• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cb51

Feb 8, 2017
    Georgetown Tx.
    Okay, here's what I'm wondering;

In a choice between a J frame S&W airtight revolver like a 642 with a 1 and 7/8ths barrel, and a Ruger LCP 2 with a 2 3/4 barrel, is there going to be much difference in actual power transfer to target? I know the .380 is a lower power power round than a lot of the .28 special defense loads, but the little Ruger does have a bit longer barrel.

These are the two guns I'm seriously looking at for a small personal defense gun to be carried all the time.

Also, is the Ruger LCP2 safe to carry with a loaded chamber like the Glock?
    Military Camp

sucker76

Don't let the username fool you
    Nov 15, 2015
    Lake Jackson
    First, I carry my Tarrus TCP with the chamber loaded. It is similar to the LCP. I have both a S&W 642 and the TCP. They are both easy to conceal and carry. I think a non +p 38 special load will be similar to a 380 from both guns we are talking about. For bullet performance, Check the Luckygunner ballistics gel tests of both. They did micro gun tests.

Kar98

TGT Addict
    Aug 8, 2016
    DFW
    J frame S&W airtight revolver like a 642 with a 1 and 7/8ths barrel, and a Ruger LCP 2 with a 2 3/4 barrel
    These are the two guns I'm seriously looking at for a small personal defense gun to be carried all the time.

Why?

Jan 5, 2012
    HK
    You've indicated concern about the safety of the semi auto Ruger. That concerns compounds when you stick it down your waist band. Especially using the appendix carry. It's unsettling knowing a live round is pointing at your block and tackle. Or your buttocks using a side or rear carry.

The only way to get over the concern is a slight faith the Ruger won't go off. Then again, the concern never go's away. I carry a Glock 42. I've also carried a lot of other handguns as law enforcement. Even with all that, I don't care for a chambered Glock being pointed at things I need.

Then you have the 642 Smith. With that you can throw it down the street, drop it, bunch it. If the hammer isn't back. It's a one off chunk of metal holding rounds. Revolvers give the user different feelings on the safety aspect. It's the hammer.

I wouldn't buy a 380. Not when a 9mm does it better, it's more available, and it's cheaper.

38 special is old school. One of my favorite rounds to shoot out a Ruger Vaquero. The Smith 642 isn't something you enjoy practice shooting for extended periods of time. It's meant to send bullets at bad guys who are at close distance. The low power 38spc isn't bad. Hotter loads like +P will work your wrists.

Kar98

TGT Addict
    Aug 8, 2016
    DFW
    Other alternatives: Glock 43, Sig 938, Kimber Micro 9, Walther PPS, loaded with modern defense loads.

Mikewood

Well-Known
    Jan 8, 2011
    Houston
    I have and carry both of these guns to answer your second question YES the Ruger is safe to carry with one in the chamber like a Glock.

The first question is a bit more complicated. There is little to no difference in the stopping power of a 38 special, a 380 ACP. Both are pistol rounds and therefore will likely require multiple center mass hits to stop a threat. This is true of all pistols and even carbines like the 5.56. Many gun experts include 308 and 12 gauge buckshot.

Are these a good choice. Yes and no. I find the LCP excellent for packing with minimal recoil but poor sights. Say 10yds and closer. They are great for cargo board shorts at the beach.

The j frames are three times wider than the LCP but still pretty easy to pack.

Consider crimson trace laser grips for either gun to be used as a backup to the iron sights.

If your looking at the LCP consider the LC380 or LC9. Its a bit bigger but realistically just as easy to pack.

Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

ZX9RCAM

Over the Rainbow bridge...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.
    First, I carry my Tarrus TCP with the chamber loaded. It is similar to the LCP. I have both a S&W 642 and the TCP. They are both easy to conceal and carry. I think a non +p 38 special load will be similar to a 380 from both guns we are talking about. For bullet performance, Check the Luckygunner ballistics gel tests of both. They did micro gun tests.
    The TCP is rated for +P rounds.
    I carry Buffalo Bore in mine.
    Shooting more than a mag full is not fun.

sucker76

Nov 15, 2015
    Lake Jackson
    I don't think I have ever shot any +P in my TCP or 642 even though they are rated for them. I bet they are a lot to hold on to.

BTW I carry both and never feel under gunned. I'm not getting into the 380 vs 9mm etc but that's my view.

studenygreg

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Oct 7, 2015
    I had a lcp and hates everything about it other than its size and weight. I bought a colt mustang pocketlite and actually enjoy shooting it at the range.
    Message_1500596274497.jpg

Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk

sucker76

Nov 15, 2015
    Lake Jackson
    I also have a Sig P238 which is like the Colt Mustang. It IS a lot nicer to shoot than the TCP. It's a little wider but just as easy to conceal. I can't remember if it's rated for +P though.

robertc1024

Staff member
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Jan 22, 2013
    San Marcos
    I've carried two similar guns, albeit a bit bigger a Ruger LC9s & SP101. I much prefer the LC9s because it is so slim. Oddly, I find it much more comfortable to shoot than an LCP. If you can handle the slightly larger size, I'd recommend it highly.

V-Tach

Watching While the Sheep Graze
    Lifetime Member
    Sep 30, 2012
    Texas
    I occasionally carry an LCP and a 642......both are adequate....and extremely easy to carry...

Single actions like the P238, the Colt Mustang and the Browning 1911 380.....( I have all 3) I'm not comfortable carrying without them being in a holster of some type....The LCP fits my shirt pockets nicely...the 642 in my jean pockets....although I do have holsters for them too depending on dress and activities......jmho...

Davetex

TGT Addict
    Mar 27, 2010
    Greers Ferry Lake
    I've carried two similar guns, albeit a bit bigger a Ruger LC9s & SP101. I much prefer the LC9s because it is so slim. Oddly, I find it much more comfortable to shoot than an LCP. If you can handle the slightly larger size, I'd recommend it highly.

^This^ I really, really like the LC9s. I carry it OWB in a Caldwell retention holster. It's the best setup I've ever tried. And I've tried a bunch.

Charlie

TGT Addict
    Mar 19, 2008
    'Top of the hill, Kerr County!
    I occasionally carry a 642 with 357 magnums in it but I also carry it with snakeshot and semi-wad cutter lead ammo when I'm mowing. I personally wouldn't carry a .380 for self defense but there is nothing wrong with them. I just feel like if I ever do have to shoot at some one, I want the most powerful caliber I can carry for the occassion. Just my two bits.

Last edited:

satx78247

Member, Emeritus
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Jun 23, 2014
    To All,

IF you handload, a 200 grain lead bullet out of a snub-nose .38SPL revolver is SUPERIOR for SD to ANY .380ACP & to MOST 9x18 or 9x19mm rounds.,
    (When I was with the OPCSO in NOLA our detectives carried that round & after seeing the results of a hit to the K5 area at several autopsies, I can assure you that it "makes a mess" inside the thorax. = The "old school" so-called "Super Police" 200 grain FN/RN lead bullet TUMBLES inside the body.)

yours, satx

hoghunting

Sep 24, 2014

hoghunting

Sep 24, 2014
    I completely agree too, the LC9s is a lot more comfortable to shoot than the LCP. After buying the LC9s, I sold the LCP.

Edit:
    Not sure how this ended up in another post as I was replying to robertc1024's post. Oh well, that's life!

Jan 5, 2012
    HK
    I occasionally carry an LCP and a 642......both are adequate....and extremely easy to carry...

Single actions like the P238, the Colt Mustang and the Browning 1911 380.....( I have all 3) I'm not comfortable carrying without them being in a holster of some type....The LCP fits my shirt pockets nicely...the 642 in my jean pockets....although I do have holsters for them too depending on dress and activities......jmho...

That's my take too. There's no way I'd carry the 42 loosely in my pocket. It'd be in there with car keys, a lighter, and a clipped on benchmade. Something(Murphy) stands a chance of pushing that famous glock safety down. The Smith will just get scratched up. I've been eyeballing a performance tuned 642. Nice thing is it already comes with the hook grip.

skfullgun

Dances With Snakes
    Oct 14, 2017
    In the woods...
    I have carried a J-Frame for decades. Mostly, I use a Barami Clip-Draw and carry SOB. I'm comfortable with that weapon and mode of carry 75% of the time.

I might mention that I have to wear slacks, dress shirt, and necktie everyday but Friday, and my employment does not allow me to carry on facility grounds. In Houston, it is TOO hot to conceal using a jacket most of the year, so I do occassionally carry an LCP in a pocket holster when not at work (when stopping on the way to, or from work, to run into a store, etc.).

I've done some research on the .38 vs. 380, and feel comfortable with either. You get a couple more rounds with the LCP, but the .38 projectiles are significantly heavier.

I have found that, dressed casually, I can easily conceal a G26, or even a 1911, in a Fobus style paddle holster simply by leaving my shirt untucked. I do this when I am headed to certain places where I feel the need to carry a higher powered weapon.

When I take out the garbage, or during the heat of the summer when I'm wearing a pair of light shorts, the LCP is so unnoticeable in a paddle holster that I sometimes forget it is there.

Look up "Final Results of the .380 ACP Ammo Quest". You will find some good info about .380 performance. The Fiochhi extremas performed very well.

Kar98

TGT Addict
    Aug 8, 2016
    DFW
    That's my take too. There's no way I'd carry the 42 loosely in my pocket. It'd be in there with car keys, a lighter, and a clipped on benchmade. Something(Murphy) stands a chance of pushing that famous glock safety down.

Get yourself one of these?

gTDc2sN.jpg

Top Bottom