• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • okie556

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    Longview, TX
    Have owned guns all my life and never had a need for Snap Caps. I recently purchased a Sig P938 and I love everything about the gun except the trigger pull. Was suggested that I buy some snap caps and dry fire A LOT and maybe that will help. Could I just use a empty 9mm case or is snap cap a must. Also, do you think dry firing a few hundred times will really help or should I just take it to a gunsmith?
    Lynx Defense

The Dave

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 17, 2012
    All over the world
    you can make snap caps by using a nail to tap out the fired cap from a used case and then fill the primer well with something like a small bit of pencil eraser or silicone. The idea is that you are giving the firing pin something to hit and slow down before it reaches its full length of travel and it slams into the housing. I thought it mainly applied to rimfire firearms, but then I had a H&R handi-rifle snap the pin from dry firing now I pull the hammer back and either use a snap cap or just ease the hammer home.

navyguy

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    DFW Keller
    Better yet. Forget about snap caps on hammer fired pistols. Just put a foam earplug (or a small piece if it won't fit) wedged in front of the hammer. Better then snap caps, as there is zero energy transfer to the firing pin. Some people put a small rubber O-ring in there and that works pretty good too.

Let me know if you don't know what I'm talking about and I'll post a picture.

Bozz10mm

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 5, 2013
    Georgetown
    Dry firing several hundred times might smooth the trigger pull some, but, I bet it's not going to reduce the actual pull weight by much at all. Have you tested the pull weight with a trigger scale? A trigger scale is a very useful tool. If you do end up taking the pistol to a gunsmith, you will know exactly how much the pull was reduced.

Last edited:

okie556

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    Longview, TX
    Foam ear plug or o'ring both good ideas but as suggested, I think I will also have the trigger pull tested. I'm not sure what 7.5-8.5 pounds feels like but I'm betting mine is more than 8.5. Could be my imagination but seemed like the first mag or two it was better then got worse. It's brand new and I guess it could have gotten a small burr or something in it. I'll report back what I find out is the problem.

navyguy

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    DFW Keller
    My P238 measures in at about 8 lbs. I have a cheap-o spring gauge that I'm thinking is + - 1/2 - 1/4 lb or so. I don't think trigger pull will be reduced by much from dry fire (or shooting) but will make the shooter accustom to the trigger, and that's the real point of dry fire. I'm very happy with what I can do with my 8 lb trigger which I need to pull on the second joint and not finger pad. Not near what I can shoot with a nice SA 1911 or my Sig P228, but acceptable for what the gun is designed for. It is of course a CQ defense pistol, not a target shooter.

TheDan

deplorable malcontent scofflaw
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    The P938's stock trigger pull is pretty damn heavy. With a little tweaking on the spring I got both of mine to around 6.5lbs. I didn't want to do too much as I do carry it... Internally it's pretty similar to a 1911, so you can use any 1911 guide out there on adjusting the spring tension. Dry firing it 1000 times will smooth it out some, but it's not going to do much for the weight of the pull.

okie556

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    Longview, TX
    My P238 measures in at about 8 lbs. I have a cheap-o spring gauge that I'm thinking is + - 1/2 - 1/4 lb or so. I don't think trigger pull will be reduced by much from dry fire (or shooting) but will make the shooter accustom to the trigger, and that's the real point of dry fire. I'm very happy with what I can do with my 8 lb trigger which I need to pull on the second joint and not finger pad. Not near what I can shoot with a nice SA 1911 or my Sig P228, but acceptable for what the gun is designed for. It is of course a CQ defense pistol, not a target shooter.
    I'm curious to see what my pull is. I am used to shooting my Springfield EMP and S & W E-Series so I may need to adjust finger placement on trigger as well.

navyguy

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    DFW Keller
    I'm curious to see what my pull is. I am used to shooting my Springfield EMP and S & W E-Series so I may need to adjust finger placement on trigger as well.

The pull is so short, for me with medium sized hands, I can't first finger pad pull. Well I guess I could, but I'd never be able to do it in a defense/draw situation, so there is no need to even practice that.

ROGER4314

Been Called "Flash" Since I Was A Kid!
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    Guns are machines/tools and I've owned a lot of them. I dry fire the hell out of every firearm and have had almost NO issues with that. I peened over a 1911 firing pin but a few minutes with an abrasive fixed that. Dry firing ruined an AR-15 mag release and that cost about $12. I advised a friend (a new pistol shooter) to dry fire his CZ and it broke the firing pin. I felt badly about that but it only cost a few bucks to repair it.

If you're going to worry about it, by all means get snap caps. I have never owned nor used them. If dry firing screws something up, I fix it.

Flash

STXdevilsquid

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 14, 2013
    Live Oak
    Going to the rifle range and "snapping" in for a week, just something you do in the military, a whole week of laying on your belly and pulling the trigger before you ever sling lead down range, and no snap caps used.

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    LandenR
    Top Bottom