• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Hoji

Bowling-Pin Commando
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Mustang Ridge
    I’ve got my Blackhawk loaded with alternating cylinders of shotshells and 125gr HPs.

Don’t mind putting one of each in a snake just to be sure.

If I’m in the house when I hear about it I just take a shotgun.

Those coppermockassin rattlemouths don’t stand a chance. Even if they’re just a chicken snake.

Rare to see a rattler around here. But not unheard of.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Best educated snake sissy on the forum.;)
    And I do remember that you actually have a legitimate reason for killing every snake you see.
    Guns International

gdr_11

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 1, 2014
    This may have been mentioned before for the CCI shotshells, but you can overcome the recoil effect on the shot cups if you glue them before use.

I bought a RIA .38 Spec revolver with a 4” barrel to use with snake shot. First time I used it, got lucky and killed the snake with the first shot because three of the shot cups slid forward and blocked the cylinder from rotating.

So, I took each round in the box and pulled the plastic shot cup out about 1/4” and then used a small artist brush to apply a band of super glue to the 1/4” I exposed then pushed the cups all the way back in. After drying, the cups stay put with no recoil effect.

rotor

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 1, 2015
    Texas
    This may have been mentioned before for the CCI shotshells, but you can overcome the recoil effect on the shot cups if you glue them before use.

I bought a RIA .38 Spec revolver with a 4” barrel to use with snake shot. First time I used it, got lucky and killed the snake with the first shot because three of the shot cups slid forward and blocked the cylinder from rotating.

So, I took each round in the box and pulled the plastic shot cup out about 1/4” and then used a small artist brush to apply a band of super glue to the 1/4” I exposed then pushed the cups all the way back in. After drying, the cups stay put with no recoil effect.
    I read about doing that but I thought there might be some weird problem with 1/2 of the capsule not coming out doing that. They really should make the plastic with a cannelure to crimp into for those that load their own.

satx78247

Member, Emeritus
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2014
    To All,

What I really wish that some company would make is a single shot 3-inch .410/.45 Colt caliber version of the old H&R Handy Gun with a 8-10" tube.

I'd buy one for sure. = Since the barrel would be polygon- rifled, it would NOT be an AOW but it would be a snake-killer & small game hunting handgun DELUXE, with shot or bullet.
    (Until I left the City Marshal's job LONG AGO, I had one that I routinely carried in the I-H Scout.= Whoever the Marshal is now, probably still carries it.)

yours, satx

Big Green

In Christ Alone
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 5, 2018
    College Station
    Driving to work on Monday there was one at the end of the road. Only got a quick glance but color and from what I could see I think it was a Timber. Really wish I’d had more time to stop and investigate, they really are beautiful creatures.

satx78247

Member, Emeritus
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2014
    Well it's been a week now since Susie the puppy got snake bit. Most of the swelling has gone down, and she seems no the worse for getting bit.

Since she is so well mannered, we decided to let her be our new house puppy!

Axxe55,

Fwiw, I once had an English Pointer bitch that was bitten by a copperhead when she was a pup. - Thereafter, SHEBA would point poisonous snakes & then "back off".
    (She probably kept me from getting snake-bitten more than once, as there were numerous "velvet-tails" where our lease was in those long ago days.)

yours, satx

oldag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 19, 2015
    Well it's been a week now since Susie the puppy got snake bit. Most of the swelling has gone down, and she seems no the worse for getting bit.

Since she is so well mannered, we decided to let her be our new house puppy!
    We have our dog vaccinated for the snake bites.

oldag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 19, 2015

Hoji

Bowling-Pin Commando
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Mustang Ridge
    Been using it for over ten years, no harm done.

And the article is correct in that the vaccine is not necessarily effective against every snake species venom. And a high enough dose of venom might overwhelm it.

Figure it can't hurt. Vets report it can help from their experience.
    Cool. If your dog isn’t one of the ones that have a negative reaction to it, and it is not hurting anything.

wanted to throw that out there for folks thinking about starting this vaccine.

satx78247

Member, Emeritus
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2014
    oldag; Hoji,

THANKS, Gents. = I've never even heard of a vaccine against snakebite until now. ====> GOOD TO KNOW for sure.

yours, satx

skfullgun

Dances With Snakes
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Oct 14, 2017
    In the woods...
    Killed two good size water mocassins today. We had about 6" of rain in the past few days, and the property is really,really wet. I rode the four-wheeler down to the creek where I have a 30' pipe bridge. They were laying on the pipes (similar to a cattleguard, but opposite direction) sunning. Two rounds of 9mm later, they dropped 25' into the creek below!
    They stunk like something dead - which they were soon to be!
    I will boast about killing them with one shot apiece only because it significantly improves my average and makes up for last year when I missed a copperhead with 7 rounds of .380 and had to kill him with a big stick!

Vaquero

Moving stuff to the gas prices thread.....
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 4, 2011
    Dixie Land
    Do your homework. There are breeds of dog that it is not recommended for. Can’t think of what they are off the top of my head, but it causes severe seizures and even death.
    Mocha got the rattlesnake vaccinations last year.
    No side effects at all.

Top Bottom