• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • HippiePhd

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 16, 2012
    Austin, TX
    I'm plenty familiar with firearms and fishing, but am new to hunting. I'd like to start out with some small game, like maybe rabbits.

What's the best way to find some land/opportunity to do small game hunting around the Austin area? I imagine it would have to be easier to get into than Deer hunting, or is that not the case?

Thanks in advance for any pointers.

Bumblingbear

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 22, 2012
    Austin
    I'm plenty familiar with firearms and fishing, but am new to hunting. I'd like to start out with some small game, like maybe rabbits.

What's the best way to find some land/opportunity to do small game hunting around the Austin area? I imagine it would have to be easier to get into than Deer hunting, or is that not the case?

Thanks in advance for any pointers.

To be honest, I'm in the same predicament myself.

I really do not want to drive 3+ hours to the nearest national forest...

But there's not a lot of hunting friendly land near Austin that I've found.

I personally am just trying to network and find someone with some land who doesn't mind me bagging a few critters every year.

TexMex247

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 11, 2009
    Leander(NW Austin)
    You typically have to know someone with property and have some personal history with them. Almost no one out there wants to grant access to property and allow someone to shoot guns that they don't know. Your best bet is to be a part of a multi-gun lease and ask to pay less to shoot only small game. You might be doing them a favor by shooting rabbits if they feed heavily year 'round. Also, most people I know don't consider rabbits a game animal, nor do they wan't to reduce the population. I have never heard of any public land that allows small game hunting so that may be even less of a possibility. Sadly, I think you're stuck with a lease or the target range.

Top Bottom