• Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • candcallen

Crotchety, Snarky, Truthful. You'll get over it.
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 23, 2011
    Little Elm
    My personal choice for anything that slithers on the ground is some .410 love

View attachment 205806
    I prefer to either vaporize or launch the bastards. 3 inch 12 gage in bird buck or slug depending on the background snake and other considerations.

Seriously though shotguns are a good rattle snake defense device. They like to curl up and not leave camp or areas I claim. I tell them they can leave vertically or horizontally but it must confuse them so they just sit there. So they leave vertically, in pieces usually as I carry their carcasses out and launch the head off a shovel or machete. My experience is hunting n camping in AZ. Haven't seen too many snakes here except some of the trails around the lake. Right now the lakes are high so I expect to see some more often.

These guys hunting pythons in Florida should be using guns not their hands. They don't have to be alive for the bounty and they just kill them anyways. I guess they get additional money from the parts.

satx78247

Member, Emeritus
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2014
    I prefer to either vaporize or launch the bastards. 3 inch 12 gage in bird buck or slug depending on the background snake and other considerations.

Seriously though shotguns are a good rattle snake defense device. They like to curl up and not leave camp or areas I claim. I tell them they can leave vertically or horizontally but it must confuse them so they just sit there. So they leave vertically, in pieces usually as I carry their carcasses out and launch the head off a shovel or machete. My experience is hunting n camping in AZ. Haven't seen too many snakes here except some of the trails around the lake. Right now the lakes are high so I expect to see some more often.

These guys hunting pythons in Florida should be using guns not their hands. They don't have to be alive for the bounty and they just kill them anyways. I guess they get additional money from the parts.

candcallen,

Maybe the python hunters are eating the snakes after they collect the bounty??
    (Python is tasty, especially if you don't know what you are eating. = CHUCKLE.)

yours, satx

cvgunman

Not a Leftist douchebag!
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Oct 9, 2017
    Mckinney TX
    I use a 22 myself, head shot plus a double tap and then throw it over a cross fence for the buzzards or ants. Got one last Sunday
    Was thinking about putting the ol' Ruger single ten to use for them. What snake shot do you prefer? I have the CCI, but am thinking the Federal with the crimped front may be better?

candcallen

Crotchety, Snarky, Truthful. You'll get over it.
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 23, 2011
    Little Elm
    candcallen,

Maybe the python hunters are eating the snakes after they collect the bounty??
    (Python is tasty, especially if you don't know what you are eating. = CHUCKLE.)

yours, satx

Those swap people eat some funky shit. But I've never seen a Malnourished one in the lean times so who am I to argue. The gravy fixes everything they say.

I have a feeling a lot of people will find stuff tasty in the near future as long as they dont ask "whats in the pot ma?" Or "where did my pet gecko go"?

ETA, forgive all my typos, i fix em as soon as possible. I've got a new phone and we are disagreeing on what I want to say and how. It will take a couple months till I fix the spell check that came with it.

skfullgun

Dances With Snakes
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Oct 14, 2017
    In the woods...
    Was thinking about putting the ol' Ruger single ten to use for them. What snake shot do you prefer? I have the CCI, but am thinking the Federal with the crimped front may be better?
    I like the crimped end .22 shot better than the CCI with the blue plastic tip. I've used the crimped ones on some pretty big Rattlers and it works well.

Oldbluered

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 18, 2019
    Bastrop area
    Most times they're either around/in my chicken house, pond or the dog finds them. Dog listens to "go", worst case a chicken gets hit and I have more prep for dinner.

satx78247

Member, Emeritus
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2014
    candcallen,

As my friends here know, I spent a lot of my Army career OCONUS & often living with the locals.

My Numero Uno RULE of "dinnertime" in a 3rd world society is: IF it tastes good do NOT ask what you are eating, as you may not want to know.

yours, satx

Last edited:

Whistler

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 28, 2014
    Northeast Texas
    I use the CCI in 9mm, just swap mags depending on where/what I'm doing around the place. If Mrs Whistler yells about one while I'm inside I grab the 12ga by the back door on the way out.

Over kill I suppose but the deader the better in my book when it comes to snakes

cvgunman

Not a Leftist douchebag!
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Oct 9, 2017
    Mckinney TX
    Had a guy bring a 357 mag revolver in to the range I worked at and wanted me to look at it before he shot it. Good thing I did as someone had been shooting the CCI's and the barrel was lined with plastic casings. One round with a 357 or 38 and I'm thinking he would have had a problem :)

Geezer

Mostly Peaceful
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 23, 2019
    Silsbee, Texas
    I traded for a Bond Arms Snake Slayer 45 Colt/410 a while back. I have shot a few 45's in it and it's pretty accurate at close range. But, I mainly wanted it to shoot 410. At about 8-10 feet it throws a pattern that would be hard on a snake. I hope I never get to use it on a snake.

snakeslayer.jpg

I also got a 22 LR barrel with it and I didn't see a purpose for it and I let someone else enjoy it.

Attachments

• snakeslayer.jpg
      snakeslayer.jpg
      95.2 KB · Views: 443

skfullgun

Dances With Snakes
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Oct 14, 2017
    In the woods...
    I have a Bond Arms also, and have just about every caliber barrel they made for it, except .22 and .22 WMR. It's just too heavy and big for .22. I'll take my NAA mini if I want a .22.
    Anybody tried the .22 shot in an NAA revolver for snakes?

Top Bottom