Smoking in foil pan or not?

F350-6

TGT Addict
Lifetime Member
May 25, 2009
The problem is there just doesn't seem to be any cheaper briskets anymore. They have become so popular and so many people are doing briskets, that prices have just gone through the roof.
That actually has to do with the whole covid mess right now. Meatpacking plants went through a bunch of shut downs because you can't really social distance there. Supply dropped really low, and prices went sky high.

The flip side is all the feed yards are overstocked and the auction houses are paying bottom dollar for cattle at the moment because the feed yards can't take any more. It's a big bottleneck.

So find a local rancher or butcher and find a great deal on grass fed prime beef, or wait till the supply catches up and prices drop at the grocery store.

Axxe55

Trophy Husband. Just Ask My Wife!
Dec 15, 2019
Somewhere....In Texas!
That actually has to do with the whole covid mess right now. Meatpacking plants went through a bunch of shut downs because you can't really social distance there. Supply dropped really low, and prices went sky high.

The flip side is all the feed yards are overstocked and the auction houses are paying bottom dollar for cattle at the moment because the feed yards can't take any more. It's a big bottleneck.

So find a local rancher or butcher and find a great deal on grass fed prime beef, or wait till the supply catches up and prices drop at the grocery store.
I understand that, and I agree that is probably part of the problem, but I saw pricing on briskets getting higher and higher a few years ago, before this silly Covid nonsense hit. I do agree that the Covid nonsense has probably driven the prices even higher for the reasons you mention.

My two previous briskets came from a young bull my brother had butchered a few months ago. They were good briskets, but were much smaller than the ones we just bought, plus they were very lean briskets.

cajunautoxer

Well-Known
Sep 8, 2008
Houston
I'm kinda a amateur at smoking. I will set my brisket on grill until it hits the stall. I will wrap in butcher paper and finish off. I usually buy prime grade. Now I know a person that cooks competition and she says instead of paper she puts in pan and foils top. I may try it and see how it goes. Now for butts I will smoke on grill until stall and then put them in pan and tent to save liquid

Sent from my SM-N986U1 using Tapatalk

Axxe55

Trophy Husband. Just Ask My Wife!
Dec 15, 2019
Somewhere....In Texas!
I'm kinda a amateur at smoking. I will set my brisket on grill until it hits the stall. I will wrap in butcher paper and finish off. I usually buy prime grade. Now I know a person that cooks competition and she says instead of paper she puts in pan and foils top. I may try it and see how it goes. Now for butts I will smoke on grill until stall and then put them in pan and tent to save liquid

Sent from my SM-N986U1 using Tapatalk
Honestly I have seen briskets cooked in many different ways. Most all have been very good briskets.

Some factors I believe are more important for getting a good brisket than some of the finer details.

Starting with a decent brisket with a good amount of fat. A decent rub. IMO, and personal preference, I like a very simple rub, relying upon the smoke to help add to the flavor of the meat. But, I don't like the smoke to overwhelm, or overpower the meat either. Using milder woods to me seems to help here IMO. I personally have a preference for pecan and mesquite wood for my smoker with some post oak as well. Low and slow with the heat is also a key factor. I like a long time at under 250 degree, and about about 225 as the optimum temperature.

I like to smoke my brisket on each side for an hour on eash side, then pull the brisket and wrap in foil, then back on the smoker for about another 10 to 12 hours. For my next brisket, I'd like to try using the butcher paper instead of the foil. I know a friend that uses it and he gets great results with his briskets.

Sponsors

Greeneye Tactical
Texas Gun Forum Ad
silencers
third coast
Ranier
Tyrant Designs
DK Firearms

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members