• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • HEJL STORM

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 17, 2014
    College Station, TX
    Hey again guys, I'm looking into buying a Bigfoot or like camper for the back of my truck. As far as I know they do not require a state plate. I drive a 97 Dodge 1500 5.9 4 speed 2wd.
    Target Sports

bones_708

Well-Known
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 24, 2013
    In Texas slide in's don't require registration or titles. As to being worth it? Honestly not for most people. It really depends on how much you use it doesn't it?

Byrd666

Flyin' 'round in circles........somewhere
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 24, 2012
    Hill County
    Depends. Is going to on your truck full time while you are traveling the country? Is it going to be a "weekender" and stored on your property when not in use? Most of the RV parks I've either stayed at or lived in will not them sit there without being on your vehicle. IF I were to spend that kind of cash, I'd just buy a towable and eat the registration costs.

Vaquero

Moving stuff to the gas prices thread.....
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 4, 2011
    Dixie Land
    Math & motels is not my strong suit, but how many weeks/months/years would it take to make that pay???

I was banking 3k a month, just on per diem, after meal and lodging were paid.
    It can happen quick.

TheDan

deplorable malcontent scofflaw
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    I've been considering a slide in as well, but can't commit. They all seem expensive, yet cheaply made. Not sure how long they really hold up. I did see one for a long bed 1 ton that was bigger than my first apartment :laughing: I could be comfortable living in that indefinitely as long as I was parked somewhere nice. It was $45k...

shortround

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 24, 2011
    Grid 0409
    An RV, of any type is not an investment but an asset.

Assets depreciate. I have an eight year old RV, and for the money I paid for it, I could have stayed at some better hotels for at least 147 nights at $150 per night.

I thought I could beat the high price of hotels, but as a part time enthusiast, that was a pipe dream. Eight years later, I have an old beater that probably would not bring more than salvage value, and when I add the original cost of the RV with park fees, I paid far more than had I stayed in a hotel.

Another thought: Summers and winters are brutal in the RV world. You have to park your rig, level it, make electrical, water, and sewer connections, and wait at least twenty minutes for the water heater to give you a warm shower, or for the heater to warm up the rig.

Unless you are a "full timer in an RV" it is cheaper to pay as you go in fixed facilities.

Then, you have maintenance and upkeep. RV's are notoriously expensive to maintain, especially if you don't live in them full time.

On my last outing, the circuit board to the water heater went tits up and the replacement was another $275.

For part timers, either rent one or get a hotel room.

Despite all that, don't give up on shooting!

TheDan

deplorable malcontent scofflaw
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    What's the typical lifespan of a camper/slide in? All the one's I've seen used are really run down and they might only be 7 or 8 years old. It doesn't seem like they last very long.

winchster

Right Wing Extremist
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 7, 2010
    Justin, TX
    The ones you see down here are mostly "cheap" and look like crap after a few years. Virtually all the ones i saw while living in Oregon were much better quality and condition. Of course they cost considerably more upfront.

Stukaman

Well-Known
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 26, 2011
    Fort Worth
    Oregon is the land of slide in camper and I agree with Winchster down here they suck. Keep in mind I bought a 2003 campmaster toy hauler for working out here in the patch and in the time I've had it I've not used it. In fact I'm thinking of selling it.

Vaquero

Moving stuff to the gas prices thread.....
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 4, 2011
    Dixie Land
    Oregon is the land of slide in camper and I agree with Winchster down here they suck. Keep in mind I bought a 2003 campmaster toy hauler for working out here in the patch and in the time I've had it I've not used it. In fact I'm thinking of selling it.

I'd like a chance at it.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.

Why ain't ya used it?

Seems perfect. Head out to the fields, park your house, pull the bike out of the garage....

I'd love somethin like that for my trips to west Texas, cept that the drivers out there would run me over. And I don't go enough for it to be worth it.

AustinN4

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Nov 27, 2013
    Austin
    I have an eight year old RV, and for the money I paid for it, I could have stayed at some better hotels for at least 147 nights at $150 per night.
    The words camper and investment should never ever be used in the same sentence. I have looked many times at going the camper route only to come to the same conclusion that shortround did. It is was less $ to stay at hotels, and even more so if you drive a high MPG car.

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Irowland1994
    Top Bottom