• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • iamsamcrawdad

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 10, 2013
    Aransas Pass
    went to the local gun show today and it seems like every month or so it's hit or miss on good deals. I see the same familiar faces and booths and vendors and I am surprised how some stay competitive or make money at all. guys selling used magazines for "new" prices and displaying the same guns from 5 shows ago and wont barter or haggle one bit. I've been doing more business online for my needs since I cant seem to find what I want locally. anyone else see this pattern or is this the small show mentality?
    Texas SOT

Whisky

Well-Known
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2013
    I bought one of my pistols at our local show (Conroe, Tx) - wouldn't have had I thought it wasn't fairly priced

also bought some ammo - 9x18 and .380 - 'cause it couldn't be had anywhere else - yes, sorta gouging prices there

bought too a couple of inexpensive holsters 'cause they're less expensive than anywhere else - and I'm gonna buy another next show

all the above over 4 visits

gotta know prices - gotta know elsewhere availability

Last edited:

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    Even big gun shows are hit and miss.

The key is going to browse and see what is out there. If you go looking for a great deal or getting top dollar for your items you will get disappointed every time.

Leper

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 28, 2008
    I go for specific things. I know what I want and what a fair price is on it. That info alone can help negotiate a better deal. Every once in a while I find an impulse buy and just do it. The guy walking past a table I was working with the S12 over his shoulder no longer had to worry about the weight once he past me. Some of the best deals I find are from people walking around. I will point out that the farther from the front you go, the better the deals seem to be. I have seen primers at $50 a box in the front and $30 a box near the back. Same with .22s
    edit
    Also, you may happen across the guy that badly wants what you are selling. I was getting rid of an old llama .380 and a guy walked up to me that wanted to get rid of his RIA .45.he really wanted that llama, so for the llama and $200 I left with his Ria. Win win.

Last edited:

ares338

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 26, 2011
    Paris, Texas
    I see the same thing in local gun shows. Gun prices are so outrageous as to be comical. However I have found great deals on powder, primers and bullets. I was at the Greenville Gun Show last and that was the case there. I didn't see one pistol that was fairly priced ( at least in my definition of fair ).

CrazedJava

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 5, 2013
    DFW
    Doesn't seem to matter whether it is a large show or town or small show or town. Always hit or miss. I've started thinking of the door fee as just the privilege of seeing everything in one place and don't even consider it as part of the price of purchase if I find something or as a cost if I am selling.

Trying to find a good deal at a show means being aware of the market before going in. Sometimes I see something that I can research later. I never buy without information these days and so far I haven't missed a really good deal but I have avoided some that could have been bad.

I gave up trying to find ammo unless it's something very esoteric. The vendors for ammo at gun shows are apparently living in some alternate reality where bullets are already barter or something. It was like that pre-panic and hasn't got any better.

Hondo

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 15, 2009
    The F in DFW
    I've tried some of the smaller show in the area, can't see charging the same entry fee that a big show charges if you only have ten tables.

IXLR8

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 19, 2009
    Republic of Texas
    I see more and more people consulting their phones to see if it is a good price. Shoppers are becoming more educated about the items. This will eventually weed out the overpriced vendors. It is the one of a kind items that make me want to pay a little more. There was a breakdown 10/22 stainless with a threaded barrel which is only sold on allocation from one distributor I could not pass up....

JimmyB

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 10, 2013
    Tomball, TX
    I see more and more people consulting their phones to see if it is a good price. Shoppers are becoming more educated about the items. This will eventually weed out the overpriced vendors. It is the one of a kind items that make me want to pay a little more. There was a breakdown 10/22 stainless with a threaded barrel which is only sold on allocation from one distributor I could not pass up....
    This.

I was at the Conroe show a few weeks back and was looking to pick up a new auto knife. Almost pulled the trigger on a nice benchmade because the guy was having a "sale". Pulled out the Iphone and figured out he was $80 higher than bladehq, no sale there.

$15-25 bucks higher and sure I will support local, but $80 on an item under $200? NOPE.

robertc1216

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 8, 2011
    Cypress
    This.

I was at the Conroe show a few weeks back and was looking to pick up a new auto knife. Almost pulled the trigger on a nice benchmade because the guy was having a "sale". Pulled out the Iphone and figured out he was $80 higher than bladehq, no sale there.

$15-25 bucks higher and sure I will support local, but $80 on an item under $200? NOPE.
    Lol you mean I pulled out the droid because the apple didn't get a signal.

CrazedJava

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 5, 2013
    DFW
    Those guys are banking on ignorance. Just don't be the sucker...

You can price it however you want and I'm generally not going to say anything, I'll vote with my wallet.

What DOES bug me about some of these guys is that they will offer ridiculously bad prices on ammo, guns, or whatever and then act like it's such a great value or that they are doing some kind of service. Gee, sir, I am overwhelmed by your magnanimity.

Blayglock

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 26, 2013
    San Antonio, TX
    They were pretty bad up in Pittsburgh before I lived back. Post Sandy Hook it got even worse. I generally avoid gun shows unless a buddy wants me to go along to help him look.

I do most of my shopping online because I know that I can usually find what I want for 20% off msrp. If a local shop has a gun that I can find online an is priced within $50 including what a transfer fee would cost me, I'll go through them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

DFTR

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2013
    Fort Worth
    Most of my purchases are online, at Gunbroker, these days and pawn shops. At the last BigTown show I attended I did manage a sweet old dbl barrel exposed hammer 12ga. Otherwise I only go for some milsurp ammo or a rifle stock. Something small. These firearm gunshow prices are a bit steep around here. Even for ones that need repairs. Pawnshops are better priced. Plus the layaway helps. I have a Mauser on layaway now. Hardly attend gunshows anymore. Now that Obama has trimmed the field to the same vendors and inflated prices after November last year.

stdreb27

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 12, 2011
    Corpus christi
    You can price it however you want and I'm generally not going to say anything, I'll vote with my wallet.

What DOES bug me about some of these guys is that they will offer ridiculously bad prices on ammo, guns, or whatever and then act like it's such a great value or that they are doing some kind of service. Gee, sir, I am overwhelmed by your magnanimity.

To expand a little further. At first glance the average guy would assume 20 sellers selling the same thing right next to each other. Prices have to be competitive.

But the vendors have all decided, you know what there are going to be enough first time, buyers in here, who won't know what they're looking at. I could charge above msrp sell a little harder feed off the frenzy and pad my retirement.

Hence they're banking on ignorance...

I haven't bought much in the last year and a half either...

doublenut9

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 12, 2011
    Troy
    I think in the 5 years I have been going to gun shows, I have bought 4 boxes of ammo. LOL...my wife has found good deals on jewelry and miscellaneous woman stuff. So it is a win win situation in our house, I go to look, she goes to buy!

V-Tach

Watching While the Sheep Graze
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 30, 2012
    Texas
    Occasionally you will find a decent deal. I bought an Enfield MkIII* for 100.00 a couple of months ago at the Robstown show...good shooter in decent shape....

iamsamcrawdad

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 10, 2013
    Aransas Pass
    thanks for all the input. needless to say I walked out with 5 dollars less in my pocket and that was it. just going to keep saving and wait until X-mas to buy a nice AK-47 for myself. this message is wife approved as well. ha

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Irowland1994
    Top Bottom