• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • baboon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Out here by the lake!
    YOU CAN ACTUALLY COOK A BRISKET IN THE OVEN ,YOU JUST DON'T GETTHE SMOKE FLAVOR!
    They make liquid smoke & you can fake a smoke ring. I actually did lots of briskets in the oven.
    12 ounce Coke
    Bottle of Heinz Chili sauce
    White onion diced fine
    Fresh Garlic to taste
    1 bunch of Cilantro chopped
    Set oven at 350 mix all the ingredients together, Place brisket fat did down & pour the mix over top. Cover with lid or foil tightly. Cook 3-4 hours until tender. Remove all the pan liquids and put in a sauce pan to reduce. Put brisket back in over without a lid turning ever 15 minutes. Cook down the liquid in sauce pan until thick. Add your favorite bbq sauce to that and cover brisket with sauce with ever flip. Cook until 225 degrees. Let rest covered until serving.

My former idiot father in law thought it had a smoke ring from the sauce penetrating into the meat.
    Lynx Defense

Whistler

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 28, 2014
    Northeast Texas
    In my opinion don't smoke a brisket fat side up, there's plenty of juicy fat in the deckle and point. Smoking it fat side down helps to keep from ending up with one of the little black meteorites I see people trying to pass off. It also acts as a barrier to keep the otherwise lost juices from running out the unprotected side facing down.

Bigguy

TGT Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 29, 2024
    Texarkana
    This doesn't count as smoking, but it is a good way to cook one. Friends an family raved about it. It's a shame I haven't done one this way in years. I just don't cook as much anymore.

I'd put it on the grill in aluminum foil. I soak it with a mixture of Coke-a-cola, Soy Sauce, and a couple of seasonings I don't remember now. Wrap it up completely with foil. Put grill on lowest setting and cook for 6 hours. If you time it right, the liquid will have steamed out and it will have a black crust. It will look like a briquet, but it tastes great. That black coating isn't ash, it's what the Coke and Soy Sauce have turned into. It's thinner than a layer of paint.

Inside will be moist, tasty, and tender. You can cut it with a fork. While it takes 6 hours, it doesn't really take a lot of work. Five minutes prep time, then waiting as it cooks. I sliced it and made sandwiches.

Last edited:

Havok1

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 10, 2021
    US
    I’ve done briskets fat side up and down. Only difference I’ve noticed is sometimes it will stick to the grates a little with fat down. Otherwise, end product tasted the same. I favor fat up, but like so many other things, it won’t make or break the brisket. No harm in just trying both ways.

sucker76

Don't let the username fool you
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 15, 2015
    Lake Jackson
    For fat up or fat down it matters where the heat is coming from most pellet grills that look like offsets the heat comes from the bottom. The fat down will keep the meat from becoming too crispy over a long cook. My big offset the heat comes from the top so I cook fat side up. I also think it benefits from the fat rendering and dripping through the meat as opposed to dripping away from the meat.
    Coarse salt and coarse black pepper and garlic powder is all I use. Coat heavily. In the stall where the temps stop rising I wrap in butcher paper with hefty glops of wagu beef talow and put back on until 195-203 and when it probes tender. I'm now a fan of a very long rest. I have rested between 1 and 12 hours to see what works. Less than 4 you are missing some juiciness and over 8 is a waste of time. A long rest also helps me get a nap before whatever function had me cook a brisket.

Texan79423

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 7, 2021
    Flatlands
    For me the pleasure is being outside on the deck enjoying the company of my dogs, some beer, and some tunes. Just relaxing enjoying life.
    bbq.jpg
    drinking buddy.jpg

Top Bottom