• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Sasquatch

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 20, 2020
    Magnolia
    I agree that revolvers are not simple--lots of parts and pieces that have to work correctly every time. However, I've had failures with a revolver only twice (in 45 years of shooting them)--and both times were my fault. One time I left oil under the extractor and unburned powder flakes stuck to it, built up, and raised the extractor so high that the cylinder wouldn't revolve. Another time I reloaded some .38 Special and didn't seat the primers deeply enough. So, of course, they dragged on the recoil shield and the cylinder wouldn't revolve.
    On the other hand, every semi-auto I've ever owned (and I've owned lots of them) has failed at least once. They were all maintained correctly and fed high-quality factory-loaded ammo.
    And yes, I'm familiar with all the methods of racking or releasing a slide. However, at 80 years of age I don't have the grip strength I had "back in the day" and if the occasion arises that I have to rack the slide, I'm just not confident that I can do it.
    And the idea of racking with the strong hand while holding with the weak hand really doesn't appeal to me. Not only is my weak hand significantly weaker than my strong hand, I don't shoot well with it either (yes, yes I know--one should practice shooting with both hands). And I really, really don't like the idea of having to switch the gun back to my strong hand from my weak hand. Not only do I lack grip strength, my manual dexterity is not what it used to be--I would hate to drop the gun in the middle of the switch-over!

Didn't realize you were that advanced in age - the M&P 380 EZ may be a better option than the 9 for you - lighter recoil spring (at least it felt lighter when I compared the two) and softer shooter than the 9x19. If you don't mind 1911 pattern pistols, Browning makes a real tilting barrel .380 1911 - its not a snappy little blow back - its a genuine scaled down 1911 that is easier to rack than a lot of other pistols.
    Guns International

CharlieWH2O

Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 14, 2015
    Galveston County
    Ditto on the Browning 1911 .380. Good little platform and not that hard to manipulate the slide. The 1911 .22 is even easier to manipulate and easier to shoot. I also have a LCP II in .22LR easy to rack and easy to shoot. I still carry and shoot well a full sized 1911 in .45 ACP in my 69th year. Quoting Mr. Eastwood, "Don't let the old man in" though he is knocking hard at my door.

Cityboy

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2021
    Fredericksburg, TX
    Didn't realize you were that advanced in age - the M&P 380 EZ may be a better option than the 9 for you - lighter recoil spring (at least it felt lighter when I compared the two) and softer shooter than the 9x19. If you don't mind 1911 pattern pistols, Browning makes a real tilting barrel .380 1911 - its not a snappy little blow back - its a genuine scaled down 1911 that is easier to rack than a lot of other pistols.
    Re my "advanced" age: when people ask me, "Don't you just hate having another birthday," my response is, "Not at all--I want to have as many as I can."
    I'm not really comfortable with the power of the 380, but may go with it anyway. If I'm ever in an armed confrontation, it's probably better to have a slide that's easier to rack (in case of a malfunction), than to have more power in a gun with a slide I may not be able to rack.

Cityboy

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2021
    Fredericksburg, TX
    Ditto on the Browning 1911 .380. Good little platform and not that hard to manipulate the slide. The 1911 .22 is even easier to manipulate and easier to shoot. I also have a LCP II in .22LR easy to rack and easy to shoot. I still carry and shoot well a full sized 1911 in .45 ACP in my 69th year. Quoting Mr. Eastwood, "Don't let the old man in" though he is knocking hard at my door.
    Wait until you hit 80!

Cityboy

Sasquatch

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 20, 2020
    Magnolia
    Re my "advanced" age: when people ask me, "Don't you just hate having another birthday," my response is, "Not at all--I want to have as many as I can."
    I'm not really comfortable with the power of the 380, but may go with it anyway. If I'm ever in an armed confrontation, it's probably better to have a slide that's easier to rack (in case of a malfunction), than to have more power in a gun with a slide I may not be able to rack.

It beats having no gun, or a .22 - some of the modern 380 approaches light 9mm performance

leVieux

TSRA/NRA Life Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    They are absolutely in no way shape or form, simple
    View attachment 299929
    Each one of those parts you see requires some degree of hand fitting, and i can tell you from personal experience even older S&W's from the 60's and 70's are not particularly impressive examples of machining or fitting

I've shot quite a bit through autos and revolvers. I've had malfunctions with both.

Semis never had a problem that wasn't cured with racking the slide. Revolvers, however, have had to take trips back to the factory, or have required me to detail strip the gun, or use something like a pencil to get a stuck case out.

I love revolvers, don't get me wrong, my favorite handgun is my 66 no dash, but the day of revolvers has passed

They are "simple" to OPERATE !

Most of us on here are familiar with mechanics and "timing" problems.

Yes, I've had a "revolver malfunction" but I've had HUNDREDS of (semi) Auto malfunctions.

leVieux

zackmars

Free 1911 refinishing
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 4, 2015
    Texas
    They are "simple" to OPERATE !

Most of us on here are familiar with mechanics and "timing" problems.

Yes, I've had a "revolver malfunction" but I've had HUNDREDS of (semi) Auto malfunctions.

leVieux
    Still not really true. A DA/SA revolver trigger is no more or less complicated to use than a DA/SA trigger on a semi auto, and i would argue the semi auto is far easier to make ready to fire or to reload than a revolver

A slide lock lever and magazine release are no more complicared than a cylinder latch, and ejector lever. And a magazine is way more simple and easy instead of a speed loader

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    I for one do not believe in the fallacy that revolvers are less prone, or immune to malfunctions or failures than semi-auto pistols.

Dirt or debris gunking up internals can happen to either. I find that semi-autos can be field-stripped to the most basic of it's parts and cleaned much easier than most revolvers can be, or than most are willing to do regarding them.

leVieux

TSRA/NRA Life Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Still not really true. A DA/SA revolver trigger is no more or less complicated to use than a DA/SA trigger on a semi auto, and i would argue the semi auto is far easier to make ready to fire or to reload than a revolver

A slide lock lever and magazine release are no more complicared than a cylinder latch, and ejector lever. And a magazine is way more simple and easy instead of a speed loader

OK, no use beating this dead horse any longer.

Thank you for your opinions.

I do not share them, as my experiences have been different from yours.

Good Night,
    leVieux

Cityboy

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2021
    Fredericksburg, TX
    I for one do not believe in the fallacy that revolvers are less prone, or immune to malfunctions or failures than semi-auto pistols.

Dirt or debris gunking up internals can happen to either. I find that semi-autos can be field-stripped to the most basic of it's parts and cleaned much easier than most revolvers can be, or than most are willing to do regarding them.

Cityboy

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2021
    Fredericksburg, TX
    Sorry, can't agree with your first statement. As I stated in an earlier post, I've had only two malfunctions with the many revolvers I've owned and both of those were my own fault. On the other hand, I've had at least one (and usually more than one) malfunction with every one of the semi-autos I've fired, and I've owned and fired a lot of them.

I do agree with your second statement. Semi-autos are much more forgiving of abuse and are easier to fix if they are abused.

As the OP, I do have a question for everybody: how did we get on the question of which was more reliable, revolver or semiauto? My original question was if anybody knew the slide retraction effort on a Walther CCP 9MM M2. I guess one thing leads to another and pretty soon you don't remember where you started off.

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Sorry, can't agree with your first statement. As I stated in an earlier post, I've had only two malfunctions with the many revolvers I've owned and both of those were my own fault. On the other hand, I've had at least one (and usually more than one) malfunction with every one of the semi-autos I've fired, and I've owned and fired a lot of them.

I do agree with your second statement. Semi-autos are much more forgiving of abuse and are easier to fix if they are abused.

As the OP, I do have a question for everybody: how did we get on the question of which was more reliable, revolver or semiauto? My original question was if anybody knew the slide retraction effort on a Walther CCP 9MM M2. I guess one thing leads to another and pretty soon you don't remember where you started off.
    Pull off the sideplate of a revolver sometime and tell me all that debris and gunk isn't a possible malfunction waiting to happen.

zackmars

Free 1911 refinishing
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 4, 2015
    Texas

It's Texas gun talk. We don't stay on topic here.

You say you usually have more than one malfunction every time you shoot a semi? Unless all the semis You've shot are hi points, you are doing something wrong

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    I carried a revolver when i had to do some weedeating once.

Once.
    I have bought used revolvers that looked pristine on the out side, but removed the grips and sideplates and they were just nasty looking.

Every couple of months, I completely tear down my revolvers and flush them with cleaner and blow them out with compressed air. then re-oil them with a good light duty gun oil.

I'm not going to tell others what to believe or what to put their trust into, and I hope the OP doesn't learn the hard way that sometimes fallacies are just that, a fallacy.

Cityboy

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2021
    Fredericksburg, TX
    Pull off the sideplate of a revolver sometime and tell me all that debris and gunk isn't a possible malfunction waiting to happen.
    I'm sure you're right, but my wife had a S&W Model 10 made in 1970 and the sideplate never came off of it, so I can't say for sure how much debris and gunk were inside. However, it was shot regularly and cleaned regularly and it never failed.

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    I'm sure you're right, but my wife had a S&W Model 10 made in 1970 and the sideplate never came off of it, so I can't say for sure how much debris and gunk were inside. However, it was shot regularly and cleaned regularly and it never failed.
    And you are not curious as to how much debris and gunk is inside there?

If you are not pulling the sideplate and grips, just how well are you really cleaning it?

ZX9RCAM

Over the Rainbow bridge...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.
    It's Texas gun talk. We don't stay on topic here.

You say you usually have more than one malfunction every time you shoot a semi? Unless all the semis You've shot are hi points, you are doing something wrong
    Every one he's fired, not every time.

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Irowland1994
    Top Bottom