• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • andre3k

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 8, 2008
    Houston
    I would personally avoid those calibers. Plinking ammo for less common rounds would have a higher profit margin.

Many people won't buy guns because of the cost of ammo. Make the ammo affordable and the guns will sell, and so will your ammo.

That's what I was trying to get across in that post. Load something other than 9/40/45.
    Venture Surplus ad

Last edited:

jparks54

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 15, 2013
    Fruitvale
    I was thinking 556/223 .357/.38 possibly some others but i think these are some that will do the best judging by the gun comunity in my immediate area. .357 are very popular.

Im going to submit some CJ to try and get a couple ar configurations id like to build. Again have had great intrest in my area. That way i can go a bit with out having to pay ITAR until i can start getting into the expensive and fun part of true manufacturing.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    I was thinking 556/223 .357/.38 possibly some others but i think these are some that will do the best judging by the gun comunity in my immediate area. .357 are very popular.

Im going to submit some CJ to try and get a couple ar configurations id like to build. Again have had great intrest in my area. That way i can go a bit with out having to pay ITAR until i can start getting into the expensive and fun part of true manufacturing.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk
    Cheap plinking ammo for .38/ .357 would probably do well.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Considering the stupid high price for any store bought .38/.357, yes.

Should have much better profit margins than most other rounds.

shooterfpga

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 24, 2011
    Conroe, TX
    I already have a source for cheap new and remanufactured 308 match ammo. Load me some 6.5 creedmoor and ill buy. I researched some of the more known reloaders and they were all more than factory. Not a good deal.

V-Tach

Watching While the Sheep Graze
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 30, 2012
    Texas
    That $2250 ITAR fee honestly pales in comparison to the investment in raw material and equipment if anyone is serious about this business. I've never understood why that would be a roadblock. General liability insurance will be that much if not more if you go through that insurance agency that the NSSF promotes.

I concur, the ITAR pales to the investment of a building, equipment, inventory and all the start up costs associated with getting open for business....To me, it was painful having to write a check for another "Tax" just to make the Government happy.... Unless you are actually importing and exporting, I really don't think the State Department should get a dime from a start up company........

jmho..of course....

Rebel

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 20, 2014
    I second .38/.357 and .44 mag/special. I can rarely find .357 outside of specialty ammo. When I do find paper shootin .357, it's obscenely expensive.

That said, based on my experience and the experiences of others I've known, I'm pretty reluctant to purchase reloads in the first place.

TX69

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 23, 2012
    DFW
    44 spcl/mag also. That stuff is crazy expensive.

Yep. WTF happened with that caliber? I was shooting 44Mag for $17.50 a box of 50 240gr not that long ago. Now this shit costs $50 !!! My 629 just sits in the safe now.

andre3k

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 8, 2008
    Houston
    I concur, the ITAR pales to the investment of a building, equipment, inventory and all the start up costs associated with getting open for business....To me, it was painful having to write a check for another "Tax" just to make the Government happy.... Unless you are actually importing and exporting, I really don't think the State Department should get a dime from a start up company........

jmho..of course....
    I totally agree.

orbitup

Sticker Cop
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Nov 6, 2010
    Waxyscratchy
    Yep. WTF happened with that caliber? I was shooting 44Mag for $17.50 a box of 50 240gr not that long ago. Now this shit costs $50 !!! My 629 just sits in the safe now.

When I just had a 44 spcl I was only buying reloads from gun shows. I couldn't bring myself to pay for manufactured stuff. Now I reload for it and I can shoot it whenever I want.

Deavis

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 20, 2011
    Austin
    You run either 1050s on low volume or camdex/ammoload on high volume. Don't fool yourself into thinking you can automate enough 1050s to compete with a camdex or ammoload. The automation out there simply isn't reliable enough to keep up.

Specializing in calibers sounds good but your volume will be low. People don't buy cases of 44 mag on a regular basis. Plus, the margin isn't as good as you would think given the cost of brass, which your average reloader gets to neglect. Ranges don't produce a lot of 44mag, so your are mostly buying new.

If you have to choose, the camdex is a better machine in my opinion. Especially since they are the only people making a reasonable case processor these days.

Top Bottom