• ...and so much more!
  • Glenn B

Retired & Loving It
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 5, 2019
    Texarkana - Across The Border
    So exactly why is it you guys shoot every rattler & copperhead you see? They are pretty beneficial - at least so for the rattlers, and copperheads to some extent, as to how many rodents they kill. Of course, even though I like snakes - used to keep and breed several species of nonvenomous snakes - I've killed a few myself now and again for food (I like them but like eating them too). There is nothing bad about properly cleaned and cooked rattlesnake. Never tried copperhead and never will; while they eat rodents they also eat way too much of other things like frogs, other amphibians, insects (supposedly love cicadas among other insects) and such that probably make them taste terrible. Not saying that rattlers don't eat a varied diet but the ones I have gotten in AZ, CA & TX primarily ate small mammals. Mostly though, I leave venomous snakes alone and try to keep a good distance from them while at it.

I understand not wanting them around your house but if all of them were ever eliminated, you probably would soon regret the inevitable explosion of the rodent population. Anyway, be careful around them, you sure as heck do not want to be bitten by one of them. Rattlesnake and Water Moccasin bites can be extremely nasty; copperheads bad but usually not as bad. Don't forget those pretty little coral snakes, quite the deadly venom but supposedly a more pleasant way to go than from a rattler bite since their venom primarily shuts down your nervous system.
    Texas SOT

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    So exactly why is it you guys shoot every rattler & copperhead you see? They are pretty beneficial - at least so for the rattlers, and copperheads to some extent, as to how many rodents they kill. Of course, even though I like snakes - used to keep and breed several species of nonvenomous snakes - I've killed a few myself now and again for food (I like them but like eating them too). There is nothing bad about properly cleaned and cooked rattlesnake. Never tried copperhead and never will; while they eat rodents they also eat way too much of other things like frogs, other amphibians, insects (supposedly love cicadas among other insects) and such that probably make them taste terrible. Not saying that rattlers don't eat a varied diet but the ones I have gotten in AZ, CA & TX primarily ate small mammals. Mostly though, I leave venomous snakes alone and try to keep a good distance from them while at it.

I understand not wanting them around your house but if all of them were ever eliminated, you probably would soon regret the inevitable explosion of the rodent population. Anyway, be careful around them, you sure as heck do not want to be bitten by one of them. Rattlesnake and Water Moccasin bites can be extremely nasty; copperheads bad but usually not as bad. Don't forget those pretty little coral snakes, quite the deadly venom but supposedly a more pleasant way to go than from a rattler bite since their venom primarily shuts down your nervous system.

Don’t worry, we won’t kill all the snakes. Been trying for years and they’re still around.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

skfullgun

Dances With Snakes
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Oct 14, 2017
    In the woods...
    I don't go looking for them or hunt them. I do detest the danger they present to grandkids and pets. If they keep themselves out of my yard and off the path I beat, they have nothing to fear from me. If they meet me in the area I frequent I do my best to send them to hell - from whence they slithered.

I do believe that is the Biblically established human/snake juxtaposition.

skfullgun

Dances With Snakes
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Oct 14, 2017
    In the woods...
    I have a little Colt Cobra in .32 S&W long. Nost of the ammo I find for it are wadcutters. Was wondering what to dig with it.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
    Wadcutters are probably the best you can do on that little gem. It ain't nothing to sneeze at. You are looking at over twice the payload of a .22 moving at 3/4 the velocity.

Coiled

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 25, 2016
    SETX
    Don’t worry, we won’t kill all the snakes. Been trying for years and they’re still around.

raw.gif

Attachments

• raw.gif
      raw.gif
      611.8 KB · Views: 473

mongoose

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 10, 2012
    nm
    I have a little Colt Cobra in .32 S&W long. Nost of the ammo I find for it are wadcutters. Was wondering what to dig with it.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
    Check Midway, they have quite a bit of .32 S&W long. Including SJHP rounds.

Big Green

In Christ Alone
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 5, 2018
    College Station
    Saw our first one last weekend. Not sure what it was as he was in the other lane and I kept driving.

Only killed one last year, a 28” Copperhead that decided to visit my front door area.

We let the Timber Rattler live that my kids found.

I hate mice and things worse than snakes. We keep cats at the house to keep mice away. Any mice away from the house are certainly available for the snakes.

It took quite a bit of prodding to get him to actually rattle. I wanted my kids to hear what a rattlesnake actually sounded like.

Hoji

Bowling-Pin Commando
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Mustang Ridge
    Where is our resident herpetologist for this thread?
    I am sitting back laughing as threads like this cause soooooo many tier 1 operators to shit their diapers.

It is the height of hilarity.

It is even better when these tier 1 operators post pictures of the cottonhead coral rattlers they kill. Have lost count of how many king, rat, water, garter etc. snakes have been posted as something venomous.

Buncha sissies when it comes to snakes here sometimes.

oldag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 19, 2015

Because if I see it, it is in a location to be a threat to my family.

There are plenty of nonvenomous snakes to keep the rodent population in check.

Hoji

Bowling-Pin Commando
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Mustang Ridge
    Saw our first one last weekend. Not sure what it was as he was in the other lane and I kept driving.

Only killed one last year, a 28” Copperhead that decided to visit my front door area.

We let the Timber Rattler live that my kids found.

I hate mice and things worse than snakes. We keep cats at the house to keep mice away. Any mice away from the house are certainly available for the snakes.

It took quite a bit of prodding to get him to actually rattle. I wanted my kids to hear what a rattlesnake actually sounded like.

Beautiful canebrake. Good on you for giving it a pass.
    Now before all of the tier one operators change their diapers and start in on me for not killing snakes, let me say I do not have an issue with dispatching a venomous snake that decided your inhabited areas are ok for it hang out. Just don’t post pictures of the Great Plains Rat Snake you took a garden hoe to and boast about how you killed a copperhead.( one of y’all did this)

Darkpriest667

Actually Attends
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 13, 2017
    Jarrell TX, United States
    I am sitting back laughing as threads like this cause soooooo many tier 1 operators to shit their diapers.

It is the height of hilarity.

It is even better when these tier 1 operators post pictures of the cottonhead coral rattlers they kill. Have lost count of how many king, rat, water, garter etc. snakes have been posted as something venomous.

Buncha sissies when it comes to snakes here sometimes.

upload_2020-3-23_10-3-55.jpeg

Attachments

• upload_2020-3-23_10-3-55.jpeg
      upload_2020-3-23_10-3-55.jpeg
      13.4 KB · Views: 516

Whistler

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 28, 2014
    Northeast Texas
    I don't hunt snakes but I don't tolerate their presence. Not ashamed to admit they scare the shit out of me. If I see them they're dead, don't care what kind they are. Don't tolerate hogs, raccoons or coyotes either.

There's at least a dozen feral cats out there to keep the rodents under control. In fact had a battle with moles but haven't seen any more of them either.

skfullgun

Dances With Snakes
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Oct 14, 2017
    In the woods...
    Check Midway, they have quite a bit of .32 S&W long. Including SJHP rounds.
    In my experience, the .32 long jhp's do not perform well. At least not any better than the wadcutters. And they're loaded to about the same power level because of all the old revolvers out there. I don't believe there is enough velocity for them to expand. That's why I stick with the wadcutters in that little gun. When it arrives on target the front end of the projectile is already 32 caliber.

satx78247

Member, Emeritus
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2014
    skfullen,

.32 S&W Long & .32ACP is REALLY CHEAP to handload, as the cases are so small.

"Little brother" Ed loves his .32 pocket pistols (both S&W Long & .32ACP) & loads a +P+ HP for both that is A KILLER out to 25-30M.
    (Ed's EDC handgun is an ex-Italian Navy Beretta Model 82.)

TRUTH is that Ed could use a .22 SHORT for self defense, as he is THAT GOOD at precision shooting with pistol/revolver/rifle. = IF you can hit an intruder between the eyes, it probably makes little difference what you shoot him with.

yours, satx

Last edited:

satx78247

Member, Emeritus
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2014
    Hoji, et. al.,

I kill every "stump tail cottonmouth" that comes into our yard as we have children that often come to visit (Cottonmouths are AGGRESSIVE & because they are carrion eaters, their bite WILL give you an aggressive & "difficult to treat" infection whether or not they inject venom..) BUT leave alone the rest of the "legless friends".
    (I have NOT even heard/seen a rattle-tail around out farmhouse for several years though they are often spotted out in the pastures.)

Reference coral snakes: While their bite is DEADLY, they are shy/generally inoffensive & are SELDOM going to bite an adult AND they are too pretty to kill.

yours, satx
    Texas Master Naturalist

gdr_11

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 1, 2014
    I shamelessly stole this from a Texas Fishing Forum snake thread. Nice pic of a shed skin from an Australian guy's barn. Look at the smiles!!

bLvhetSl.jpg

Attachments

• bLvhetSl.jpg
      bLvhetSl.jpg
      102.5 KB · Views: 525

rotor

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 1, 2015
    Texas
    I have loaded .38 special capsule shotshells with #9 shot. The problem is you can't crimp them and if you shoot them in a very light revolver like an LCR, if you have more than one round the capsule will migrate and lock up the revolver. So, when in snakeland I carry snakeshot in my LCR as the first round. I tried .410 shotshell in a Governor and think I lost 1/2 of my hearing so don't do that.
    At my home I kill poisonous snakes if I see them because of the dogs.
    At my property-shooting range I leave them alone unless threatened. I think the hogs have really decimated them.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    I’ve got my Blackhawk loaded with alternating cylinders of shotshells and 125gr HPs.

Don’t mind putting one of each in a snake just to be sure.

If I’m in the house when I hear about it I just take a shotgun.

Those coppermockassin rattlemouths don’t stand a chance. Even if they’re just a chicken snake.

Rare to see a rattler around here. But not unheard of.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Josephn58333
    Top Bottom