Join TexasGunTalk

Slide fire stocks for SHTF situations?

Discussion in 'Gear & Accessories' started by Sapper740, Sep 10, 2013.

1. Sapper740

Sapper740 TGT Addict BANNED!!!

Jan 21, 2013
    I'm considering picking up a couple of slide fire stocks, one for an AK, the other for an AR in case I need to increase my volume of fire during a SHTF situation. I'd like to hear people's opinions of them, especially from TGT members who own or have fired them. I've watched several videos and they seem to quite controllable, at least in the AR and look like they'd make a great MDU (MOB DISPERSAL UNIT), especially with a Beta mag. Your thoughts, Gentlemen?

2. reddog

reddog Member

Jul 19, 2013
    Whether it would have any practical value or not in a tactical environment I couldn't say but I have one on a 9mm AR and it is a blast to shoot. Like anything like the slidefire practice is the important thing. I have fired thousands of rounds using mine and feel quite comfortable with using it accurately, but that's with a lot of practice.

3. grumper

grumper TGT Addict

Jul 5, 2012
    Austin
    No.

For life or death situation reliability needs to be as close to 100% as possible.

I've bump fired an AR fast enough the old fashioned way with a light 2 stage trigger and ended up with hammer down on a live round, no boom, weapon is useless until recocked.

In SHTF I wouldn't even use my real select-fire because it's a range toy that uses non-standard parts which took tinkering to make it run right.

If you want one for fun then get it for that reason.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2013
  4. Brains

Brains IQ: 47

Apr 9, 2013
    Cypress
    For a SHTF moment I think I'd rather conserve ammo, minimize reloads, make every shot count and stay SA. Personal opinion.

5. Dawico

Dawico Uncoiled Lifetime Member

Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    I wouldn't use a slide fire anywhere but the range. If a target is worth shooting it is worth hitting.

6. London

London The advocate's Devil. TGT Supporter

Sep 28, 2010
    Twilight Zone
    FA is fine if your are in the military using military suppressive fire tactics. By your onesies, paying for your own ammo, you'll probably be better off going SA.

I haven't bump-fired but I understand even those stocks take skill and practice. In a life/death adrenaline dump situation I doubt you will have the coordination left to make this work.

7. Ready.Fire.Aim

Ready.Fire.Aim Active Member

Bad idea. Aim and hit your targets.

I have a slide- fire, it is a fun toy, nothing else.

I have shot thousands of rounds of full auto in different machine guns including M16s, SMG, and belt fed. Full auto it is not accurate beyond 25 yards - unless it is a belt fed mounted on a solidly emplaced tripod.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2013
  8. Sugar Land

Sugar Land TGT Addict TGT Supporter

Apr 7, 2012
    Sugar Land Texas
    I have an SA Mac11 that will bump fire easy and will dump a 30 round mag in less than 2 seconds but it is just something to play with and not something that you would have to depend on.

A hell of a lot of fun.

9. Shotgun Jeremy

Shotgun Jeremy TGT Addict

Jul 8, 2012
    Copperas Cove
    I tried the slide fire. Too much to it-I couldnt get it to work. In a home defensive situation, you will not be accurate with any type of full auto. If you really wanna be deadly, stick with three round burst or single fire and fast reflexes. Full auto is mainly to lay suppressive fire while someone else charges forward or works to flank the enemy. It can be ok for use against an oncoming vehicle if you just have nothing else, but thats about it. If you're alone and have an oncoming vehicle threat, you're better off trying to make yourself invisible and assessing the situation once they get out.

10. CJ7nvrstk

CJ7nvrstk Member

Jan 25, 2013
    Prosper, TX
    ditto!

like others have said, wastes too much ammo and significant practice is needed to be proficient.