• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • leVieux

TSRA/NRA Life Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    <>

My situation was a semi-known dog charging from across a public street.

Urgent situations can deteriorate rapidly, I did keep background in focus.

Would it not be for the 8yo jumping back into my field of view, it would have been a dead dog. As the events took a good 10” between initial dog charge and Grannie hammering it, I had decided in my mind “This is getting worse quickly, I am going to have to shoot this dog.”.

After the kid withdrew the first time, the dog had been menacing in ever-tightening circles. When he reversed circling direction, I was unable to turn the bike backwards quickly enough to keep its “protection”, and dog came ever closer. I had to draw. My focus was on not letting dog get behind me.

It had been some 60 years since the last time I actually had to “draw” a weapon, and it was scary.

Twice as a Teen I had to use a nearby pistol to stop an incipient armed attack; last time was around 1959. In the cities, I have stopped assaults w/o actually drawing.

Luckiy I remembered to check what was behind. Neither the kid nor his Aunt was directly in line of fire, but near enough to make me hold fire. Then I noted Grannie with the BIG stick coming in from behind, on my left.

I spoke with another Aunt last night, everyone is OK, dog is contained. I still won’t go by there unless in my truck.

“All’s well which ends well. . . . “

leVieux
    ARJ Defense ad

bigtex10mm

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 1, 2021
    Fayette Co.

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    I am an animal lover and as I said in my post " if I had to would have no problem shooting one that would not retreat after other measures had failed to stop the attack."
    I am an animal lover and as I said in my post " if I had to would have no problem shooting one that would not retreat after other measures had failed to stop the attack."
    I'M JUST POSTING WHAT THE LAW SAYS HOW YOU PROCEED IS UP TO YOU

striker55

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 6, 2021
    Katy
    Two times a deputy told me I had a right to shoot, even the judge when I took the owners of the dog to court. My wife took a picture of me aiming my gun at the dog in my yard. As the judge was holding the picture in his hand, the owner of the dog said the dog was never in my yard. Why he didn't charge her with lying to the court I'll never know, but in the end I won.

Gordo

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 16, 2023
    San Antonio
    45 with an extended magazine.
    I have an AR45, that takes 30 rd. grease gun mags,
    does that count?

Really though, anything you have handy.
    Had a neighbor's Shepard chasing my grandfather's cows once, and I put it down with a .22 LR.
    The neighbor shot our Airedale with 12 g., at about 20 feet, when it was trying to tear a shed door off, to get at his female mutt,
    and our dog came running home, and lived. Though he never went after that mutt again.

cav2108541

TGT Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 22, 2023
    Killeen, TX
    <>

I bought some new nylon “fishing shirts” for the Summer, after my 55# weight loss. I noticed that the fabric in many newer ones is much thinner than the classics. My only other thought was that they’d be easier to pack for travel, maybe cooler.

Then, on Sunday, riding my bicycle in the neighborhood, I was approached by a young pit-bull terrier which I had passed a few times earlier. The dog was very aggressive, even “charged”, which was totally unexpected. I got off bike to prevent getting knocked off, keeping bike b/t me & dog.

As I had never seen this dog be aggressive before, I tried talking softly, dog got worse. Soon the 8 year old owner came out to retrieve dog, but got b/t me & dog; dog got more aggressive. Commotion drew 2 neighbor ladies out of homes. Dog kept circling menacingly; I kept turning bike to keep it b/t me & dog. Asked Lady to call 911, but she didn’t.

Finally I reached for pistol beneath outer shirttails. Windy, gusty day; couldn’t get good grip on gun as the flimsy shirt kept wrapping handle. I had never anticipated this problem. Once I was finally able to get a good grip, dog was some 3 feet, so I flipped retention strap & drew. As the dog closed in, I made the decision to shoot it. Then the 8 year old popped back up, creating a contraindication to firing.

Grandmother picked up a big tree limb from roadside trash and swung straight down, very forcefully onto dog’s head. Dog focused on me, never saw it coming and didn’t know what had happened. I thought for sure she had killed the dog, but he shook it off. Dog was sufficiently stunned by the blow that kid could drag him back, allowing me to escape.

Called the kid’s GrandPa, a retired Attorney; dog hasn’t been seen since.

Lessons: Beware of ALL Pit bulls. Check out all new clothing with mind on drawing.

Had lunch today w/ ATF son, who said they sew small fishing weights into bottom of shirt placard hems, so shirt can be flipped clear of holster with minimum effort.

I learned several new things, and hope you did, too.

leVieux
    I carry an ASP Baton, specifically for aggressive dogs while cycling with my wife. Pistol as well, as we ride rural back roads. Wouldn't want to have to shoot a dog, even an aggressive one, but the asp works very well an usually only need to extend it and point at the dog's face. I don't like aggressive dogs, and their owners are usually just as aggressive and obnoxious. Not going to be mauled by a dog though.

striker55

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 6, 2021
    Katy
    I carry an ASP Baton, specifically for aggressive dogs while cycling with my wife. Pistol as well, as we ride rural back roads. Wouldn't want to have to shoot a dog, even an aggressive one, but the asp works very well an usually only need to extend it and point at the dog's face. I don't like aggressive dogs, and their owners are usually just as aggressive and obnoxious. Not going to be mauled by a dog though.
    My buddy has an air horn that usually stops a dog.

Swedonia

TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 8, 2023
    Sweetwater, TX
    This thread brings up the point Rotor made a page or so back about age and bicycles. I'm 70, with four spinal fusions. I look at my mountain bike, then tell myself, Bill, if you take a fall at this stage in life, a fracture or fractures are extremely likely. :eek:
    The thing with pit bulls is that should one happen to be having a bad day, it comes equipped with the skull conformation, musculature and dentition to do havoc if the switch happens to get flipped. A guy up the street keeps three of them chained in his front yard. They are not "welcoming"; in fact, my postman won't deliver to that house.

leVieux

TSRA/NRA Life Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    This thread brings up the point Rotor made a page or so back about age and bicycles. I'm 70, with four spinal fusions. I look at my mountain bike, then tell myself, Bill, if you take a fall at this stage in life, a fracture or fractures are extremely likely. :eek:
    The thing with pit bulls is that should one happen to be having a bad day, it comes equipped with the skull conformation, musculature and dentition to do havoc if the switch happens to get flipped. A guy up the street keeps three of them chained in his front yard. They are not "welcoming"; in fact, my postman won't deliver to that house.
    <>

Normally, with “bad” dogs, I just take my 100# Lab for a walk nearby.

But even with a 40# weight advantage, I don’t want him tangling with a pit bull.

Some 50 years back, I had to shoot one of my expensive dogs, which attacked my best dog and was killing it. Took the Vet & another Doc some 3 hours to put my best dog back together.

Dog took four rounds of 12GA 3” Mag #5 shot before collapsing. It was an extremely upsetting event for us all. I hope to never ever have to shoot another dog; but am ready if I must.

leVieux

JandK

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 16, 2021
    Cherokee County
    HAVE YOU EVER BEEN CALLED NARROW-MINDED? IF NOT YOU NOW HAVE!
    YELL AT ME IN CAPS ALL YOU WANT LMFAO!
    We live in a country with freedom of speech and we all have a right to express our thoughts. Just like you have the right to call me narrow minded even though you know nothing about me.
    No not all pitbull owners are bad,there unfortunately is a large group of people who reflect a certain stereo type and own pitbulls. Also I live in a area where there is a few pitbull owners who let there dogs roam which are pitbulls. They have caused problems for the neighbors and killed a few lambs.
    Last incident the trailer trash neighbors breed of peace received a 45 acp 230 gr through its beautiful head for attacking neighbors poodle on my property. There is a frequent pattern seen in pitbulls and thier owners. But not all owners are degenerates white trash gang banger looking scum. Unfortunately a large group are . Pitbull fighting is a thing in my area sadly.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom