• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Texan-in-Training

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 8, 2012
    Rockdale, Texas
    I'm able to get good welds with the HF mig and my Honda 3100 EU generator... (no extension cord)
    The HF comes with a "gas" style nozzle which I swapped out for the gasless style. It allows me to get a little closer and get better penetration on heavier stuff like drill stem.
    DK Firearms

skfullgun

Dances With Snakes
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Oct 14, 2017
    In the woods...
    You are about 1 1/2 hrs from me, I live in the Longview area. Anyways, I have a Hobart 500502 205 stick welder. Like I said, it has not been used and still in the box. Here are the specs

I seriously appreciate the offer. I think I'm gonna go the 110v route so I can use it away from the house in conjunction with the generator.

Vaquero

Moving stuff to the gas prices thread.....
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 4, 2011
    Dixie Land
    20211025_154419.jpg
    20211025_154551.jpg
    just today.
    2 3/8" oil field pipe.

Vaquero

Moving stuff to the gas prices thread.....
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 4, 2011
    Dixie Land
    Please don't be mad at me, but that weld did not penetrate much. The only place you got penetration was in the center of the picture. It will be weak. You need to run hotter beads
    I didn't take a picture of the best weld bead.
    Besides, you couldn't beat those apart if you wanted to.
    I'm making the point that the machine is capable, in capable hands. That's the 1st arc I've struck in about 3 years.

TheDan

deplorable malcontent scofflaw
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    Drill pipe is a little too thick for that machine. It really runs best on 3/16 to 1/8 stock, but they claim it's good for 5/16. You could get away with thicker material by heavily beveling it and making a couple passes.

I have the previous model "90amp" (the blue one that's really only 80amps) and love it for use within it's capabilities. I have a decent tig machine that costs 9x what the HF spatter box did, but I use the HF one like 95% of the time. Like I said earlier my only gripe with the HF box is it's short duty cycle.

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    One of the features that should be looked at with a welder, is the duty cycle percentage. Most of the lesser expensive consumer grade welders are going to have a much lower, or shorter duty cycle. Commercial, or industrial grade welders will have higher, or longer duty cycles. But that comes at an expense when buying, and choosing a welder.

easy rider

Summer Slacker
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2015
    Odessa, Tx

pronstar

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 2, 2017
    Dallas
    If you read the articles out there about him, he's been doing it as his career for a long time, and he's very good. And as he said "I get the tight spaces, the big guys handle the big jobs"

Sounds like he’s found his niche…working in niches

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

easy rider

Summer Slacker
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2015
    Odessa, Tx
    If you read the articles out there about him, he's been doing it as his career for a long time, and he's very good. And as he said "I get the tight spaces, the big guys handle the big jobs"
    Yeah, I know he's been working for Bangor IMF a long time, PSNS is only about a half hour drive from Bangor. I couldn't tell you how many times I was sent out to Bangor from PSNS to work on submarines that are based there. Billy is in shop 26 (welders), as was I. My upper management bosses were his as well. When we were given a job in tight places, we would often say, "I wish little Billy was here".

skfullgun

Dances With Snakes
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Oct 14, 2017
    In the woods...
    Ok. I know where Bangor is located if we are talking about Maine. Is PSNS a railroad? Oh, perhaps a Naval Station...

I've got a brother that lives in Presque Isle and have flown into Bangor a couple of times.

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    LandenR
    Top Bottom