• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Hobie Dog

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 24, 2008
    San Marcos, Texas
    I'm doing a lot of walking in the woods and on raw ground in SW Texas. I've been carrying a .357. First two rounds are snake shot, then regular rounds. I know the snake shot will do fine on small snakes. Been there, done that. Has anyone used them on a larger snake? Would they be effective?

Thanks. HD
    Guns International

General Zod

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2012
    Kaufman County
    Snake shot may not work on a snake like this one...

conan_06.jpg

So you should always have a sword and a sidekick with a bow and arrow nearby.

dbgun

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 17, 2008
    Houston, TX.
    I use to hunt East Texas and would come across a few big water Maccosin's that didn't run off. I shot them w/CCI, 22WMR shotshell. Only took one shot per snake. Can't miss from 5 yards away.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    I won't use the .22lr shot shells anymore. Shot a snake that was stuck in the water trough with it from about 5 feet. Got suspicious cause I couldn't see any injuries so I drug it out with a stick and waited. Few minutes later it started moving again.

Been keeping my eyes peeled for some .38 or .357 shot shells though. Haven't found it yet and don't want to order it online.

IXLR8

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 19, 2009
    Republic of Texas
    What calibers are available as shot shells?
    Is it ok to shoot .22 shot shells out of say a 10/22 or a Ruger Mark III? Does it load, and the action cycle properly, or are these for wheel guns only?

shortround

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 24, 2011
    Grid 0409
    I lost my enthusiasm for pistol caliber "snake shot" after a few encounters with pit vipers -- copperheads, rattlers, and cotton mouths.

The first shot pisses them off, then, if they don't come after you (like some will), you still tend to back pedal and trip over something behind you.

.410 is good snake medicine.

An interesting phenomenon happens after you kill one: Hang it on a fence, and within minutes the mouth will be swarmed by yellow-jacket wasps -- until the buzzards swoop in for a free meal.

Vaquero

Moving stuff to the gas prices thread.....
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 4, 2011
    Dixie Land
    I've yet to encounter one that I couldn't seperate the head from with a .38 shot shell.

shortround

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 24, 2011
    Grid 0409
    Good for you. I have not got the pistol/revolver scatter shot skills you do. Once I picked up the single shot .410 Pardner, snakes no longer give me pause.

Cats are pretty good snake killers too!

Vaquero

Moving stuff to the gas prices thread.....
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 4, 2011
    Dixie Land
    Good for you. I have not got the pistol/revolver scatter shot skills you do. Once I picked up the single shot .410 Pardner, snakes no longer give me pause.

Cats are pretty good snake killers too!

10-4 on the cats. Really awesome to watch a cat after a snake.

Hobie Dog

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 24, 2008
    San Marcos, Texas
    The last snake I killed was a coral snake. Had just walked over it in flip flops in the yard. After I recovered and cleaned out my shorts I went back with a shovel. They can move really fast. A neighbor got struck by one the next day walking through her garage. Nasty critters.

dee

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 22, 2008
    Red River Way
    I just use a plain 22 long rifle or whatever other pistol I have at the time. I do have some 38 shot shell that were loaded over 20 year's ago that would likely work but have never tried.

Glockster69

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 1, 2011
    I've used .38 snake shot to take armadillo, been so long I can't remember if 1 or 2 rnds but it was point blank range.

On a side note: did you know them little thangs can jump 2' straight up? :laughing:

Stumpy

Landman/Presbyterian
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 4, 2009
    Slaton, TX
    I've killed more rattle snakes with .22LR 40 gr lead round nose than I can count. One shot to the head. Done.
    Cheaper and easier to find than "snake/rat shot".

A .243 works pretty good as well :P

Top Bottom