kill all humans.

I think the singularity is still more likely to happen before a thinking mind can be simulated, and then how cool would that be to plug a quantum processor into your brain. Our brains are evolved to essentially just perform risk benefit analysis in discrete real-time. It'd be like you have a third hemisphere that can go through all possible outcomes instantaneously. More human than human.

Top Bottom