• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Hoji

Bowling-Pin Commando
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Mustang Ridge
    I really haven't seen that many poisonous snakes in Texas in my 37 years of being here. Seen a few dogs that got bit & even shot a few snakes. After all this aint Africa! Thats were I seen some MOFO snakes, both poisonous & non. Stopped stalking eland to track a rock pythons that's track that was as wide as my thigh.
    You haven’t seen any poisonous snakes in Texas. ;)
    Texas SOT

kbaxter60

"Gig 'Em!"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 23, 2019
    Pipe Creek
    they’re crazy looking.
    Yes, they are. Farking HUGE. My wildlife book says they run 6 to 9 inches. I swear we have a 12-incher living out back of our house. This is not my picture, but this is the dude:
    OIP.jpg

Attachments

• OIP.jpg
      OIP.jpg
      25.5 KB · Views: 451

oldag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 19, 2015
    View attachment 211147 These fuzzy little fuckers are horrible.
    Worst pain I have ever experienced.
    Asp caterpillar. Less than 1/2” long. Working in back yard I felt a bug of some kind crawling on my neck. Swatted it. Instantaneous blinding pain. Dropped to my knees and curled up on the ground in fetal position. Could not move for almost 10 minutes. Dogs were in freak out mode seeing me like that.
    Hurt for days.
    Asps are bad about getting in live oaks.

Recall seeing them frequently growing up. Very seldom any more, thankfully.

oldag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 19, 2015
    I really haven't seen that many poisonous snakes in Texas in my 37 years of being here. Seen a few dogs that got bit & even shot a few snakes. After all this aint Africa! Thats were I seen some MOFO snakes, both poisonous & non. Stopped stalking eland to track a rock pythons that's track that was as wide as my thigh.
    Had more close calls with copperheads than I like to think about. Seen plenty of cottonmouths, moccasins, diamondbacks. The occasional timber rattler.

candcallen

Crotchety, Snarky, Truthful. You'll get over it.
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 23, 2011
    Little Elm
    I dont know how many rattlesnakes I've seen hunting in AZ. Never heard 1 rattle. Saw most as I was watching where I stepped or reached. A rule most folks learn as kids in the outdoors.

I've seen Gila Monsters a few times. In the wild that's a rare privilege.

Shot one rattle snake in 40 years of hunting in AZ. I took a break from rabbit hunting and sat on a palo verde tree that died and fell over. Looked all around before I sat as they can almost dissapeared in shadows n such.

After about 2 minutes a small diamond back, about 2 feet but fat and big enough, was about 10 feet from me that I didn't see started moving right towards me.

This is early spring cause you dont hunt rabbits in the summer in the desert. Besides being nasty hot the meat is nasty. Anyways that bastard was moving fast for how cool it was and by the time it clicked in my brain what was happening I couldn't get up without falling back over the log and decided being face to face wasn't the best course of action so i grabbed my old JC Higgins 12 gage reached out and he got a face full of 6 shot mag at about 6 inches. Never found any remnants of the head but I assume it couldn't see well and was headed for a heat source.

Oh, I had one incident where I damn near shit my self. I had a job as a security guard for thus resort manufactured home community which was a few miles north in the desert from phoenix. I was sitting in the gate shack one day and felt something on my foot. I looked down and all I saw was bright red black and yellow bands slithering across my foot. I froze and it took my brain a few seconds to process that 1 this is too big for a coral snake, 2 the old red n black saying meant further proof it's not a coral snake...although that's not always true cause a couple coral snakes are only red n black with no yellow..., and 3 it's not headed up your leg so let it go.

Talk about an adrenalin rush.

Snakes are perfectly fine as long as they aren't in my space, and I determine what's my space.

CodyK

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 5, 2019
    Houston
    I guess some of y’all really wouldn’t like my roommates! I have 9 of them. I keep several ball pythons, a Burmese python, a reticulated python, and a boa constrictor.

98db1a3605586ffc96f0ca25060f70a3.jpg

This one shoots back!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Attachments

• 98db1a3605586ffc96f0ca25060f70a3.jpg
      98db1a3605586ffc96f0ca25060f70a3.jpg
      84.4 KB · Views: 479

kbaxter60

"Gig 'Em!"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 23, 2019
    Pipe Creek
    I guess some of y’all really wouldn’t like my roommates! I have 9 of them. I keep several ball pythons, a Burmese python, a reticulated python, and a boa constrictor.

View attachment 211339

This one shoots back!
    Some of us would be just fine with it. Ball Pythons make great reptile companions. My daughter has several, also. One was a "rescue" we drove across town to get from some kids that were not caring for it. He is now at least six years old.

Top Bottom