• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • acorneau

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 5, 2014
    Houston
    "Thieves got away with several pistols and rifles after a smash-and-grab robbery of a South Houston shooting range early Thursday, police said....

... Two young males drove a pickup truck into the side of the business, went in, and took assorted rifles and pistols at roughly 4 in the morning," said Capt. Eddie Martin with the South Houston Police Department."

http://www.chron.com/news/houston-t...on-shooting-range-10837303.php#photo-12141706
    Lynx Defense

V-Tach

Watching While the Sheep Graze
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 30, 2012
    Texas
    7 minute response will never catch the thieving bastages........

Security Companies must change the way they handle Gun Shop alarms.....

A.Texas.Yankee

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2012
    NTX
    A reputable alarm company would have notified authorities within 90 seconds of alarm. Response time usually falls onto law enforcement (location of cruisers, etc.). The old adage police show up after the fact is too true.

Sent from my LG-H830 using Tapatalk

V-Tach

Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 30, 2012
    Texas
    If wrong, please correct me.....

Typical entry alarm scenario:

Alarm triggered....30 second delay...time for the owner to disarm the system....if not disarmed it goes off....

1-2 minutes for the alarm company to call and ask for code word. if no answer or wrong code word....they call authorities....

Then response from law enforcement....

Bad guys are leaving or already gone by the time law enforcement is even notified....

IXLR8

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 19, 2009
    Republic of Texas
    The list of firearm thefts at the bottom of the article is the most complete list I have ever seen. It is worth a look, over 1000 pages!
    The list of locations is also an interesting browse.

I have never ever heard of the range before but the accompanying data is excellent.

shortround

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 24, 2011
    Grid 0409
    Interesting to look at the point of attack.

Cement Block.

Single row.

Truck makes a perfect entry hole.

No sign of re-bar set in the blocks, or any stand-off barrier.

Firearms were left in their display cases/racks.

In every high profile gun store burglary, this has been the case almost every time where the thieves by-pass the front doors. They gain access through the roof or bust through a wall.

If it is not possible for gun stores to put all their guns in a walk-in safe, then they should be smart enough to hire a Barney Fife and his partner Spot to watch over the premises until opening time.

Be well.

A.Texas.Yankee

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2012
    NTX
    If wrong, please correct me.....

Typical entry alarm scenario:

Alarm triggered....30 second delay...time for the owner to disarm the system....if not disarmed it goes off....

1-2 minutes for the alarm company to call and ask for code word. if no answer or wrong code word....they call authorities....

Then response from law enforcement....

Bad guys are leaving or already gone by the time law enforcement is even notified....
    Commercial alarm procedure is usually different, especially for "high risk" businesses. If business is properly set with alarm monitoring company, alarm would sound instantly (motion sensors would not initiate a delay, but immediately set off alarm), panel would "dial out" to monitoring station, phone call would be made within 60 seconds to primary contact on account (special instructions can be set up to contact police dispatch first before verification, but false alarm fees can be outrageous so it's not always done and some police jurisdictions do not allow this policy), then phone call would be made to police dispatch to notify of alarm, dispatch notifies officer and they respond. Most major alarm companies can accomplish their part within 90 seconds.

Interesting to look at the point of attack.

Cement Block.

Single row.

Truck makes a perfect entry hole.

No sign of re-bar set in the blocks, or any stand-off barrier.

Firearms were left in their display cases/racks.

In every high profile gun store burglary, this has been the case almost every time where the thieves by-pass the front doors. They gain access through the roof or bust through a wall.

If it is not possible for gun stores to put all their guns in a walk-in safe, then they should be smart enough to hire a Barney Fife and his partner Spot to watch over the premises until opening time.

Be well.

Walk in safes to accommodate most gun store inventories are outrageously expensive, as is hiring on site security. Cheaper to pay insurance deductible than invest that kind of moolah, unfortunately.

Sent from my LG-H830 using Tapatalk

V-Tach

Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 30, 2012
    Texas
    Our alarm is a no delay alarm and the police are notified before me. We have had 2 false alarms in 10 years. One of the benefits of living in a small town is the response time has been under 2 minutes......but still probably won't catch them in the act....

Charlie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    'Top of the hill, Kerr County!
    I screwed up the alarm at our office last week by hitting the wrong button on the keypad. 30 sec. later an audible alarm went off, 30 sec. later they called the office and asked me for a code word (which I either hadn't been given or forgot), told them my name and they said thanks. They then called the office manager and asked if I should be there and of course, he said yes. Seems a little loose in security to me, but, oh well. Not much to steal in there anyway.

grumper

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    Austin
    Crap. I liked going to that place too. The owner is a nice guy.

The crazy thing is that range/shop is literally about 200 yards from a police station.

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    That range has been there a long time. I shot my first CHL qualification there.

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas

Be well.

That isn't really a feasible solution for most businesses.

Hoji

Bowling-Pin Commando
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Mustang Ridge
    quote_icon.png
    Originally Posted by shortround

Want to know how I know that you have never priced either?

Top Bottom