• ...and so much more!
  • Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    Rant on!

I keep seeing all of these commercials for all these new fangled safety features on cars. Like lane assist, or reactive braking if you get too close, and all sorts of warnings and reminders.

Would someone, anyone explain why such features are even needed on a vehicle? If you are paying attention to your driving, as a person should be, why would anyone really need them? I never has those features, and my father and grandfather never had them and they did just fine, by actually driving the vehicle and paying attention.

Personally, I think if you are so distracted from whatever, and need such features to drive a car, I don't think you have any business behind the wheel of a car in the first place.

I guess the next step is to make a car safe enough that a drunk driver can make it home safely?

Okay, rant off!
    Guns International

cvgunman

Not a Leftist douchebag!
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Oct 9, 2017
    Mckinney TX
    I heard on the radio there are even some that have cameras to watch your passengers while you drive as well as reminders to check for belongings (kids and pets) if you open a back door or hatch. Guess I'm like you, pay attention to driving, the rest can wait.
    Once wile with the wife, we were driving on a freeway, and she says "look at this picture of ??" Told her not while I'm driving, this is how accidents happen. As I say this, a truck in the next lane flips over and narrowly misses us. Let's just say she has never asked me to look at another picture while driving.

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Some safety features make good sense, and do make a vehicle safer. LIke ABS braking, or air bags, seatbelts and such. But many times, under normal driving conditions, and or unless there is an accident, they are passive safety features.

But, the name of the game is paying attention to your driving. Too many people are wrapped in their technology, that they need a vehicle to look after them and keep them safe.

If i'm driving, I won't even answer a cell phone. That's what voicemail if for!

General Zod

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2012
    Kaufman County
    Just look around while you're driving and you'll see why. People behind the wheel are oblivious to their surroundings, have their heads down staring at their phone screens, or are trying to do a dozen things other than driving the damn car. The more of those safety features they have, the less likely (hopefully) they are to blunder into you and me...but the more of those safety features they have, the more they feel like the car will do all the work of keeping them out of trouble instead of it being their responsibility...so it's a double edged sword.

Frankly, I don't even trust my back-up camera too much. All those other doo-dads would drive me nuts.

popsgarland

Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 24, 2011
    DFW area
    Lots of stupids driving around with their cell phones stuck to their heads or they have their eyes glued to them. And it's not just the youngsters, it's all age groups. They don't watch where their going or pay attention to what and who is next to them. These people need to be taking off the road not given new technology so they don't have to pay attention to where they are going.

I have hands free in my truck for my cell phone. I don't call out on it but when a call comes in a very sexy voice tells me I have a call and I just have to push a button on my steering wheel to answer. That is if I want to.

Oh and by the way, lots of people have run out of blinker fluid.

rotor

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 1, 2015
    Texas
    I traded up to a newer car just to get the smart car features. I have been driving for 61 years and have lived in many big cities with aggressive drivers but these new features are just wonderful. Especially the blind side mirrors, heads up displays, lane assist, all of the cameras, emergency braking, that warning about someone crossing behind you when you back up, etc. I have virtually no accidents, one speeding ticket when I was 17 and that's it but driving in Dallas I need all the "assistance" I can get. Actually, since the technology is available I don't see how the car companies can avoid lawsuits by not putting these features on their cars since they do save lives. Finally, if you don't like them, you can turn them off.

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Many years ago, one of my mechanics brought me a DVCR, (Drivers Vehicle Condition Report.) and asked me if I wanted a good laugh. I looked it over and just smiled. I knew the driver.

He stated on the DVCR, that he needed blinker fluid added, that one of them wasn't working on the front, so it much be low.

I asked my mechanic to top off the blinker fluid!

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    I traded up to a newer car just to get the smart car features. I have been driving for 61 years and have lived in many big cities with aggressive drivers but these new features are just wonderful. Especially the blind side mirrors, heads up displays, lane assist, all of the cameras, emergency braking, that warning about someone crossing behind you when you back up, etc. I have virtually no accidents, one speeding ticket when I was 17 and that's it but driving in Dallas I need all the "assistance" I can get. Actually, since the technology is available I don't see how the car companies can avoid lawsuits by not putting these features on their cars since they do save lives. Finally, if you don't like them, you can turn them off.

Drivers drove for many years without such features, and survived just fine. I drove in many large cities with lots of traffic, and never had one accident. and I never had these features.

Technology is great, if used in a responsible manner, but many of these people are relying upon technology to not take a responsible approach to driving.

orbitup

Sticker Cop
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Nov 6, 2010
    Waxyscratchy
    1601329667873.png

rotor

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 1, 2015
    Texas
    Drivers drove for many years without such features, and survived just fine. I drove in many large cities with lots of traffic, and never had one accident. and I never had these features.

Technology is great, if used in a responsible manner, but many of these people are relying upon technology to not take a responsible approach to driving.
    When a car is in your blind spot (you know why they call it blind spot?) having a warning that it is there when you can't see it is nice. Sure drivers get along without the tech. I bet you drive an automatic transmission considering that probably 90% wouldn't know how to use a stick shift. When that deer jumps in front of your car at night having a system that can react faster than a human to put the brakes on is nice. My last car had one of those self park deals which I never used, I know how to park but my wife liked it. I really like heads up display (so do the military jet pilots). Don't have to take my eyes off the road. There are just so many nice features now. I don't have little kids but my car will tell me if I left a baby in the back seat and locked the car. I don't need it but people kill their kids all the time. I can lock the car doors or unlock them with my phone, locate the car with my phone, cops can deactivate my car if stolen, I can start the car remotely. Windshield wipers turn on when window gets wet before I can reach for the knob.
    I also drive a 97 F150 that has nothing beyond seat belts, airbags. When we go on road trips though the new car with the features is what I want. I agree though about dependence. The Tesla autopilot thing. People are nuts to allow that much control of a car.

rotor

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 1, 2015
    Texas
    People who purchase a car because of the safety nannies should ride the bus instead.
    That is a pretty dumb statement. If you buy a new car without the safety features you are either poor or stupid. You don't make it to my age being stupid.

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    When a car is in your blind spot (you know why they call it blind spot?) having a warning that it is there when you can't see it is nice. Sure drivers get along without the tech. I bet you drive an automatic transmission considering that probably 90% wouldn't know how to use a stick shift. When that deer jumps in front of your car at night having a system that can react faster than a human to put the brakes on is nice. My last car had one of those self park deals which I never used, I know how to park but my wife liked it. I really like heads up display (so do the military jet pilots). Don't have to take my eyes off the road. There are just so many nice features now. I don't have little kids but my car will tell me if I left a baby in the back seat and locked the car. I don't need it but people kill their kids all the time. I can lock the car doors or unlock them with my phone, locate the car with my phone, cops can deactivate my car if stolen, I can start the car remotely. Windshield wipers turn on when window gets wet before I can reach for the knob.
    I also drive a 97 F150 that has nothing beyond seat belts, airbags. When we go on road trips though the new car with the features is what I want. I agree though about dependence. The Tesla autopilot thing. People are nuts to allow that much control of a car.

You'd be wrong on many accounts. I do know how to drive a manual, and took my driving test in one, because none of the vehicles we had at home when I learned to drive were automatics.

And I'll even counter if a parent is so stupid, or occupied not to notice a baby or child in the car, probably should be a parent in the first place!

I'm not saying all safety features are bad, but way too many people are putting too much reliance upon technology and not paying attention to their driving.

When you have worked a few automobile fatalities, that were the result of people not paying attention to their driving, it puts things into a different perspective. It did for me.

Brains

One of the idiots
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 9, 2013
    Spring
    That is a pretty dumb statement. If you buy a new car without the safety features you are either poor or stupid. You don't make it to my age being stupid.
    Sorry you don't like the statement, but it won't impact my net worth or my intelligence either way. I like to think I do well enough for myself and my family, thanks.

The more crutches, the worse the driver. People begin to rely on the car's "ability" to save them from themselves and their poor driving ability - or desire to drive. What's that song, Siri take the wheel? If you don't want to drive, take the bus.

At the very least, separate the freeway lanes by a skills-based driver's license. If you're a scared commuter, you stay in the right lane with your nannies and be electronically limited to posted limits. Test into the top tier license, you can run up to the limits of your vehicle and your ability in the left lane. Wreck in the right lane, or get caught driving in the left lane with the commuter tier? Limited to the bus for the next 5 years.

etmo

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 25, 2020
    Cedar Creek, Tx
    Would someone, anyone explain why such features are even needed on a vehicle? If you are paying attention to your driving, as a person should be, why would anyone really need them?

"Need" is a tough word to use. Depends on who gets to define it. Heck, you don't "need" a seatbelt, or headlights, or a windshield! But just to try:

1) because nobody is perfect -- even if you're paying attention, you can miss things that tech can potentially help out with.

2) because you're only human, sometimes things can happen too quickly for you to react. Anti-lock brakes are an excellent example of this, anti-lock brakes have saved many, many lives.

3) because it will save the insurance industry billions of dollars each year...ok, maybe too cynical, but true

4) Wherever we draw the line is arbitrary anyways. Does anyone complain about anti-lock brakes? Does anyone know how much tech is in the tires you drive every day? Those things are miracles compared to the tires of the 1970s - superior in every regard. What about windshield wipers? These are all tech features which save many lives, so why not allow more features which can save more lives?

Top Bottom