• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DCortez

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 28, 2009
    Houston, Cy-Fair
    Passing on an email I got. All I can say is WOW! Link to video after the text.

You really need to watch the video. It is quite impressive. They never saw it coming. Canadian Sniper wiping out Taliban Snipers in Afghanistan. These video shots are not made through the shooter's telescopic sight. They are made looking through the spotter's scope. The spotter lies right next to the sniper and helps the sniper to find and home in on the target. The sniper is using a 50 calibre rifle. A 50 cal. round is about 7-8 inches long and the casing is about an inch in diameter. The bullet itself is one-half inch in diameter and roughly one and one-half inches long. Pay close attention to the beginning of the video. A Taliban is laying on top of the peak in front of you... when you hear the shot fired....watch what happens. The sniper is also about a half mile away...or more. A Canadian sniper in Afghanistan has been confirmed as hitting an enemy soldier at a range of 2,310 meters (7565 ft/1.43 miles), the longest recorded and confirmed sniper hot in history.

The previous record of 2,250 meters (7369 ft/1.4 miles) was set by US Marine sniper Carlos Hathcock in Vietnam in 1967. The Canadian sniper was at an altitude of 8,500 feet and the target, across a valley, was at 9,000 feet. Canadian sniper units often operated in support of US infantry units, which were grateful for their help. The record lasted only one day, until a second Canadian sniper hit an enemy soldier at 2,400 meters (7860 feet/1.48 miles). The Canadian snipers fire special 50-calibre McMillan tactical rifles, which are bolt-action weapons with five-round magazines. The Canadian snipers were the only Canadian troops operating without helmets or flak jackets as they had too much other equipment to carry. Each three-man team has one sniper rifle, three standard rifles Canadian (C7s), one of them with a 203mm grenade launcher.

YouTube - Sniper in Afghanistan (Carmina Burana - O Fortuna)
    Hurley's Gold

DCortez

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 28, 2009
    Houston, Cy-Fair
    sorry, but in that video those are animals, not humans....

you can clearly see one of them (animal) run to where it stops and gets hit, not only that the flying remains don't even resemble a human...

I dunno, I saw something that looked like a human arm flying through the air. Either way, any marksmanship that is greater than mine is to be admired.

I read the comments on the video. Since this post is purely for entertainment purposes on an off topic internet forum, not a documentary, I wasn't interested in doing a journalistic investigation.

SIG_Fiend

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 21, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Yep, definitely a fake. It's just people long range hunting animals. There isn't a camcorder in existence with a zoom lens capable of that sort of range. ;)

robocop10mm

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 9, 2009
    Round Rock
    But, isn't it illegal to use a .50 as an anti personnel round? Oh that's right, The sniper was aiming for the rifle (equipment) and the guy ot in the way.

SIG_Fiend

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 21, 2008
    Austin, TX
    There was an actual JAG ruling awhile ago that determined that .50bmg is NOT banned for use against personnel. I actually read the ruling somewhere on an official DOD, JAG or other government site, though I can't find it right now. I mean think about it. It would be absolutely preposterous to ban something like .50bmg when you can still use mortars, rocket launchers, jdams, and all sorts of other significantly larger and more devastating ordnance against personnel. Personally, I think all of this Hague/Geneva convention crap about more "humane" conduct during warfare is just pure and utter BS. I mean the goal of war is to kill, defeat your enemy by any means necessary, win by attrition if necessary. Just kill the MF'ers. It's funny when some group (always the damn Europeans) sits down and tries to come up with some guidelines about how war should be more civilized. F that, it's war, it will never be civilized so just kill the MF'ers and get on with it. ;)

lonewolf23c

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 2, 2008
    Idaho
    There was an actual JAG ruling awhile ago that determined that .50bmg is NOT banned for use against personnel. I actually read the ruling somewhere on an official DOD, JAG or other government site, though I can't find it right now. I mean think about it. It would be absolutely preposterous to ban something like .50bmg when you can still use mortars, rocket launchers, jdams, and all sorts of other significantly larger and more devastating ordnance against personnel. Personally, I think all of this Hague/Geneva convention crap about more "humane" conduct during warfare is just pure and utter BS. I mean the goal of war is to kill, defeat your enemy by any means necessary, win by attrition if necessary. Just kill the MF'ers. It's funny when some group (always the damn Europeans) sits down and tries to come up with some guidelines about how war should be more civilized. F that, it's war, it will never be civilized so just kill the MF'ers and get on with it. ;)

Well I sure as hell wouldn't carry around a truck load of weapons for specific purposes. If that is the weapon I have, that's the weapon I'm going to use.

DCortez

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 28, 2009
    Houston, Cy-Fair
    Darn video is gone??? Search YouTube for Afgan Sniper or there abouts. I SWEAR I saw a human arm fly through the air. Others are claiming it was a rabbit with a human arm.... TBC ...

SIG_Fiend

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 21, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Darn video is gone??? Search YouTube for Afgan Sniper or there abouts. I SWEAR I saw a human arm fly through the air. Others are claiming it was a rabbit with a human arm.... TBC ...

Lol, the laws of physics prevent a .50bmg round from having enough mass and inertia to throw a grown @ss man off the side of a mountain. Now being peppered by a few hundred 30mm HEI rounds in the span of a couple seconds from a A10 Thunderbolt may actually blow a hadji off the side of a mountain, and in fact probably already has many times. ;)

ReVrEnD_0341

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 22, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Never seen a person get shot by a .50BMG and go flying through the air. They do slap the ground pretty freakin hard though.

The Canadian sniper does currently hold the record for the longest confirmed sniper kill. However, he used a rifle designed specifically for the sniper's mission, where Gunny Hathcock used an M2 .50BMG with starlight scope. The Gunny's shot is still more impressive in my book.

Top Bottom