• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • popsgarland

Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 24, 2011
    DFW area
    We have opossums and raccoons that hang around our house and the trees behind us. I've seen the opossums eat snakes but not the raccoons.
    Texas SOT

kbaxter60

"Gig 'Em!"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 23, 2019
    Pipe Creek
    Years ago in a different life, I bought a couple dozen chicks and the coyotes ate ‘em all. Thought they’d roost in the trees after they grew. Expensive lesson.
    i hear ya. I thought it'd be easy. Let em out in the morning, throw em some scratch, make sure they have water, tuck em in at night.
    Nope.
    Between predators, parasites, and disease, say goodbye to half your flock each year.
    We now have treatments for lice/mites, wormers, and a host of other supplements, including vitamins. Oh, and diatomaceous earth and molasses. I would hate to calculate what a dozen eggs costs us, but there may be some actual savings...

satx78247

Member, Emeritus
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2014
    I caught one in a glue traps by the garage door. It was still writhing and turning toward me to try and strike when I dropped a cinder block on it. Thanks to the glue traps it all stuck to the block. Dropped the whole block in the trash.

Sent from my moto e6 using Tapatalk

mad88minute,

FYI, by far the BIGGEST Rattler that I've ever seen was caught on a glue trap that was set-out to catch rats at the Ft Stockton Museum.

About 5.5 feet long & as big around as the calf of my leg in the middle.= OBVIOUSLY the rattler was very well fed.
    (The building custodian killed it with a hoe & later that night it got cooked with home-fried potatoes, pinto beans, onions/tomato slices & cornbread fritters. = GREAT Supper was the rattle-tail.)

Note: To me, "chicken-fried" rattlesnake tastes quite like catfish.

yours, satx

MacZC7

Well-Known
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 11, 2020
    Texas
    i hear ya. I thought it'd be easy. Let em out in the morning, throw em some scratch, make sure they have water, tuck em in at night.
    Nope.
    Between predators, parasites, and disease, say goodbye to half your flock each year.
    We now have treatments for lice/mites, wormers, and a host of other supplements, including vitamins. Oh, and diatomaceous earth and molasses. I would hate to calculate what a dozen eggs costs us, but there may be some actual savings...
    We need a chicken thread on TGT. I’m sure ZRCAM69 can verify if there is one already...
    I have 120 hens but not free range.

kbaxter60

"Gig 'Em!"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 23, 2019
    Pipe Creek
    Well, can't help ya with that one.
    1603143066120.png

billtool

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 16, 2008
    The Wooldlands
    Nope.
    Hehehehe- I watched my danged mutt lean down and crunch more than a couple. Fun and expensive memories. I bet you don’t want to know what you have invested on average in each guinea. Ahhh...country livin’!

satx78247

Member, Emeritus
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2014
    Hehehehe- I watched my danged mutt lean down and crunch more than a couple. Fun and expensive memories. I bet you don’t want to know what you have invested on average in each guinea. Ahhh...country livin’!

billtool,

Once they are grown-up, Keets make the BEST "watchdogs" of all. = We have 2 pairs that were hatched on our farm,, stay in the trees much of the time at night & NO STRANGERS, whether 2-footed or 4-footed, are missed by the guineas. = The Keets "sound the alarm" really well.

yours, satx

billtool

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 16, 2008
    The Wooldlands
    Figured y'all would get a kick out of the security footage of yesterday's snake bite extravaganza. Especially the 280lb guy laughing like a 7 year old girl part... Around the 50 second mark. Apologies - the file is too large to post directly.

Vaquero

Moving stuff to the gas prices thread.....
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 4, 2011
    Dixie Land

That wore me out.

Texasjack

TGT Addict
    Rating - 50%
    1   1   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Occupied Texas
    Stepped on a copperhead once while squirrel hunting. I knew there were a lot of snakes in the area and I was looking directly at this one when I stepped on him. When they're laying on dry oak leaves, they match the background perfectly. This snake went to his Maker in many pieces, thanks to several close-range 12 gauge shots. After I calmed down, I looked around the area and sure enough about 10 feet away was another copperhead. I've always heard they hang out in pairs, and that's been my observation. This one struck at my boot, but he didn't have a good angle and they were thick leather, so I escaped unharmed. I know a couple of people who got bit by a copperhead and the results were pretty miserable.

I don't have anything against snakes - they perform a valuable function in the balance of nature. However, I do not share space with them. One of us has to go.

oldag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 19, 2015
    Figured y'all would get a kick out of the security footage of yesterday's snake bite extravaganza. Especially the 280lb guy laughing like a 7 year old girl part... Around the 50 second mark. Apologies - the file is too large to post directly.

You should have included the part where you got the flamethrower...

Top Bottom