• robertc1024

Staff member
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 22, 2013
    San Marcos
    Now this should be the discussion. "What kind of wood do you use on your brisket?"

I use a base of oak, but like to use pecan and mesquite for flavor. All mesquite was a bit too much IMO, and it was harder to control the temp, but adding mesquite to the oak was near perfection, and I also like the flavor adding a little green pecan.
    I have three piles of wood for my fire needs. Split, dried hardwood for the fireplace, probably a half cord of oak that's been drying for a couple of years, and the bbq wood pile. That one is pecan, mesquite, and post oak. I mix them up when doing the que. I don't like live oak - too resinous. Mesquite burns so hot, I really have to watch my temps with it.

easy rider

Summer Slacker
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2015
    Odessa, Tx
    I have three piles of wood for my fire needs. Split, dried hardwood for the fireplace, probably a half cord of oak that's been drying for a couple of years, and the bbq wood pile. That one is pecan, mesquite, and post oak. I mix them up when doing the que. I don't like live oak - too resinous. Mesquite burns so hot, I really have to watch my temps with it.
    So the the BBQ is at your place?

servis

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 7, 2016
    Denton County
    Smoked. Pecan mostly.
    Brisket, chicken, ribs, pork loin, fish, ham, turkey, onion, jalapeno, taters, prime rib or anything else I can get in the pit.
    Chicken carcass is cooked down for a smoky stock (soups, chili, beans)
    We make potato salad with those smoked taters. About half boiled and half smoked.
    Onions and jalapenos in everything.
    Smoke goes with almost everything.

easy rider

Summer Slacker
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2015
    Odessa, Tx
    Smoke goes with almost everything.
    https%3A%2F%2Fs3-us-west-2.amazonaws.jpg

Attachments

• https%3A%2F%2Fs3-us-west-2.amazonaws.jpg
      https%3A%2F%2Fs3-us-west-2.amazonaws.jpg
      10.6 KB · Views: 226

Mowingmaniac 24/7

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2015
    Smoked.

I saw Cheech and Chong perform live in a small nightclub in Houston back in the 70's.

They were terrifically funny!

At that point, the only thing out to the public at large by them was a record album where they did the comedy routine of: Dave? Dave? Dave's not here......

oldag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 19, 2015
    Smoked.

I saw Cheech and Chong perform live in a small nightclub in Houston back in the 70's.

They were terrifically funny!

At that point, the only thing out to the public at large by them was a record album where they did the comedy routine of: Dave? Dave? Dave's not here......

Remember "Earache my eye"

BillFairbanks

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2017
    Johnson County, TX
    Brisket needs to cook low and slow to render the fat and tenderize the meat.

I generally only cook steak and hamburgers on direct heat.

Pecan and Apple are my two favorite woods

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mowingmaniac 24/7

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2015
    oldag,

Thanks for the C & C memories - now I'm channeling Bob Hope, a stage name for Leslie Townes Hope which reminds of John Wayne whose real name was Marion Mitchell Morrison.

Leslie and Marion, yikes!

stdreb27

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 12, 2011
    Corpus christi
    Well depends on the definition for grilling. The bohunks in S. Texas are experts at slow direct grilling over mesquite coal using big direct cooking pits usually made out of big wore out butane tanks. That is some stuff to die for. Now some yankee clowning around with a Walmart grill using Kingsford briquettes in the backyard aint gonna cut it. An offset creosote facotry stick burner would be better than that.

Still smoked.

TexasRedneck

1911 Nut
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    New Braunfels, TX
    Who the hell does BRISKET?!?? You fellers need to learn two words:

"Shoulder Clod"

Looks VERY similar to brisket, cooks the same - but the texture is far superior, and the fat content is MUCH lower - so your cooking weight loss is a ton less, yet there's plenty of fat there for the meat. MOST meat counters have it - if not, you need to shop elsewhere. Buddy of mine turned me onto it about 30 years ago, about the time that they started leaving ALL the fat on brisket - to the point that you could hold a chilled brisket straight out by the flat because of all the fat in it. Was talking about it with a butcher-shop buddy of mine, who turned me on to the shoulder clod.
    Wrapping.jpg

Attachments

• Wrapping.jpg
      Wrapping.jpg
      69.6 KB · Views: 260

TexasPatriot1916

Active-Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 14, 2018
    Dallas
    Who the hell does BRISKET?!?? You fellers need to learn two words:

"Shoulder Clod"

Looks VERY similar to brisket, cooks the same - but the texture is far superior, and the fat content is MUCH lower - so your cooking weight loss is a ton less, yet there's plenty of fat there for the meat. MOST meat counters have it - if not, you need to shop elsewhere. Buddy of mine turned me onto it about 30 years ago, about the time that they started leaving ALL the fat on brisket - to the point that you could hold a chilled brisket straight out by the flat because of all the fat in it. Was talking about it with a butcher-shop buddy of mine, who turned me on to the shoulder clod.
    View attachment 162085
    Is that Marinated in Brown Sugar or Seasoning ?

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Josephn58333
    Top Bottom