• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • billtool

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 16, 2008
    The Wooldlands
    So while moving around some Azalais, I was wheeling the plant and root ball toward it's new home. Wrestled one plant out of the wheelbarrow and went to pick up the other and felt a noticeable "whack" on my left hand finger area. Enough to make me jump back and find the need to clean my drawers. A real deal Copperhead struck and bit me on my gloved hand. Thankfully these were quality and thick leather gloves. The better luck part is the snake bit the seam on the left ring finger - so the material was essentially doubled. Buying a lottery ticket tomorrow. An old friend lost her finger as a result of a Copperhead bite. I really have a thing about checking out of this life with all 21 appendages attached.

IMG_4295.JPG
    IMG_4296.JPG
    Gun Zone Deals

Hoji

Bowling-Pin Commando
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Mustang Ridge
    Glad your last line of defense worked for you. Good tread.

Most of y’all know my personal opinion on snakes, venomous or otherwise.

Y’all also know my second chance policy on most venomous snakes on my property.

I have sent a few to the afterlife that have come back to the fenced area with marking paint on their rattles.

The snake in the OP chose poorly, the OP chose well.

busykngt

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 14, 2011
    McKinney
    Yeah.... I'd get that lotto ticket fer shore...
    Lucky you!
    Copperhead bites are rarely fatal however incredibly painful and yep, amputation certainly not unheard of!
    I've killed three around my place within the last three or four years. Two on the back porch and one on the front porch. We don't just run outside without watching where we're stepping!

Last edited:

lonestardiver

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 12, 2010
    Eagle Mountain Lake area
    The best treatment of a venomous snake bite here in the US is to elevate the extremity that was bitten... this is to reduce swelling that will come with an envenomation. 45-60 degrees at a minimum. Then seek an ER. The treatment for copperhead, cottonmouth, and rattlesnake is the same. Coral snakes require a different treatment and the anti venom is not as common.

Good thing you had your gloves on.

cycleguy2300

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Austin, Texas
    The best treatment of a venomous snake bite here in the US is to elevate the extremity that was bitten... this is to reduce swelling that will come with an envenomation. 45-60 degrees at a minimum. Then seek an ER. The treatment for copperhead, cottonmouth, and rattlesnake is the same. Coral snakes require a different treatment and the anti venom is not as common.

Good thing you had your gloves on.
    Fortunately copperheads and cottonmouths are fairly low lethality snakes (both are in the same genus) and copperheads are pretty docile as are Coral snakes.

Western diamondbacks (C. atrox) are bad news. Complex venom in big doses, and they do not back down.

My dad was bit (envenomated) on his lower leg last year (or year before). The ER didnt even give him anti-venom, they pretty much said "yup, snake bite" see ya and he was out within an hour. He had lots of swelling and bruising.

Around my house they die (except coral snakes because they are so cool, but the get relocated), but in the woods I let them be as best I can but I about peed myself 18m ago when I ran over 2 diamondbacks on a night time MTB ride in the space of a half mile. Talk about the heebeejeebees!

Sent from your mom's house using Tapatalk

lonestardiver

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 12, 2010
    Eagle Mountain Lake area
    The feral cats that make in into our backyard at night usually don’t make it out. Our dogs do not like other animals in their territory.
    Heck the stupid moles don’t live long. The dogs have gotten lazy and now wait for them to come up to the surface....but I have found holes dug by the dogs at time to be hip deep in order to catch the moles. The dogs display the mole presents for us near the back door. The other critters are left where they are dispatched.

Top Bottom