Smith&Wesson 40VE

Discussion in 'Handguns' started by tedwitt, Dec 12, 2009.

1. tedwitt

tedwitt New Member

Apr 26, 2009
    Magnolia, Texas
    I would like some opinions on this weapon. :gotme:

Just bought it at Academy yesterday on sale for $299.99 with $50.00 rebate or two spare mags. I priced the mags at $41.00 each, so I opted for the mags.

I think the sale runs through today.

2. rsayloriii

rsayloriii TGT Addict

May 11, 2009
    H-Town, TX
    I've got the 9ve. I like it. Seems like they get a bad rap because of the early models. Never had a problem with mine. Fires every single time I pull the trigger. No jams nothing. Trigger pull is a little heavy for some, but you get used to it. I'd buy it again without hesitation.

3. smittyb

smittyb Active Member

Nov 12, 2009
    Cut N Shoot
    That about sums it up.

4. tedwitt

tedwitt New Member

Apr 26, 2009
    Magnolia, Texas
    The two things I don't like is the no safety and no hammer, that will take some getting used to.

5. rsayloriii

rsayloriii TGT Addict

May 11, 2009
    H-Town, TX
    Your "safety" is the trigger, per say. It's a 2 piece trigger that has to be pressed right in order to fire. If you pull only on the upper portion, there's a tang that catches and won't let the trigger fully depress.

And the whole thing behind "no safety" "no hammer" ... Glocks have been having that go on for a while and people buy them all the time.

6. Texas1911

Texas1911 TGT Addict

May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    The thing is, if you are a safe shooter, then you will be safe with this gun. All the gun will do is make you a safer shooter because you will rely upon the golden rules rather than physical safeties. Most Glock owners, myself included, know to stay out of the trigger guard.

7. Texas Bulldog

Texas Bulldog Active Member

Sep 6, 2009
    San Antonio, Tx
    Very glock like, even shares some parts with Glock... the first generation wasn't so hot but the newer ones are a darn good gun for a heck of a price!... I own 3 now, sold 1.. but they are my "House" guns placed around for easy access incase of emergency. 1 is also in my Bug out bag

Mine have been bullet proof through thousands of rounds... the trigger cleans up nicely and there is a free trigger job on Youtube that works very well... if the trigger REALLY bothers you, Smith and wesson will do a job on it for free and send it back to you within a week turn around. But 1 of mine was done through SW one was by me... the feel identical.

JOe

8. 30+GSXR

30+GSXR Active Member

Dec 2, 2008
    at that price w/ the xtra mags, I shoulda picked up one.

9. Texas1911

Texas1911 TGT Addict

May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    Moved to Handguns.

Their triggers suck, but for the price I don't expect perfection.

10. Stangfan93

Stangfan93 Member

Apr 29, 2009
    Houston/Pasadena
    plain and simple trigger sucks and have never had mine jam in all of 3k rounds