small town gun shows

iamsamcrawdad

Jan 10, 2013
Aransas Pass
went to the local gun show today and it seems like every month or so it's hit or miss on good deals. I see the same familiar faces and booths and vendors and I am surprised how some stay competitive or make money at all. guys selling used magazines for "new" prices and displaying the same guns from 5 shows ago and wont barter or haggle one bit. I've been doing more business online for my needs since I cant seem to find what I want locally. anyone else see this pattern or is this the small show mentality?

Texan2

TGT Addict
Nov 8, 2008
South of San Antonio
For some reason down in your area gun prices are always above average. That having been said, gun shows are typically not the place to go for a deal on a gun.

Whisky

Well-Known
BANNED!!!
Jan 27, 2013
I bought one of my pistols at our local show (Conroe, Tx) - wouldn't have had I thought it wasn't fairly priced

also bought some ammo - 9x18 and .380 - 'cause it couldn't be had anywhere else - yes, sorta gouging prices there

bought too a couple of inexpensive holsters 'cause they're less expensive than anywhere else - and I'm gonna buy another next show

all the above over 4 visits

gotta know prices - gotta know elsewhere availability

Last edited:

Dawico

Uncoiled
Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2009
Lampasas, Texas
Even big gun shows are hit and miss.

The key is going to browse and see what is out there. If you go looking for a great deal or getting top dollar for your items you will get disappointed every time.

Leper

Sep 28, 2008
I go for specific things. I know what I want and what a fair price is on it. That info alone can help negotiate a better deal. Every once in a while I find an impulse buy and just do it. The guy walking past a table I was working with the S12 over his shoulder no longer had to worry about the weight once he past me. Some of the best deals I find are from people walking around. I will point out that the farther from the front you go, the better the deals seem to be. I have seen primers at $50 a box in the front and $30 a box near the back. Same with .22s
edit
Also, you may happen across the guy that badly wants what you are selling. I was getting rid of an old llama .380 and a guy walked up to me that wanted to get rid of his RIA .45.he really wanted that llama, so for the llama and $200 I left with his Ria. Win win.

Last edited:

ares338

Dec 26, 2011
Paris, Texas
I see the same thing in local gun shows. Gun prices are so outrageous as to be comical. However I have found great deals on powder, primers and bullets. I was at the Greenville Gun Show last and that was the case there. I didn't see one pistol that was fairly priced ( at least in my definition of fair ).

CrazedJava

Well-Known
Sep 5, 2013
DFW
Doesn't seem to matter whether it is a large show or town or small show or town. Always hit or miss. I've started thinking of the door fee as just the privilege of seeing everything in one place and don't even consider it as part of the price of purchase if I find something or as a cost if I am selling.

Trying to find a good deal at a show means being aware of the market before going in. Sometimes I see something that I can research later. I never buy without information these days and so far I haven't missed a really good deal but I have avoided some that could have been bad.

I gave up trying to find ammo unless it's something very esoteric. The vendors for ammo at gun shows are apparently living in some alternate reality where bullets are already barter or something. It was like that pre-panic and hasn't got any better.

Hondo

Aug 15, 2009
The F in DFW
I've tried some of the smaller show in the area, can't see charging the same entry fee that a big show charges if you only have ten tables.

IXLR8

TGT Addict
TGT Supporter
May 19, 2009
Republic of Texas
I see more and more people consulting their phones to see if it is a good price. Shoppers are becoming more educated about the items. This will eventually weed out the overpriced vendors. It is the one of a kind items that make me want to pay a little more. There was a breakdown 10/22 stainless with a threaded barrel which is only sold on allocation from one distributor I could not pass up....

JimmyB

Feb 10, 2013
Tomball, TX
I see more and more people consulting their phones to see if it is a good price. Shoppers are becoming more educated about the items. This will eventually weed out the overpriced vendors. It is the one of a kind items that make me want to pay a little more. There was a breakdown 10/22 stainless with a threaded barrel which is only sold on allocation from one distributor I could not pass up....
This.

I was at the Conroe show a few weeks back and was looking to pick up a new auto knife. Almost pulled the trigger on a nice benchmade because the guy was having a "sale". Pulled out the Iphone and figured out he was $80 higher than bladehq, no sale there.

$15-25 bucks higher and sure I will support local, but $80 on an item under $200? NOPE.

Top Bottom